“Fabulous Riad and staff”
Review of Riad Diana

Riad Diana
Ranked #69 of 501 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 5 August 2012

We normally holiday in Morocco but up in the north but decided this time to travel via Marrakech we brought our 17 year old granddaughter and her 2 friends away with us we stayed a total of 3 nights at the Riad and totally fell in love with it, the staff are very friendly and cannot do enough to help, Ahmed and Boujemaa could speak good English and certainly will go the extra mile for you the location of the Riad is situated so that you are near to the main square but far enough away for it to be nice and quiet and tranquil. I would definitely recommend this Riad to my friends and family if they are travelling to Marrakech.

Anne Maire

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 5 August 2012

The staff/manager of this Riad were very keen to please ( baring in mind it was Ramadam). On arrival we were diappointed with our room which was a triple superior and felt it didnt live up to he pictures on this site. However, the riad was fine for the 5 nite stay we had and the location to the square is excellent. The air conditioned room was a welcome releif after walking around in the 46 degree heat of the day. Breakfast basic but fine also. The rooftop terrace is lovely and i would highly recomend a Hamman at the hotel which was fab.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Booked two weeks in June at the Riad. Arrived and met the Boujemaa who was very welcoming and showed us our room which was on first floor.

Very clean, lovely bed and lots of seating areas. Fresh towels daily and very quiet.

Air conditioning was a problem, kept failing - could do with an upgrade or good service.

Riad brochure and website has great English descriptions of the Riad and the area but sadly the staff do not speak a lot of English, and I don't speak French. I'd read the reviews on here when the property was advertised on British Airways and was confident the staff would be quite fluent in English. I have no accent and am not difficult to understand, but one morning I asked for a boiled egg and it was impossible to get the message across. Got there eventually.

Not a lot of outside seating/sun loungers when the Riad is full.

Courtyard area is very pretty and well kept, although the plunge pool is in an odd place by the entrance and dining area, and if there's someone having hamman treatments there's nowhere to change. Very clean water and perfect after the hot sun.

Breakfast is unimaginative, but typically Moroccan with sweet pancakes and cakes. Not much fruit on offer and yes, I was there when the US traveller was told there were no more yogurts to choose from, although the waiter did offer to go buy them.

We wanted to book the cookery day, it did sound quite wonderful but felt that the language barrier would be a problem and wanted to get the most from it as it wasn't going to be cheap.

When you consider this RIAD is central to the Medina you would expect noise, but it is actually very quiet and undisturbed which was a bonus.

I can't give this RIAD any more than average, because that's exactly what it was. It's ideal for a few days in central Marrakech but not for a extended stay, we left after 5 days even though we'd paid in full for the fortnight and all the staff were concerned about was whether I'd had any tea or coffee during my stay that they could charge extra for.

Go to Carrefour as we did and buy a kettle and supplies if you are on an extended stay.

Room Tip: First floor rooms are pleasant and spacious.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NigeNidge
Reviewed 29 July 2012

We travelled as a couple and from the moment we arrived we were instantly made to feel at home. We were greeted by Ahmed who as people have mentioned before cannot do enough for you during your stay, from preparing breakfast each morning to advice on excursions and day trips, he was magnificent. Ahmed and Boujemaa both spoke fantastic english so communication was not a problem at all and I cannot understand previous trip advisor comments claiming they did not. Overall these two members of staff were exceptional and made the riad feel like home during our 7-night stay.

As said in previous review the bedrooms were very clean, sheets and towels changed on a daily basis and the decor of the riad was exceptional. We opted for the meal on arrival which was of great quality and what we wanted after a long flight. I would also recommend the airport transfer on arrival as although it is a little on the expensive side, I imagine bartering for a taxi and trying to locate the riad being nothing short of a nightmare especially since our flight arrived at 8pm and we just wanted to get to the riad as quickly and smoothly as possible: the transfer ensured this.

On the last day of our visit we also indulged in the riad's hammam and massage service, which I feel is a must for anyone staying here, the hammam is an experience within itself and one I will not forget and the massage was 1st class.

Genuinely sad to leave, we would recommend this riad to all.

1  Thank Costarelli
Reviewed 23 July 2012

From the moment we walked in the door Boujemaa told us 'this riad is your home', and we were sure made to feel that way. The rooms were adorable, clean and cool, and the pool and rooftop lounge area were a great way to spend a lazy afternoon. The staff were incredibly helpful - from making restaurant reservations to even giving me some of their own personal hair shampoo because mine had run-out. To top everything off - the lunch was amazing! My husband and I had dinner at a 5 star restaurant the night before we had lunch at Riad Diana, and it didn't compare - dining at the riad is a must!

The experience was 10 out of 10 for us.

Reviewed 14 July 2012

Let me begin by saying that the review that precedes my own is very harsh and, I feel, unfound - this is not a 3-star Riad; the vast proportion of well-thought out reviews here are much more representative.

We stayed in the Riad for 4 nights in July and it is safe to say that it was the best part of our Marrakech experience. The location is the main selling point, being only 5 minutes from the main square and about the same distance from other attractions such as Dar Di Said and Bahia Palace (I would recommend cutting round the back of the Riad and using this road when going either way as we found the sellers to be slightly friendly and it also has a wider selection of restaurants).

The second major plus are the staff who are extremely willing to please and very friendly – Boujamaa and Ahmed speak very good English (I was offended for them when I read anyone suggesting otherwise). Sabria and the rest of the team always made us feel very welcome – they all cannot do enough for you and offer a 5-star service. From the welcoming mint tea and explanation at the beginning of our stay until allowing us to relax in the Riad the entire final day after check-out, we were very well looked after.

You can see from the pictures that the Riad is nicely designed and I will reiterate what everyone else has said about the feeling of calm that the place exudes, in contrast to the rest of the Medina. The rooftop terrace is especially lovely, and was grossly underused by other guests when we were there - it felt like a private accommodation at times.

We stayed in Khamsa, which is the smallest room on the roof but it suited us very well as we had easy access to the terrace seating to relax. Bed was very comfortable, it has a good shower and the air con was superb throughout our stay. Our room was cleaned, with sheets and towels changed, each day.

We took breakfast on the roof because it is such a lovely setting to wake up to. It is carb heavy, but this is a traditional breakfast that will be found in most Riads - the fact that it changed each day kept it interesting.

I would also recommend sampling Sabria's cooking, we did this on our first night and it was the best food we had all holiday - the Riad also provides alcohol.

The other services provided by the Riad are all of a very high standard – we experienced the cooking class, mountain day-trip and hammam and massage:

The cooking class comes highly recommended, if only to experience a visit to the real markets of Marrakech to get your ingredients (the chicken is particularly interesting...). Sabria knows her food and was also kind enough to dictate many of her own recipes for us to write down and take home to try ourselves.

Our trip to the mountains was a welcome relief from the hustle and bustle of the Medina - there are two options, group or private driver - we initially opted for the former, but then realised that the price difference was very small and appreciated the personal service we received. Our driver spoke excellent English (as well as 5 other languages) and was very proud of his country - he entertained us (with a quiz and riddles!) and taught us a great deal about Morocco - I think he was a lucky find, but he works for the company the Riad use. He stopped off at local spots along the way to show us bridges and places of interest, and offered to stop whenever we wanted to take photos. We also climbed the mountain to see the waterfalls (this meant hiring a separate guide for 150dh/about £10 to see three waterfalls, which was a 40 min walk each way).

The hammam and massage on our last day was an interesting experience - the massage was one of the best I've had - the hammam is more subjective...

Additionally, we took the airport transfer, which was well-organised - this is also something I would recommend.

I booked the Riad on the strength of the trip advisor reviews and I hope that others do the same - I have tried to be thorough with my review as I was constantly checking this page in the run up to my holiday for tips etc. It really is a great place to stay and I can't recommend it enough.

3  Thank robdrane
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Riad is beautifully presented and clean as others have said. If you want to experience Marrakech it is slap bang in the middle of The Medina, but you would hardly notice this once inside the Riad, it's very quiet, a positive retreat.

Our French is poor, and we chose this Riad because it was offered via British Airways, and the website was presented well in English, but upon arrival we found that there was very little English spoken at all.

Personally I'm not a fan of sweet pancake and slabs of cake for breakfast and merely describing a boiled egg proved difficult...to the point where another guest exclaimed she felt like getting up and putting the egg in a pan for them.

Another guest asked for a different flavour yogurt and was told they had no other yogurts available which seems very poor for a hotel offering breakfast, indeed fruit was limited too.

I did get my eggs though and was grateful for them.

Pluses:
- location in the Medina
- quiet
- staff polite
- clean
- spacious room with living area (on first floor)
- pleasant roof terrace
- great beds!!!

Negatives:
- for the price a very limited choice for breakfast
- no tea or coffee making facility, we has to buy a kettle from Carrefour!
- air conditioning seriously naff, which is poor when temps are high.
- Only 3 sun loungers which means when Riad is at capacity you feel guilty for hogging them for more than an hour.
- plunge pool, whilst decorative, is right by front door and in breakfast room...?
- lack of English speaking staff meant we didn't book their cookery course which sounded, from the English brochure they provided, really interesting.

All in all comfy for a couple if days...but not truly amazing, we left early feeling disappointed.

Room Tip: Try to book a room on first floor otherwise you are stuck in tiny 'shack' on roof or room in...
3  Thank Quinonostante