“Best view but average service”

Le Grand Balcon Cafe Glacier
Ranked #603 of 928 Restaurants in Marrakech
Cuisines: Moroccan
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Reviewed 25 December 2011

This place has the most amazing views over the square, up towards the Koutoubia mosque and south to the mountains. You have to buy a soft drnk at least to sit on the terrace and the service is patchy to say the least. Worth it though to sit and watch the energy down below, especially when they start constructing the foodstalls in the late afternoon like giant meccano sets!

Reviewed 29 November 2011

No matter what time of day you enter Djamaa El Fna, you will wonder what it is like to have a birds eye view. This happens to be one of the best locations to observe the hustle and bustle of the square below. The problem is, the welcome is lacklustre, the service is poor and the food and drink might never actually arrive!

Ordered three drinks, only two arrived. It took at least fifteen minutes for the third drink to arrive. The food order was placed shortly after the drinks order. Now I must admit I was caught up with the goings on below however waiting fifty minute and then being told there was a problem in the kitchen (despite seeing customers who arrived after receive meals) was not acceptable.

If all you want is the view? Fill ya boots but eat before hand!

Looking back I am glad to say the this experience does not reflect the service in all of the establishments we ate in.

Reviewed 18 November 2011

There are several other places in the square you can visit that give you a fantastic view - go to them instead of this one. Any neighboring restaurant is better than Le Grand Balcon Cafe Glacier. We went there because they have ice cream, but the food was really bad. And a man sat at the bathrooms trying to charge you to use them. The bathrooms were dirty and didn't have toilet paper. At the end of the meal they added on a large "service fee", which made our total more than 500 dirheims. Not worth it!!

1  Thank Beth453
Reviewed 11 October 2011

What a wonderful view from the Cafe Glacier, you can definitely see every corner of Jamaa El Fna. We tried their pizza, it was delicious on a brightly made thin crust. The waiters could definitely use a little more warmth and a wider smile but otherwise, we had an overall pleasant experience.
The night view from the terrace is simply priceless

Reviewed 23 September 2011

My wife, son (10 month old) and I visited Le Grand Balcon in September 2011. It was our last day in Marrakech and we wanted to spend lunchtime at a place with a splendid view over Jemaa el Fna.
Unfortunately it became a very disappointing experience. We ordered a pizza and a tahin and fresh orange juice. After waiting for half an hour my pizza was brought: it had no taste and it was definitely the worst pizza in my life.
The so called 'fresh' orange juice came late as well and was definitely not fresh! It could have been, since freshly squeezed, cold orange juice is sold everywhere on Place Jemaa el Fna, but Le Grand Balcon chose to serve us from a pack.
If we asked what took them so long to serve the food and the drinks the waiters waved us off telling it was coming. After 45 minutes (my wife's tahin still wasn't served) we decided to pay for the pizza and the drinks and left.

Unless you really need to go to the toilet, I'd recommend you to skip the one at Le Grand Balcon; it's dirty, there's no toilet paper but you have to pay for your visit.

The view on Jemaa el Fna is good though and the waiters were friendly towards my son.

CafeGlacier, Owner at Le Grand Balcon Cafe Glacier, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2011

Hi Guan,
I'm sorry your experience at cafe glacier didn't meet your expectations. Also, We appreciate your feedback, it is very helpful going forward.
Our goal at Cafe glacier is to make your visit memorable.
Let me address some of your concerns, as for the timely service, I have spoken to our staff and asked them to go the extra mile, however keep in mind that we don't use frozen food , everything is cooked on the spot, the moroccan food is in general slow cooked. That said, I will see where we can improve.
As for the juice, I really don't get it, since day one we only serve freshly squeezed juice, would you be able to point out what was wrong with the juice ?
We are talking with the cleaning campany in charge of the restrooms, they will work better in the future.
Guan,
Please come back and give us another chance, we will make your experience lightyears better than before.
Have a wonderful day