“Out-of-town Tranquility” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #109 of 1,177 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Whitwick, UK
“Out-of-town Tranquility”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We just stayed here for one night B&B, but what a gem of a find! Wonderfully quiet and secluded out-of-town location, beautiful grounds, first class accommodation. We had our own private pool behind the chalet room! Excellent breakfast, extremely accommodating staff.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vanellus01

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Paris France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

Terra Mia is the perfect dream place, for either a romantic getaway, a family with kids or just relaxing in a rural, Moroccan suburb. I was looking for a mix of a relaxing vacation with some city life. This was the perfect balance.

The main riad is new and traditionally decorated (which means beautiful) right down to every detail. It gives you the feeling of living in Moroccan luxury. I even stayed all day a few times, just enjoying the beauty and solitude.The setting is lavished in desert scape botanicals, citrus trees, flowers, cacti. There are even a couple of roaming peacocks.

It's a family run business, and Omar and Maliki live there, along with their son ( Hakim) and his family. But they do not live in the same riad. They are extremely discrete, yet totally at your service if you need something.

As other reviewers mentioned, you are left on your own at first ( after showing you your room). This is a good technique for feeling at home, but you will still need to get your bearings ...As I said before, do ask questions right away and express your desires.

During the day, If you don't see them around, Maliki lives in the riad behind the main one, next to the kitchen. The door is opened for questions.

Breakfast is included, served at 8:00. But since I jog in the mornings before the kitchen staff arrived, they left me pre-running snacks, the evening before (banana, bread and coffee) in the lounge area. I then would eat the full breakfast upon my return.

Things I wish I knew right away...

You can tweak the breakfast a little. I am not a starch lover, and found out my last day that Maliki , the owner, would have been happy to offer me more fruit instead. Of course, don't abuse this nor expect a personal menu, like eggs and bacon!

There is a kitchen and lounge area ( which is not obvious) so you'll want to ask where it is . You can make hot drinks there so I was sorry I didn't bring tea bags.

Their dinner menu was very expensive (for my budget). I personally found the food way too oily but they said they would tweak that as well, to just ask In advance. On the other hand, I always asked for veggies as a side, they were very good.

Obviously eating in the medina is much cheaper and also really good! The tagine in the medina is about is 3 euro as opposed to 13 at the riad. But you will not find wine or beer in the madina, as you will at the riad (their wine is 18 euro, and their cheapest beer is 5). So it's a give and take situation.

The girls who work at the riad only speak Arab, they are so sweet and will do anything to try to understand. Keep extra coins to tip them individually. If you have something important to discuss, and don't speak Arabic, make sure you speak with one if the owners.

The wifi does not work in the bedroom, and is a weak connection almost everywhere else. I know they are working on getting a better connection.

The only negative point...

They are really strict about not having food or drinks from outside and you may not cook your own food or bring in any snacks. This is for obvious reasons, but for me, it was the only negative point and I think they should be more flexible. It is the first time I experienced this so strictly in a B n B.

Because of my jogging, I like to eat almonds and dates, or an energy bar before hand but I didn't dare. I also like to munch on the cheap delicious fruit in the day, that you could buy in the city, but felt restricted to bringing any back with me. I think this is where people feel manipulated into having to buy something at their riad.

It's true, for my budget, my biggest expense was eating their dinners. That said, it was my choice because I could have eaten in the medina and come back with their free navet at 20:00.

Other good things to know.

The hosts provide airport pickup and drop off . if you have a flight before 8:00 in they morning, they will arrange a taxi (20 euro).

Reserve your pick up time at the airport , the day before you arrive. If you don't speak Arabic,
make sure you speak with someone at the riad who speaks your language (French or English)

They also provide free transport to the medina, twice a day at fixed times but are also flexible depending on the other passengers. For example, if you want to leave earlier or later , the other passengers need to agree. I am not sure they promote this flexibility, but they did when I was there.

The owners will give you their personal cell phone numbers to call if you need to.

Get a special phone deal before leaving, I spent a fortune In texting.

The center artisanal is where Terra Mia will leave you and pick you up. It is a shopping gift center, with fixed prices. I did all my shopping there. You'll find most of the same things you'd find in the souks but without having to haggle.

If you want a private guide (35 euros) for Marrakech, be prepared that all the guides will try to promote his friend's businesses. You may ask that Maliki or her son, Hakim tell the guide that he shouldn't be pushy if you are not interested in carpets, etc... Also have an idea of the sites you want to see and tell him to include them in the tour. I would also ask the guide to orientate you right away, so you feel more comfortable about venturing alone.

Treat yourself to a massage. The riad will set it up and she'll come to your room with her table. Ask for Zahira, I did an hour massage (45 euro) with her and it was the best ever! Save it as a treat for your last day. Be sure to have extra money to tip her. The 45 euro is not all hers, the agency takes a percentage.

Omar, the owner has great knowledge of hiking. If you want to hike, he'll have great tips for you.

Woman...

Cover your low cut shirts or dresses with a scarf to avoid attention on your boobs, otherwise, I was lone traveler and had ( nearly) no hassle. Be polite but firm when rejecting people's trinkets, "Non merci"...

I received one lewd comment, and I said ( in French) " shame on you! Would you like someone to speak like that to your mother? "... The guy apologized about 10 times!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank leezapye
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

We are a family of five from the UK. We stayed in a two room suite with a pool at the Riad at the end of December 2013. It was our first time in Morocco and our expectations were based on previous reviews and guide books to Marrakesch.

The pool is not heated and is not really useable in the winter months – even though we had great weather (18c to 23c the week we were there). I can imagine the pool being a great feature in the warmer/ hot months – especially following a hard day in the city itself.

Once you are at the Riad your options are limited as there is nothing within walking distance of interest. However the return shuttle from town usually gets back at 9pm in the evening.

Omar the owner and his sons were great – organising day trips for us to Ulrika valley and Essauoira on the coast. Their advice and being available at the end of the (mobile) phone meant we were able to have an effective time all the time we were there.

Would definitely recommend Terra Mia – especially for families and first time travellers to the city – you’ll need some peace and quiet after a busy day.

Room Tip: Go for a suite - you'll have your own pool!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Henley on Thames
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed in Fiz villa for 3 nights at the end of December and can only echo what previous reviewers have said. We were met at the airport as promised, the villa was very clean and the bed was large and comfortable.

There were 2 bathrooms as well as 2 bedrooms and a comfortable lounge where we had dinner set out for us one night.

All of the staff were unfailingly helpful and friendly, and although our French is very bad we muddled through. A couple of the staff speak good English. The shuttle to town was great.

We loved the peace and quiet and spent much of the time sunbathing and reading books, with just a couple of forays into Marrakech itself.

I'd highly recommend Terra Mia.

Room Tip: Get a villa.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank honeyHenleyonThames
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Great bet for first time visitors to Marrakech who might find a central hotel overwhelming. Perfectly located with beautifully manicured lawns and gardens. I've been to La Mamounia, Kasbah Agafay and Amanjena and it was really important to us to find a smaller, more intimate, quiet riad that served traditional food. Spot on. We were so very well looked after - staff were charming, helpful and committed to making sure we had everything we needed - what lovely LOVELY people. Can highly recommend staying on site for supper for one or two evenings (ask to have your table laid outside facing to pool, gorgeously romantic). Tagines were delicious and if their nougat parfait is on the menu, go for it! Can highly recommend for a long weekend destination from London. Great for couples who want to get away from city life!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hannahnoushka
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

If you are looking for a destination in the heart of Marrakech then stop reading ..... This is a marvelous place to stay with the most amazing welcome from a very lovely and cosmopolitan family who hail from Rabat. The fact that it is a short distance outside the city centre was a welcome relief for us - this is an oasis from the (significant) hustle and bustle of the Medina. They have a shuttle bus into the centre which we used daily and the short 15 minute journey is a good opportunity to plan a day out or relax after a meal in Jamma el-fnaa.

We travelled with children and Hakim upgraded us to a villa which was just ideal. The kids loved the private pool and we had some really good Moroccan food in the Ryad. Nothing is too much trouble for them and all of the family speak perfect English. The kids loved breakfast here - carb fuelled but subtly different every day.

Hakim organised a driver to take us to the Atlas Mountains for the day and also the transfer to our next destination. Hakim went well beyond the call of duty to make sure our return journey went smoothly and it really did make a massive difference having him onside.

Terra Mia absolutely deserves its Tripadvisor rating. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: The Ryad is lovely but the extra touch of a private pool with a villa is best if your budget allows.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Ipswich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

If you've stayed for a few days in the Medina, Terra Mia is a welcome retreat.

We spent 4 nights in the beautiful Riad (there are also villas with private pools scattered around the grounds). The room was huge, comfortable and very good value, especially given that we were one of only two couples staying there, so had the pool almost to ourselves.

The food was good, but nothing special (a bit too salty for my liking). The service was also fine, if a little impersonal at times; although that may have been on purpose, because it would have been weird if they were hanging around when it was only the two of us at the hotel.

Room Tip: We didn't bother with a massage or hammam, as they were pretty expensive compared to the Medina.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple