Riad Alwachma
US$104
US$444
US$411
US$333
All reviewsroof terraceorange juice and hot drinksfirst floorcomplimentary breakfasthammam and massagetransfer servicechanged every daylocation was perfecthelpful advicespent two nightsla maison arabedinner one nightdegree heatmain roadminutes walkingbusy marrakechthe hustle and bustle
Reviewed 27 September 2013

My partner and i stayed here for 3 nights this September and have nothing but praise for the riad and it's staff. Upon arrival we were made to feel most welcome and were offered tea on the terrace whilst local amenities and attractions were explained. The staff were always on hand and always happy to help in any way asked. The room was beautiful and constantly kept clean and tidy, opening up on to the picturesque central courtyard. Alternative dining arrangements were offered and all that we sampled were delicious. A moroccan massage service is also available on request which i tried and was very pleasant. I recommend this riad very much.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2013

If you are looking for a Riad that provides
- the most polite and attentive staff that we met since ages
- a familiar atmosphere
- central Location very close to the medina and the square Jemaa el Fna BUT
- rest and silence supported by
- a SPA area offering massages for Relaxing
- awesome value for the Money
- very good Food
- Relaxing Roof terrace
- awesome hospitality
we recommend to stay in Riad Alwachma. The only negative Point we can state is:
--> it was so hard to leave!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 September 2013

just returned from our trip to Marrakech. This riad was the perfect choice. After walking arround Marrakech for the whole day, returning to the Riad was necessary. The personnel was so nice, even spoke spanish. Always welcome to assist us in telling how to get to different places. Location, just 10 minutes walting to Jamma el Fna.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Leshap
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I am happy to join the ever growing band of glowing reviews for Riad Alwachma, given that my decision to stay there recently was based on the excellent Trip Advisor reviews. This is definitely a place where you get value for money. Breakfast is included in the price and, although simple, the bread, pastries and yoghurts were fresh with copious amounts of hot coffee (always a must in the morning!) On one occasion, I also ate an enjoyable lunch of kefta at the riad and, at nine euros, I did not feel that it was a rip-off, even though there are some very cheap and excellent eateries not far away. Staff are willing, but not intrusive, and service, always polite and with a smile, is simple but efficient. Riad Alwachma’s staff are definitely one of its assets.

The rooms were spacious and there was excellent lighting, especially compared to other riads that I have visited. In my experience, and being a frequent visitor to Morocco for the last thirty years I have stayed in a wide range of accommodation, the rooms in many riads can be long, narrow and dingy due to poor artificial lighting and rarely having windows overlooking the outside world. The two rooms that I stayed in at Riad Alwachma, one on the first floor and one on the ground floor next to reception, were no exception in terms of not having exterior facing windows, although both had windows which overlooked the riad’s inner courtyard which offered some natural light. Whilst the natural light was probably not sufficient for reading purposes, the room lights, particularly the bedside lights, were very effective. The rooms were well proportioned, clean and smelled fresh. The beds were very comfortable, with a decent quality of white bed linen, and housekeeping was of a high standard. Whilst I was not disappointed, and am mainly full of praise for this establishment, there was one negative aspect which needs mention.

The A/C in both rooms was not the most effective and had a pre-set base temperature of 16 degrees, with no facility to lower the room temperature any further. Despite the A/C being on the lowest setting, the rooms never felt particularly cool and did not seem to reflect the 16 degrees. I did highlight this issue at the time but was told that the A/C was functioning correctly. At the time of my stay, the city was pretty hot with temperatures in the mid to top thirties and I would have been slightly more comfortable had my room been cooler. Given that Marrakech can be sweltering during the summer months, with temperatures regularly hitting the mid forties, I would not risk staying at Riad Alwachma in the height of the summer.

In summary, and not withstanding the A/C issue, there’s little to add to the other excellent reviews, except to say that they are fully justified. A good experience is much more than staying at a high end resort, or a hotel with umpteen stars, and I would say that this is the place to stay if you want a central location and comfortable stay with sensible prices that don’t break the bank in the process.

Room Tip: Whilst staying in the downstairs room, and wanting an early night, I was slightly disturbed by some minor noise from the opening and closing of the heavy outside door as guests came and went. For this reason, I would advise anybody who is a light sleeper to consider taking a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Susan A
Reviewed 27 August 2013

On a recent group walking trip to the Atlas Mountains, my friend stayed at this Riad before and after we ventured up to the mountains. I visited her and i have to say this place was beautiful and amazing value for money. the staff gave us a great recommendation for dinner and were helpful in pointing her in the right direction for currency exchange, taxis etc which can be hard work in Marrakech without the right guidance.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo