“Excellent Riad” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #465 of 1,176 Marrakech B&B and Inns
London
“Excellent Riad”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

Meet the King of Marrakech Zacharia!
He is a delight and helped us navigate around Marrakech, he has the best tips and great places to experience.

The Riad is a bit hard to find but you will get directed there and shown where you are on the map, the good thing is that it is in a quiet area of The Medina (a jem).
Fantastic breakfast on the terrace, very clean room and facilities. Thank you to the housekeeping girls who are very pleasant, always with a smile!

I even had a dip in the pool, a bit cold, I was the first to try it this season!

We stayed in a standard room at first and then we moved to The Oumkeltoum Suie, which has a fireplace, a spacious bathroom with a bath. Fantastic treat from my lovely girlfriend for my birthday!

Merci Zacharia and team for the great times and memories! See you soon.

TIPS for Marrakech Travellers:

- Know where you go and don't follow any false guide
- Best food on Place Jamaa el Fna:
Number 32 Chez Hassan
Number 1 Chez Aicha
- Try fresh orange juice there
- Best Spa: Hammam de la Rose
- Best Excursions: Moroccan Views 2 days 1 night desert campfire + Camel Ride

Room Tip: Book a suite for a little extra and enjoy pure luxury!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Melbourne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

Overall a VERY disappointing experience! I had booked the Haja suite as a treat to myself for NYE as a place to relax following a 2-week tour. On check-in I was given the key to their standard room and it wasn't until I questioned this and showed my confirmation did the guy acknowledge he had made an error. They should have advised ahead of time as I would have booked another riad. Instead they chose to overbook. Standard room is very small and dark. All rooms face courtyard and are very, very noisy! The riad is very difficult to find as it is down a very dark dingy alleyway. If it wasn't for the kids hanging around playing soccer, I have no doubt I would have been mugged by an unscrupulous guy who was screaming at me for money! I am an experienced traveller who lives in the Middle East and would NOT recommend this Riad. There are better places to stay in Marrakech!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Zharne
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

This riad was extremely good value for money. It's like a hidden oasis behind a large door. It's peaceful from the hussel and hussel from the markets and square, relaxing and spacious. The staff are friendly! Nothing negative to say at all! The location is great, but a little hard to find if you've never been before. Take up the riads offer of a pickup service, or hire one of the rickshaw guys In the market to take you and the bags!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

POSITIVES
Zach was a very obliging and helpful host, as were the rest of the staff. However contrary to information on the website, at many times of the day the Riad is unstaffed.
The location of the Riad is good. Yes, it is down a few narrow streets, and a transfer when you first arrive is a good idea. This is a medina- it is unrealistic to expect paved footpaths and neatness!
The continental breakfasts were more than adequate.
The rooftop terrace is a pleasant spot.

NEGATIVES
As observed by other guests, the cats which have the run of the Riad make it smelly and are off-putting to non cat lovers. I don't like to see a cat cleaning up the remains of someone's breakfast table after they've left. I was able to keep them out of our room as we were on the upper floor.

Many small things around the Riad and our room needed maintenance. After calling on repairs to a broken lamp, and for a replacement light bulb, these were fixed willingly. However the bathroom basin was extremely slow to drain, the shower bracket was only holding on by a single screw, the bath tap leaked, and I just got tired of calling on maintenance.

Our room, the suite, Oumklteme, was very dark, as I suspect all rooms are. Brown walls, dark metal light shades, dark curtains, limited windows. We had to leave the bathroom light on at night to avoid the trip hazards in the total blackness. The bathroom was all brown, and visibility minimal- a flattering light, if you like that sort of thing! The bathtub was very narrow, which made it awkward to stand in to shower. This room does have air conditioning. We didn't need it, but I assume it works.

The small courtyard acts as an amplifier for noise, and all windows open onto this courtyard. There were conversations clearly audible every night until midnight. However noise from outside the Riad was very effectively blocked, apart from the occasional call to prayer from the mosque, but this wasn't too loud.

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor rooms!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank impossible50
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2013

The Riad arranged airport transfer and were guided to the place which is just as well as we would never have found it. Once you get over the initial shock of the alleyways (full bins, cats, uneven surfaces, dark) you need to go down to reach the place, the place was charming and so quiet. We stayed in the biggest room but the second biggest would have done us fine. I would not liked to have stayed in the smaller rooms. We had air conditioning which worked well and enjoyed the plunge pool which was deeper than we expected. A great way to cool down! We made good use of the roof patio in the afternoons and most times had it to ourselves. We enjoyed the breakfasts on the roof patio but a bit of variety would have been welcome. There are a few good restaurants nearby but we particularly enjoyed LE JARDIN which was just round the corner. Evening meals were never offered or sought. We enjoyed this Riad but the entrance alleyways would prevent us from going back. The staff we very pleasant, especially the porter/jack of all trades, Hamid, and really helped us to enjoy our stay.

Room Tip: The cheapest room has no air conditioning. The most expensive room was great but liked the room one...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Orange, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2013

Riad Litbitibito was a great first stop for a first trip to Morocco. The staff is friendly and helpful. The riad is charming, clean, intimate and comfortable. For Marrakech, the price is on the expensive side because there are many nice riads and very low prices in the Medina. (No phones, no TVs, no AC (but did have fans)). For me, however, paying a little more was well worth it as this stay set the stage for rest of my Morocco adventure. I would most definitely stay here again.

LOCATION: The medina is a maze of alleys, passages, shops, doors and windows. When you make reservations with the riad via email, they ask when to expect you and how you intend to get to the riad. They email a map and ask you to call upon arrival. Upon landing in Marakkech, I told the driver the name of the riad. He called to find out where to drop us off because you cannot drive a car in the medina. The cab made arrangements with the riad and dropped us off at the medina entrance. Upon arrival, a porter and English-speaking guide led us to the riad. On the way, he pointed out landmarks to make navigating easier. Once oriented, Libitibito is in the heart of the medina. The main square (JEF) is a short walk away. Restaurants are everywhere. Many sites, such as the Ben Youssef school, museum, and palace and all easily walkable. Fortunately, the riad is amazingly quiet at night because it's just off the beaten path and is near a mosque. The location was like an oasis of calm in a sea of Marakkech madness! Be mindful that the proximity of the mosque will cause you to be woken by the calls to prayer - I found it exotic and went right back to sleep - but if you are a light sleeper, be prepared to be woken. (There are mosques everywhere in the medina and they all ring a call to prayer at the same time. There are riads, however, that are further from the mosques and may not wake you.)

ROOM: The room was great. It was charming and well-decorated. My room was on the first floor right by the pool. It is the only first floor room and is a "suite." The only drawback was a lack of privacy as anyone lounging by the pool or hanging out could see right in to the room. In fact, at one point we were taking a jet-lag recovery nap and a woman was pulling and banging on our door trying to get in. When I groggily got up and answered the door, she apologized as she thought the room was another common area. Depending on the time of year you travel, open windows are a must. Fortunately, there are window coverings that allow the window to be open but any view to be obscured. Any conversation you have may be heard so if you are big in to privacy, do NOT get the room on the first floor. Most of the rooms are on the second floor. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was fine. You have to keep a drain plug in the drain because bad smells will come up from below - my understanding is that this is common in the medina. I did not notice anything but did keep the drain plug in when not taking a shower.

PROPERTY: Overall, this is a intimate riad. There are only 6 or so rooms. The pool is more for looking than for using but the rooftop lounge is fantastic!!! There are several places to lounge around in the shade and comfort of Moroccan cushions. Be mindful that the medina is full of cats and Libitibito has several resident kitties who wander the property. I am allergic to cats so I had to keep my distance but they were often sauntering by or napping on a chair. There is a common lobby-type area that Zach uses to welcome you to the medina and to give you advice and maps. There are many Marakkech guide books in their library, I highly recommend you borrow one.

BREAKFAST: Every morning, the staff served the most amazing spread for breakfast continental style. I loved all the local breads and pastries but the best best best was the amazing mint tea and fresh-squeezed orange juice. The view was lovely and it was so fun to nibble on exotic goodies on the beautiful rooftop while planning your day's adventures. I highly recommend taking your guide book to breakfast and take your time to soak up the view and the ambiance.

LINENS: Towels were clean and soft. Bed linens were fine.

AMENITIES: There were not many room amenities but the basics were covered. There were two re-fillable glass bottles that contained shampoo and conditioner. Little bars of soap were provided for the sink. The toilet paper and tissues were well stocked. Also, the room came with a large bottled water with glasses. This is a must in the Marakkech heat. The room had a fan but no AC. No phone. No TV. Very few electrical plugs in the room but enough to get by. They use the european two-prong style plug.

STAFF: I had heard great things about the staff but Tania was on vacation when I was there. Zach was great though he seemed busy running the show. I did not require much of the staff and did not see many people around. At breakfast, a women brought the food and drink and then quietly disappeared. I typically found someone when I needed but did not see the staff when I didn't need them. I appreciated this as it almost felt like I had the riad to myself!

PRICE: I had a suite and enjoyed it. Though you can find many deals in the medina - carefully scrutinize the reviews. I met a couple who went the budget route at another riad who were very sorry about their choice. To me, the location, property, staff and ease of stay make the price well worth it. Don't get me wrong, Libitibito is inexpensive even at it's highest price compared to western standard prices. Overall, the price is a fantastic value for what you get.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Denise D
Wilts UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013

We booked to stay here at the beginning of March and had the organisers organise our taxi from the airport and that came with a porter to lead the way through the backstreets to the Riad. Quite a scary experience on your first visit to Marrakech as it led through narrow alleys, at times totally dark - you wondered where you were being led! On arrival, the Riad is a real gem of tranquillity. It is comfortably furnished and has a tv /games lounge. There are only five rooms so it won't be bussly.
The only downside was the absence of staff after the breakfast period, so we couldn't find anyone to talk to for information on Marrakech. They do provide a detailed introduction to the Riad;s location and provide a map with landmarks to help you navigate back to your bed.
Breakfast was a simple continental, and though others had reported that evening meals could be provided we were not able to glean any info on this.
As we were there at the end of the rainy period they had a plastic cover over the courtyard with a sluice tube running down to the plunge pool to drain the rainwater. The only problem with this is that if people smoke there is no escape for the fumes. As the staff methodically open all the windows to the rooms each day, our bedroom stank when we returned and it and lingered all night. Not a pleasant experience for non-smokers!

Room Tip: If it's your first visit, a Caleche ride is a good way to get your bearings in the medina - 200...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple