“Very Relaxing, Staff Excellent”

Palm Plaza Marrakech Hotel & Spa
Ranked #215 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Excellent hotel and staff.
Just returned from a 2 night break booked through Easyjet. We were concerned re: some of the comments made. We had no problems. The hotel is very clean, the pool amaxing and the staff only to willing to help, vey proffesional and polite. We took advantage of the free shuttle service into town which was great and we also booked the hotel transfers to and from the airport, reasonably priced at under £10. You can probably get a taxi cheaper but having been to Marrakech before and been overcharged it is not worth the hassle. The area is undergoing development but once inside the hotel it is lovely and quiet and peaceful.There is a shopping mall just 5 mins walk which is excellent for people who do not like to barter or the constant hassle in the main square. Hope to return would reccommed

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
cyndie m, Guest Relations Manager at Palm Plaza Marrakech Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2012

Dear client,

I’d like to thank you for posting your comment on Tripadvisor. We are so happy to know how much you have appreciated the hotel service and stuff’s attention.

All your notes will be an added value to improve our services in order to satisfy all your expectations and let them come true during your next trip to Hotel Palm Plaza.

Best Regards from sunny Marrakech!

Reviewed 28 February 2012

Let me say that my husband and i believe this hotel to be excellent value for what we paid about £50 a night, the bedroom was brilliant, the bathroom facilities also excellent, the cleanliness of the room was extremely high, the pool area was lovely too.
The staff were polite and tried hard to smile and be pleasant but they are not fluent in English only French. The worst experience was the food, the breakfast was the best meal as there was an omlette station, fresh pastries (no change over 4 days though always the same) eggs, sausages and cereals, the coffee machine was excellent but although hot water was available there is no teabags of any kind! the shock to me though is that the staff are also eating out of the same display? they fetch drinks and pastries to take to the kitchen - this is unacceptable, not only waiters but the restaurant manager too! very unprofessional and not 5* activity and if there is a problem with the soup or coffee they sample it?!?! I have never seen this before
We used the lunch menu at the pool and it was adequate but not for a long stay - no variety apart from the whim of the chef to make it up as they go along I had Cesar salad three times and each was different and could not be called a Cesar salad as it was not the right ingredients.
For dinner we twice used the only restaurant open, they talk of 5 ? but only the regular restaurant where you eat breakfast is open and is set out the same for the evening dinner, it is was pretty dire, the first night we got by just finding bits to eat and only went the second night as we did not wish to travel to town, at £20 a head it is very overpriced, I could hardly find anything to eat from the starters as they are all vegetable based such as cauliflower with pickle or beetroot with cabbage or peas carrots and sweetcorn, they supplied marie sauce but there was no salmon or prawns or any kind of meat/fish other than slices of processed meat - really poor, the main dishes were bow pasta with a tomato sauce, buttered chicken, small potatoes, a carrot medley, a local dish with bones in and a type of beef dish comprising of a tomato sauce with silver skin picked onions in!! not shallots but jar onions, when this ran out they replaced the beef with breakfast sausages!! We complained to the manager that it was poor but he thought his selection was wonderful, I had to stop him and point out we have travelled internationally and it was not to any standard of 5* I knew - I did not want to offend him further but it may have been special by Morrocan standards but not by Western, it was unacceptable and we requested that we pay only for one meal, which we did, my husband was not bothered for dessert as they were the same as the night before, creme caramel (made with too much egg) and small pastries/cakes, no cream or ice cream.
The staff do not seeem to know to take plates away from tables, they leave them piled even when you move them to another table, one morning I actually cleared the table myself and they did not understand what I was doing, tables remained full of dirty crockery for up to 15 minutes I observed whilst the staff laughed and joked with each other, the staff get on too well and have too much to say to each other when they should be working, guests needs are pretty much ignored as they do not look around, they are not attentive enough or with details such as salt and pepper on each table or remove extra cutlery sets from the table when people sit down, they are clueless to this?!?
On the hotel reception were two really lovely guys, one with a great sense of humour which I liked, he really tried and I hope he goes far (as was common, most of them had no badges for me to fully praise him by name) the customer relations woman was never there and I was so shocked to see her on my last night after dinner at her desk but sadly I had no time to start a conversation that time of night.
To sum up if they could train their staff better and pay for proper chefs and proper quality ingredients it would be an amazing hotel, but then maybe it would not be the price I paid!! but if it is supposed to be £300 a night it would not be worth it at half the price, they must improve to get repeat custom as sadly we will not return.
One last note I had been in dialogue with Zineb at the hotel and alluded to it being a celebratory birthday and to try for a pool view room, when I got there, the reception staff had no idea and I was given a room on the road...not too bad but left me feeling pretty unspecial especially when I found out most them were given to French students visiting whilst on a Rally... wasn't a warm start to my stay and it would not have taken much to arrange to be make me feel really happy.

Room Tip: The pool rooms are nice but there is great road ones too and not much noise, nothing that disturbed...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jbean2567
Reviewed 21 February 2012

a wonderful hotel located just outside the main city centre, lots of space, huge pool and bathing area, lovely rooms, huge spa and fitness area.

the breakfasts every morning are filling, and the bar / lounge area is a great place to chill and pre dinner drinks.

the reception staff are exceptionally helpful, especially, Iman, Ilham, Zak, alongside the shuttle taxi driver Yousuf. all staff members take care of individual needs. they all smile, assist with out any objection. they really do bend over backwards to make it the best stay.

as the hotel is only 10 minutes from main town, there is an hourly shuttle from hotel to main square for free to take and pickup.

all hotel facilities including the spa were fantastic. the massages are really worth it, and within Palm Spa there are many relaxation areas, split between 3 floors.

i cannot praise this hotel enough, i strongly recommend it, and would most certainly go back

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank shreena_bathia

Dear Client,

We enjoy to read you had a great time at the Palm Plaza Hotel & Spa. We are so happy to know how much you have appreciated the hotel service and stuff’s attention.

We hope to see you again soon.

Best Regards.

Guest Relations

Reviewed 30 January 2012

I regret to inform you that my experience at the hotel was not pleasant at all. I had quite a few disappointing experiences, mainly due to the staff very unprofessional and unfriendly.
First of all the housekeeping had the bad habit to move all around the personal items in the room, having saw this for 2 days in the row, I decided to leave the “do not disturb” sign in order to not having my personal belongings touched and moved (ex. I bought some honey in a near supermarket and left on the desk, she decided to put into the fridge!!!).
I had a massage at the Spa, it supposed to last 30 minutes, but after 20 minutes I was already in the changing room……
One night I was dining in the restaurant and as none of the waiters were coming for the drinks, I went to order it to the restaurant manager was standing in the restaurant. He asked to change table as the one I was sitting was reserved for a group. On the table there was no reserved sign and before sitting we asked to a waiter if we could sit anywhere and he said yes. Above all, I was in the middle of the dinner, how can you ask a customer to move while they are dining. How rude!
The day before the departure I had to make a phone call to reconfirm my transfer, called the receptionist from the room she said I had to go to the reception to make the phone call, never happen before that you cannot use a phone from a room. Once at the desk, while she was dialling the number requested she interrupted to speak with one of her colleagues and answer few others phone calls.
The check out: the worst check out I have ever experienced in my whole life: I worked in a 3* and 5* hotels in London and I am currently a sales agent for luxury travel. I personally travel at least 4 times a year and I have never ever had such a nightmare of check out.
I booked through an agency, half board pre paid. Now, all people working in a reception in a hotel should know that half board includes breakfast and either lunch or dinner.
But at check out they tried to charge us for the breakfast because according the receptionist the breakfast was not included as it was not written in the voucher for half board given to them from the agency. They keep saying “wait 2 minutes”….. (none of them speak fluent English, another aspect inacceptable if you book a 5* hotel).
I asked to speak with a manager and a lady introducing her self as a guest relations was reading the voucher and she couldn’t find the specification of the breakfast. I had to explain her what Half Board means???!!!! Pretty piety for a staff working in a 5* Hotel. Very poor service, unprofessional and unfriendly. After the argument no a single apologies was presented, they just said “it’s ok”. Was this due to a lack of English, a lack of polite manner or a lack of customer service ? Well, it is not what you expect from booking in a 5* Hotel.
For sure to none of my family, friends and clients I will recommend this hotel, such a shame! What a bad advertising for your property! To improve I really recommend you to train your staff properly about the job they are doing and a bit of knowledge of English would not be a bad idea.
I have read many bad reviews about the staff and unfortunately I had to agree that due to this you are risking to loose a lots of business due to the bad service and lack of customer serviced offered by reception.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Dani864
cyndie m, Responsable commercial at Palm Plaza Marrakech Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2012

Dear Madam,

We sincerely regret that you haven’t enjoyed your stay at the Palm Plaza.

Unfortunately, the hotel was known at that time a strike beyond our control that gave a bad impression both at the reception service.

We want to give you more details when upon check out.

After verification, the invoice has been established since arriving on half board basis. A small snag left appear a mention 'Bed & Breakfast' in our system, which left a doubt the receptionist, why he kept checked your voucher.

We wish to clarify the misunderstanding took place at the dinner, not breakfast is always included him with the room.

We apologize for this misunderstanding.

We remain at your disposal to study how we can overcome these incidents.

Sincerely.

Cyndie Marchand

Reviewed 8 November 2011

The Hotel Palm Plaza was a great place to stay once inside but its position, on what appears to be building site, does not conjur up any atmosphere - it is situated just too far out of the city centre. However, as stated the hotel itself is very good - exceptionally clean and the facilities first rate. The room was very spacious and we were lucky to have one overlooking the gardens and pool. The food was good with a selection of restaurants on site. In fact everything was really good except its location!

Reviewed 20 October 2011

Hotel not 5 star to me only 1 of the 3 restaurants open terrible dinner on the sunday night which was our wedding anniversay
room ok a bit tired swimming pool very nice
snack bar very limited
hotel team fine would not reccomend to any one

Room Tip: go to a higher room would be lighter have 1 facing the pool not onto the road
1  Thank Anne C
Reviewed 13 October 2011

A lovely stay at this vast hotel in the ever expanding tourist district just outside of central Marrakech.

Our room was clean and perfectly comfortable; a pool view might have been preferable, but did not affect the enjoyment of our visit. Housekeeping was unable to fulfill our request for an ironing board, which was slightly baffling in a hotel with this many rooms.

Breakfast was adequate and plentiful, although our decision not to book half-board seemed a wise one, the hotel restaurants appearing neither busy nor appetising. The swimming pool and poolside gardens were both stunning, with a pool bar serving tasty food with enough variety for a week of lunches.

Overall customer service from the staff at the hotel does leave a little to be desired, and I think would have been a lot worse if I had been unable to communicate in French. Requests are met with vacant expressions, or rather not met with dismissive shrugs.

The building work directly opposite has been completed, with more going on in the immediate locale and demonstrates how this side of town is growing at an alarming rate. Once the new hotels and complexes begin to open, Palm Plaza will further struggle to live up to it's 5* rating and risks losing much of it's business if it doesn't improve on it's service, although it could position itself as a cheaper alternative if it's rating more accurately reflects it's facilities.

4  Thank Nick J