“Can't recommend Riad Menzah highly enough.”
Review of Riad Menzeh

Riad Menzeh
Ranked #126 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 18 June 2013 via mobile

I'm just back from a week-long conference in Marrakech where two colleagues and I stayed at the Riad Menzah. We chose it as it had been recommended by a friend and we are so glad we did. While our fellow delegates were moaning about the dire service and inflated prices of the conference hotels in the Nouvelle Ville, Bernard, Jamal and the team were taking fantastic care of us.

The riad is down a quiet little lane, just outside the tourist area, so it is very peaceful and you get to see a slice of the real Marrakech. Don't be put off by the location being outside the tourist area. As a lone woman traveller, there were a few times when I walked to and from the riad by myself and I never felt the least bit concerned (not something I can say about many places I've travelled). The only thing that happens as you walk out of the tourist areas is the people assume you are lost and will try to give you directions back to the main square.

Inside, the riad is stylish and spotlessly clean with a cool, shady central courtyard where you eat breakfast and can also arrange to have dinner. I will warn you that Fathia's breakfasts may do some damage to your waistline. Her Moroccan pancakes are so delicious I couldn't stop eating them and ate way too many. You have also got to try her couscous for dinner, it is the best you will ever eat.

The riad builders knew a thing or two about hot climate architecture and rooms are cool and shady. I never needed to use the air conditioning even when it was 38 degrees outside (my hotel-based colleagues had to use it all the time). This was great as aircon makes me feel rotten and really irritates my eyes.

The highlight of the riad is Bernard and Jamal. Bernard is French and has lived in Marrakech for 9 years and Jamal is a local. The service, advice and insight they give you are priceless. Nothing is too much trouble and their recommendations and tips were always spot on. They organised taxis, trips and tickets for us that meant we avoided being herded around with the tour parties and had a much better time. On the first day when me and my colleague managed to get ourselves hopelessly lost (our fault as we didn't realise there are two Mohammad V schools in the Medina) we called Bernard and he and Jamal staged a Medina rescue. Fifteen minutes after our SOS call Jamal came riding through the crowds like a knight in shining armour on a two-stroke steed, got us in a taxi back to the riad and then managed to get back before us to meet the taxi at the other end!

I absolutely loved staying at the Riad Menzah and the team really made my trip. If you are going to Marrakech I can't recommend this place highly enough and, having compared notes with the dozens of others delegates at the conference, I don't think there is anywhere better.

• Stayed: June 2013

Reviewed 17 June 2013

We stayed for a week in the Riad Menzeh on the recommendation of a friend and we were not disappointed. The welcome and hospitality from Bernard, Jamal and the two ladies who looked after us, exceeded our expectations. We were truly encouraged to treat the Riad as home, and nothing was too much trouble. The rooms were comfortable and the whole atmosphere is calm and relaxed. A big thanks to all.
As has been noted by others, the first experience of Marrakech can be quite overwhelming but our hosts did everything to ease us in gently and within a few days local children were smiling and shouting "Hello Menzeh!" to us as we made our way down the narrow streets to the lovely carved front door. Spend some time reading (or just sitting) in the courtyard or on the roof terrace and all the bustle of the streets seems miles away.
On two evenings we were treated to the most wonderful home-made Moroccan food. You can't leave without trying the Riad's couscous and tagine. All-in-all a wonderful experience and one to be highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 May 2013

We were recommended Riad Menzeh by my daughter who visited in Feb 2011 and we were not disappointed! Bernard and Jamal made us feel extremely welcome from the start and the mint tea was delicious! The rooms we stayed in, as we came back for one more night before flying home, were very comfortable and very well equipped even down to gorgeous smelling shower gels! The care attention that Bernard and Jamal gave to all the guests was top notch and the guided tour to the main square and the booking of taxis for transit and the day trip to the Atlas Mountains and even down to the table booking of the meal at Le Foundouk was way beyond what you come to expect from any stay in the best hotels. I cannot recommend this oasis in the madness of Marrakech too much. Go and enjoy the peace and everything that the hosts can give you, you will not be disappointed I can guarantee that!

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2013

This is our second visit to Riad Menzah and Bernard and his staff made us feel like it was home from home. Accommodation, food, hospitality were faultless - without doubt we will be back again.
Bernard helped us arrange a three night trip across the Atlas mountains into the Sahara which was magical, his advice and help was invaluable. Riad Menzeh made an excellent base from which to make our excursion.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Bernard-RiadMenzeh, Propriétaire at Riad Menzeh, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2013

Dear friends.

Thank you so much for your kindness for your visit for your humour for your good advices on TV series etc.
Special big hug to Tricia from all of us.

Reviewed 25 March 2013

My husband and I have just returned home after a wonderful stay at Riad Menzeh. This was our first visit to Marrakech and it was truly an assault on the senses! However from the point of the first e-mail Bernard and Jamal made everything so easy. From the pick-up at the airport, meeting the taxi to guide us to the riad from the drop-off point and a cheery "welcome home" as we arrived we knew we had found a gem! Jamal was a charming and kind host, with never-ending green tea (or beer if you prefer!), sight-seeing advice, and generally making you feel as though you are the most favourite guest who ever stayed at the riad.

The rooms were cosy and spotlessly clean. Breakfasts were delicious with a selection of bread, pancakes, jam and cake! We had dinner at the riad when we arrived and that was also delicious and plentiful. I recommend taking some time out to relax on the roof terrace while admiring the view of the mountains and listening to the city go about its business.

The location is great - just 10 minutes to the main square but you feel as though you are away from the tourist area a little. It's easy to find the way to the square, especially since Jamal showed us the way on the first day, pointing out landmarks.

I really can't say enough good things about the riad and the team. We felt very much at home and are considering a return to Marrakech just so we can spend more time at Riad Menzeh! With so many wonderful places in the world to see, it's rare indeed for me to return to a place!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brighton_chick
Reviewed 28 February 2013

I was just watching a cookery show about Morocco and it brought back memories of my stay at this riad. This was an oasis; it's not flashy, it's refined, clean and homely. The mint tea and breakfasts were lovely; to say I still remember what I had when I stayed here 2 and a half years ago says something! (ignore the date the website asked me to select). The hosts were really accommodating. I was traveling on my own at the time, first time in Morocco, and I felt the hosts looked after me to just the right degree. They also arranged for me to be picked up from the airport by the most attractive and polite man. Clearly this place left an impression on me. Thank you Riad Menzeh. Leah K.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank chichibaobao
Reviewed 20 February 2013

This was a wonderful amazing experience. My husband surprised me with a trip to Marrakech and I had no idea what to expect about this city or place. Upon arrival, Bernard the host greeted us with a warm smile and hand shake. He welcomed us home. We walked down a small dirt alley and in a couple of turns we arrived at the door. I was wondering what is behind this door and to much of my amazement a beautiful oasis. The Cozy Inn was directed to welcome you as it was your home. We stayed in the suite with an excellent view of the courtyard. I felt like I was in the movie Romeo and Juliet. The bed was decorated with rose petals. Plus they provided fresh roses with candles lit. This was added bonus because they knew it was our 16th year anniversary. The bathroom was clean, spacious and romantic.

Bernard gladly showed us around the Market and while walking he greeted many of the locals. He educated us about the city and the people. We stayed 5 days and each day was full of adventure. Bernard made sure to full fill our request (stay busy) which he did (smile). We went Quad Riding, Camel ride with complimentary tea, a 4 hour hike in the mountain with lunch, Balloon ride w/ breakfast plus a tour of traditional Berber home, traditional Hamam shower and oil massage after our hike plus spectacular dinner (done at the Riad Menzeh which was very convenient and relaxing this was an added bonus not to have to leave after a long day). Shopping through market and then we finished off our trip with a Cooking Course.

Throughout our stay Bernard made us feel like family. We came as strangers and left as friends. Thanks, Bernard and your staff for a lovely unforgettable stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple