“As expected - given previous stellar reviews” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Riad Slawi

Riad Slawi
Ranked #88 of 508 Hotels in Marrakech
“As expected - given previous stellar reviews”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

Riad Slawi was the perfect "homebase" for our time in Marrakesh. We found the location in the north of the medina to be ideal. We were within a few minutes walk of the market but we could retreat out to the calm of the residential neighborhoods in the heat of the day and in the evening. It was not terribly difficult to find our way there, even from the heart of the souks, as there are red signs throughout pointing the way to the main road that runs to the mosque of Ben Sidi Slimane nearby the riad.

The riad itself is lovely, clean, quiet, and well-run. Our room was large and provided calm. We were warmly greeted by Adam and staff. We enjoyed our stay so much that we decided to stop back in Marrakesh on our way back north, hoping to find a free room at Riad Slawi. When we called the day before, Adam was booked but generously arranged for a very nice room for us in a nearby riad at the same price as and escorted us there personally. We would definitely return to Riad Slawi if again in Marrakesh.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank synchshift56

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Korean first
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

First of all, I travel, quite a bit, I have to say Adam, is the best host / owner I have had the pleasure of meeting..

Upon arrival, you are met from the nearby mosque of Ben Sidi Slimane, the walk is easily laid out on a sheet from Adam thereafter. The mint tea and biscuits are a welcome sight once checking in. The rooms are beautifully decorated as is the Riad throughout. The air-con works perfectly and wifi is available ata ease throughout the building. The area itself is in less commercialised area of Marrakech so not much to do. The main square of Jemina is about a 10-20 minute walk through the souks.

Adam booked a trip for me to the Sahara too at a great price, however, he went way over the call of duty by giving me a loan of suitable attire for the desert. Whcih I hadn't prepared for as it wasn't in my intended itinerary. While in the desert, he was available round the clock, which was once again, way above the call.. I was also able to leave safely some stuff that I didn't want to bring to the desert.

The breakfasts were very nice, omelettes available in request. The lady preparing was friendly and made everything fresh. One day of desert trip, a full takeway breakfast was made for me as I had 7am departure which Adam woke up to see me off. Again, way beyond the call...!

My last night there, I was able to check out much later than any hotel would ever allow..!

Also organised return transfer from the front door of the Riad to the airport in a very comfortable people carrier.

Overall I would give Adam, the Riad and the stay 11/10...!!

I would return with my family anytime, I hope to do so one day soon!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

This was an excellent choice and we really enjoyed our stay here. Stayed in the Saba suite which was very clean, a good size, very ethnic, had a separate lounge and sleeping area, had good air conditioning and we were very pleased with it. Riad is in a good location which is a little hard to find down small alleys but car pick up from the airport at a reasonable cost arranged by Adam (the owner) was useful and the driver led us to the Riad. Adam will show you the way to the centre which is not at all far. Breakfast was different each morning and good. Ate at the Riad one night and the meal was good and I would suggest giving this a go for one night. Adam really adds to the place and seems like a really good guy who goes out of his way to help. This place gets a top rating from me and I would certainly stay again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Whatbob
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

Dar Slawi made my visit to Marrakech. They received the Traveller’s Choice Award for 2014 and deserve it for 2015! Eddy is incredibly thoughtful, hospitable, and clearly wants to make sure that the people who come to his house (riad), feel like they really are at home. And he succeeds. My first night in Marrakech did not go well outside the riad- a streak of bad luck as the days that followed were much better. I was shocked at how the people I ran into that night expected money for anything and -everything- including just giving directions. When I made it clear I didn’t want a ‘guide’ but had one anyway, I made it clearer I wasn’t going to pay. When I didn’t pay with money, just a sincere thank you, I was sworn at- in English and profusely- by a boy of about 14 and his friend. One time I decided to tip 10 dirham and was immediately asked for more. I shrugged and started to walk away- they boy took the 10 dirham. When I talked with Eddie about this, he told me the next time I should either look for or threaten to get the tourist police as they are really trying to crack down on fake guides and, if caught, they get into a lot of trouble. The good news is I slept well, had a great breakfast the next day, and the remainder of my trip was superb.

Eddie arranged for dinner at a nearby riad- Riad Amina- and it was great! He also arranged for drivers, got my train ticket to Casablanca for me, and on my last night, was happy to come and walk me back to the Riad from Place Jmaa Fna (yes, it is as crazy as they say) so I could avoid getting lost at night again in the medina. He would have happily done this anytime, I might add- not just because I had a bad first night.

He is charming, helpful, and a very sincere man who wants to help people truly enjoy Marrakech. I would definitely stay here again, and would definitely name is riad as a top Traveller’s Choice in Morocco!

Room Tip: It is much quieter than the crazy square but it is in a neighborhood and I was there after school le...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Te Awamutu
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

The Riad is beautiful, the rooms are lovely with comfortable beds, but this is all surpassed by the host Adam. He was always available and very helpful, I can not go on enough about how much easier he made our stay. I also highly recommend having dinner at the Riad, those ladies can certainly cook!

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Mo Adam is an excellent host, probably what you need the most when you arrive in a foreign country. Riad is tastefully decorated and we were awed by all intricate work on the doors and inside the rooms. Breakfast was basic but had traditional Moroccan sweets, freshly prepared in the morning. Adam who is the owner also lives there and always available. Only negative to the Riad is that it's a bit of a walk into jama El FEna and since we had a small child, it wasn't a great experience. That said the host was always helpful, providing hot milk in the night for my daughter or readying a full breakfast when we were to leave for our desert tour.

Room Tip: Go for the big room upstairs
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Without having stayed at another Riad in Marrakech, I would not hesitate to stay at Riad Slawi every single time, even though there may be more expensive or exclusive Riad's around. The sole reason is because of Adam, the owner. Adam is polite, helpful over and above his duty and just a genuine good bloke. Sounds like a man-crush. Probably is.

The Riad itself is authentic, well renovated, clean and comfortable which is what we (and probably most other travellers) want to experience. But, to emphasise, the main reason that this Riad will better your experience of Marrakech is due to Adam and his willingness to help out.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends