“An amazing Riad to enjoy the true Moroccan experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Riad Slawi

Riad Slawi
Ranked #90 of 494 Hotels in Marrakech
Atlanta, Georgia
“An amazing Riad to enjoy the true Moroccan experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2009

With amazing deals on flights from Madrid to Marrakech this June, my girlfriend and I booked a 3 day holiday to Morocco, without much knowledge of the area or language. I booked 3 nights with the Riad Slawi, based on other amazing reviews here and on booking.com, and was very pleased with my choice.

Even before our arrival, Adam (our host at the Riad Slawi) was more than happy to arrange for transport from the airport, and arrange for extra-special roses in the room for when my girlfriend and I arrived. Once we got there, we were met by a baggage helper who guided us through the alleys to the Riad. Greeted with fresh cookies and mint tea, we were in awe of the decor and design of the hotel, and shown to our room. The Riad is beautiful, very clean and quiet, and Adam and his father make for wonderful hosts. While it seems a bit difficult to find without an assistant at first, it is easy to figure out after walking to town once or twice, and is in actuality pretty close to the main areas Jemma el Fna, Kotoubia minaret, etc.

Normally, a walk like this would seem a bit daunting (especially since we don't speak French or Arabic), but with the Riad Slawi, there were not problems. Adam was more than happy to take us to town when we arrived, show us the ways around the souks, suggest good places for food, suggest prices for what we should expect to pay, and so on. Best of all, he met us at the taxi drop-off point in the evening to make sure we didn't get lost on the way back.

Tasty breakfast in the morning, wonderful service, and because of the Riad, we met another couple from Belgium staying there whom we went into Marrakech with the next day. We had a blast, and if it weren't for a cool place like this Riad (with its service and charm attracting other good-natured people), we wouldn't have met our new Flemish friends and had the fun we did in Morocco. An amazing time, and very thankful to Adam and is father at this Riad.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Korean first
Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2009

As Adam's father put it "this is not an hotel, this is a riad", conveying a personal responsability to welcome and help the guests. From the moment we arrived, we felt truly welcomed and Adam helped us in every way. Adam showed us the way to the central square a few times and, although it's easy to get lost in the medina, we went back and forth without much problems. Food wise, the breakfasts are good and you can ask for a meal to be prepared, if you're planning to have dinner, for instance. If you're looking for a riad in the medina, I believe this is a good choice.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
Firenze
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2009

I just returned from a wonderful trip to Marrakesh. The city is fascinating and exciting, but can also be a little overwhelming at first. Thanks to Adam and his father Mustapha, my friend and I felt like we had found a home away from home at the Riad Slawi where their help and personal interest made us feel safe and comfortable. Adam waited for us at the taxi stand upon our arrival and walked us through the quaint streets to the riad where we were greeted with delicious mint tea. Our room was charming, clean and quiet. Each morning we were served a delicious breakfast in the lovely courtyard before heading out and at our return in the evening, Adam and Mustapha were on hand to make sure everything had gone well. Although quite close to the market, there was something very special about staying in a neighborhood where after only a few days, we were greeted as neighbors. Staying at the Riad Slawi only added to making my stay in Marrakesh more memorable.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
Louisville KY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2009

My friend and I were on our first visit to Morocco (and to this part of the world) and were apprehensive as two females travelling alone. Adam replied quickly to my emails and reassured me that he would help us all along the way. And he did indeed. My first night there (arriving a day ahead of my friend) he sent a car to the airport to meet me, and met me where the car dropped me off (no cars in his neighborhood). He made me feel very welcome and helped with my cell phone emergency. The next morning he walked me to the main square and around the souks to help me learn my way around. He walked my friend and me back again that afternoon, and walked us to a local restaurant that night. He often waited for us out in the nearest square to be sure we made it back to the room ok (though once we learned our way it wasn't bad).

Our room with two single beds was plenty spacious and was made up every day. (However note that it you're the type of traveller who needs loads of towels and a clean one every day you might be better off at a hotel).

Breakfast was very nice, made at the time we requested the night before. Adam and his dad were immensely helpful with everything from arranging a driver to take us to Essouria to getting a guy with a car to take our overflowing luggage to the taxi on the last day.

I would definitely return, and highly recommend them to anyone planning a visit.

1 Thank travelingmcmahans
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2009

I can not say enough good things about Adam, his father, Mustapha, and Riad Slawi. The Riad is newly and 100 percent renovated. It is a short walk from the Djemma El Fna, but Adam takes you there for the first time to help you find your way. And, its location is cleaner and less chaotic than staying in the main square area, a nice place to retreat to after all day in the souks.

The breakfast is delcious and different every morning, moroccan pancakes or eggs in a tagine! And, the day I departed, I woke up too late for breakfast and they packed some bread with jam for my trip!

Adam is incredibly helpful in terms of planning trips out of Marrakech. I would highly recommend Ait Ben Haddou, which is a 10 or 12 hour day trip. Despite suffering a lack of English speaking drivers, the company he uses is fantastic! Our driver took us to things that were certainly a bit off the beaten path, and when the rest of the tourists were stopping at one place, he would drive us up the road for the better view or the cultural experience.

I would definitely recommend Riad Slawi to anyone visiting Marrakech, especially if its your first stop in Morocco. There is nothing better than getting off the train in Marrakech, after 22 hours of travel, and seeing Adam standing there with a sign that says Riad Slawi. It really is the kind of place you can gush about to your friends when you get home!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank kballtraveler
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2009

This long weekend get away was amaaaaazing. I have always been wary being a woman and traveling in Arab speaking countries and I am sorry I waited so long to go. Before arriving my friend and I had been emailing Adam (manager, his family owns the Riad) about recommendations for guides and excursions. I arrived a day earlier than she did and he had already made arrangements for the private guide I had requested to take me around the markets for the afternoon. He also made arrangements for us for a day trip the next day where we hired a taxi/driver for the day to take us to the 5 waterfalls in the mountains outside of town. We had another private guide for the afternoon take us hiking up the mountains to the top waterfall. It was incredible!!! As for the Riad, it is located in the middle of the old city, along a narrow pedestrian street...when you walk in the building it is very surprising in that the place is completely remodeled, the rooms are immaculate and super comfortable and all open up to the courtyard (where we were given a very filling breakfast every morning). Since there are only 4 rooms, you get first rate personal attention. Hands down one of the biggest surprises I have had yet in my travels...better service than a 5 star hotel. My recommendation is to book a trip and send Adam an email asking for some suggestions to get things started...you will not regret it!

2 Thank KellyD123
Saint Louis, MO and Lille, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2009

Riad Slawi, owned by the Zniber family, is the perfect place to stay in Marrakesh if you’re looking for not only a beautiful and comfortable riad at a great price, but also a true taste of the spirit of the city.
The Riad is located in Sidi Ben Slimane, a beautiful neighborhood full of character in the heart of the medina, only a 10 minute walk from the Place Jemaa el Fna, the infamous souks, and the bus station. It’s a quick 10-15 (and only 10 euro) taxi ride from the airport.
When you enter Riad Slawi, you’re welcomed by a beautiful open-air courtyard/living room with a tranquil fountain, several cozy nooks for relaxing after a long day of exploring, and a handful of gorgeous rooms (compliments of Mrs. Zniber’s impeccable taste and design expertise). And if the lavish accommodations aren’t enough, you’ll soon learn that you get to wake up every morning to a delicious Moroccan breakfast, made by the lovely Riad Slawi chef (who, if you’re lucky, will bring her beautiful daughter by to say hello during your stay)!
After you’re done being blown away by the beautiful interior and great service, you’ll come to realize the real reason why Riad Slawi is the best place to stay in all of Marrakesh (and for us the greatest place we’ve ever stayed), the management.
Adam Zniber is by far the best and most accommodating host you will find in all of the country. Not only can he speak fluent English, French, Arabic and Spanish after growing up between Canada and Morocco, but from the moment you arrive, Adam (and his wonderful father and business partner Mustafa, who comes down from Rabat to help out from time to time) does his best to make you feel at home, and goes above and beyond to ensure that all of your needs are met and that you have a wonderful trip. He will answer all of your questions to the best of his ability or help you find the answers elsewhere, help you arrange day excursions, and can give you great advice on places to grab a bite to eat or the best local shops to check out.
Adam surrounds himself with very kind and very professional tour guides and drivers (ask for Mr. Mohammad Abana, he’s the best! [--]) and all other associates so that you know you are always taken care of.
During your stay at Riad Slawi, you should take the time to get to know the neighborhood, Sidi Ben Slimane, as there are a number of artisan shops, restaurants, fruit stands, and laiteries that provide food, art, and experiences much more authentic and of a much higher quality than you’ll find in the souks, the Place Jemaa el Fna and other overly-touristy areas. Adam can give you some great suggestions but we recommend Chez Benali for a delicious and inexpensive lunch or dinner, Laiterie D’Ouzoud for great Moroccan pastries and refreshing drinks, the herbalist shop located in the neighborhood square, and an artisan shop selling lamps, ceramics and jewelry just up the street from the riad. Above all though, we recommend Tisserent Aziz, a fibers workshop and boutique run by a lovely family located conveniently right around the corner from Riad Slawi. There, you will find beautiful scarves, throws, bedspreads, pillow cases, and all sorts of other delicately and artfully hand-woven fabrics for more than a fair price! ([--]).
Also, for those who really want the authentic Marrakchi experience, ask Adam to set up an appointment for you at the traditional Moroccan Hammame, also right up the street, where you can have a relaxing steam bath, massage, and spa treatment. It will only cost about 7 euros, and be sure to bring a hammame scrub, black soap, and buckets!
Riad Slawi is a very special place; a treasure and an oasis in the heart of a bustling city filled with energy and life, and it is so very exceptional because of Mr. Adam Zniber. Our stay there was not only like a 5-star hotel at an unbelievably reasonable price, but because of Adam’s kindness and dedication to his guests and to the local community our stay in Marrakesh was a most magnificent experience that we will remember our entire lives. There’s no other place to stay in Marrakesh than can even begin to touch Riad Slawi!

1 Thank QueenOfCrunk