“A small and beautifully designed riad in the midst of the bustling medina”
Review of Riad Diana

Riad Diana
Ranked #67 of 501 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We just returned from an extended weekend, spending three nights at the Riad Diana. I must say that we can really recommend this place in all respects. The prebooked transfer from and later to the airport was reliable and went without any problems. Boujemao and his members of staff were always very helpful and did a quiet and decent job. The interior design can be described as subtle Morrocan: Traditional items here and there, but not too ornate. We stayed in the Junior Suite Arba on the first floor, spacious and nicely shaped. The rooftop terrace with various flowers is an oasis of peace in the hectic of the medina of Marrakech. We really liked the place and almost felt like home. Thanks a lot to all the staff that made this possible!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 1 June 2012

My girlfriend and I just returned from an amazing 4 nights in Marrakech and stayed in this beautiful Riad. Having worked in the Travel Industry, I can be sceptical and hard to impress but this place...

Oh my word....

The decor was subtle yet traditional, airy and bright. The nightman.. named Said (who seemed to be there all day aswell) couldn't do enough for you. I.e. He went out at 1am to get us cigarettes and a bottle of diet coke! Cooked us meals after hours and after long days of excursions. There are two ladies who are there too; who's names i'm so sorry i didn't catch. Madamme in the kitchen who made breakfasts was up before breakfast had even started to be served as we were going out early on excursions. The second lady was the Masseuse who is apprantly very good at what she does! <<--- Thank you all so much for making our stay stress free and for being so welcoming... And for helping us both with our French.

The room we were given wasn't the biggest of rooms at the Riad (We did see one on the ground floor that was a lot bigger) but it was without any doubt the most private room and if you are a sucker for a view, you are in for a treat. We were given, what i've seen on here, the room known as the terrace suite. Its at the very top of the Riad. The room was basic as i was expecting but there was bottled water on arrival which we both appreciated and got through rather rapidly in the 30+ degree heat and it did have Air Conditioning which was a lot more powerful than it looked. I didn't find the bedding particularly comfortable - A duvet would've been preferreable to a thick blanket. We did find some but they weren't kingsize. I'm not sure if it was because it was a rule of the Riad, but i think the terrace is private to the suite after a certain time at night because between 10:30pm and 11pm everyone had retreated and it was just us... Which was lovely because the terrace was beautifully lit with flowers and tables and a large awning to stay under with big comfortable sofas. There was also a top deck on top of the room which had an amazing view at night of the Koutoubia Mosque. Nature is everywhere - Little birds flying in and out of the riad and a couple of lizards climbing on the walls outside.

The location can't be rivalled. You're just 75 yards away from the unmissable experience of the Dar Es Salaam restaurant and a short walk of about 5 minutes in a straight line to the Jemma El Fna. It can be a little intimidating in the road you walk on and can be claustrophobic. If you are uncomfortable, Said will show you the way - He did for us and i'm so appreciative he did because the food was stupidly good.

One Let down... And for me it was quite big especially considering i had booked this trip through the company i had previously worked for and he should have understood that i was trustworthy with it.. Boujemaie the manager. He was very accommodating at the beginning of the trip and I was very happy that he was there. He made us breakfast late on the first day after a long day before hand which i very much appreciated. On the last day, check out is 11:30am - Not a problem. My girlfriend was having a Hammam and massage at the time so i packed the room up. I had plenty of time in which to do this. I ran downstairs and met Boujemaie at the desk and asked him if i could take a cup of coffee to the room, this was about 10:15. Immediately, he said "You will pay me now" and seemed to ignore that i was asking for a cup of coffee. I agreed in confusion more than anything else as i thought i still had some time left. He then told me i had to pay in cash. I know the Riad accepts card because its stamped on the cupboard door at the back. I wasn't impressed when he sent me to the jemma el fna to get cash - Especially considering 6 of the cashpoints in the square had no money in them. I came back and explained this to him but rather than accepting my card he asked Said to accompany me to another cashpoint. Said helpfully took me to another cashpoint which happened to be somewhat closer to the Riad (So i'm not impressed he sent me to the square) which did have money - Again, thank you Said.
An hour had passed, i'd been on a goose-chase for some cash, and with it paid, i still didn't get the coffee i had originally asked for - It was 11:15 and he said he wanted me out at 11:30. After explaining that my girlfriend was with the masseuse, he agreed to let us use the room till she was finished. After the inconvenience caused, we had no intention of leaving quickly. I understand the man wants his money but i had a room to pack by 1130 and a card that worked just fine - Don't send someone out for an hour to get you money then still expect them to be out at normal check in - It's not on and it lets your specatular team down.

This didn't spoil our trip - I'd go back to Riad Diana any day of the week. Marrakech is a very special city to us now and so is the Riad Diana. We will definitely go back. And as i say - If you don't like this Riad, it's not the riads fault - It's yours!!

Room Tip: The terrace room is the most private - Terrace available for your use at night too.
2  Thank Joshmalosh
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Transfer from the airport organised by the Riad went smoothly. We then entered a small Moraccan palace. The Riad was beautiful and very peaceful. The whole Riad and are room was impeccably clean. The staff made it for us, they could not do enough for you and were incredibly kind. You do feel very welcome there. We were offered mint tea as soon as we arrived which i strongly recommend. Very refreshing. The location of the Riad was perfect, we were a 5 minute walk from the main square and the walk was lined with Souks, shopping heaven!!!! I would definitely recommend this Riad and Marrakech if you want a few days away in the sun with stunning food, endless shopping and sight seeing. I also recommend the Hamman and massage that the Riad offer, worth every penny.

Room Tip: Eating areas are on the ground floor and the roof terrace so i would aim to get a room on the 1st fl...
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Stayed for four days in May 2012, excellent location -all the staff very friendly and helpful,dinner and breakfast always very good. They arranged days out for us in private cars with driver and/or guide to the coast and the Atlas Mountains.Nothing was to much trouble.
Highly recommended,a small proffessional team run this Riad

Room Tip: Wiahad room on the ground floor,large and very comfortable
1  Thank wood57
Reviewed 13 May 2012

We stayed in Marrakech for 4 nights and we loved this hotel...Excellently located, right in the middle of the action, and in the same time it's so quiet when you pass the hotel doors! The staff is very very friendly and allways there to help you with what you need! Breakfast and dinner were allways very good also!

I highly recommend staying in this hotel when you come to Marrakech!

Room Tip: Any room is good..the hotel has few rooms! :p
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2012

My wife, daughter and self thoroughly enjoyed the tranquility of this samll riad in the centre of Old Marrakesh.

Close to the Jemma el Fna - where everything happens (!) it was so conveniently situated for all the attractions like souks and restaurants. The staff were extremely friendly and helped us with all our needs and queries.

The food was good - particularly the breakfasts. Excellent evening meals could be pre-ordered according to personal choice. Our rooms were large and comfortable, and always clean. The roof room was beautiful and enabled us to sit out in the sunshine

Room Tip: If you don't mind climbing the steps the top room (on the roof) is very nice, and is ideal for a...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 April 2012

My mum and I had an excellent experience in Riad Diana. All the employees were professional and very friendly. They always helped us with our problems or doubts and also gave us nice suggestions. They also offered us the Haman and massage experience. Worth it! The decoration in the whole hotel and the rooms makes you feel in a traditional Marrakech luxurious home. Huge and comfortable bed. Breakfast always ready at any time we needed and delicious.
Highly recommended!