“Wonderful stay with friendly and helpful staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Riad Zayane

Riad Zayane
Ranked #90 of 1,171 Marrakech B&B and Inns
“Wonderful stay with friendly and helpful staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

Please do not take any notice of any negative comments about Riad Zayane. We had a wonderful stay here. A warm welcome with mint tea on arrival. The place is clean and the staff are very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was tasty, varied and plentiful. Rooms were cleaned daily. The authentic day trip is a must. Whole day out in the Atlas Mountains with a mule ride and lunch in a Berber house. Airport transfer was smooth and reliable too. Wonderful stay here and I would recommend. Thank you!

• Stayed January 2014
Alexandre M, Gérant at Riad Zayane, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Thank you for your complete and wonderful review and for writing your experience at Riad Zayane.

When we read this type of comments we are glad because we have achieved the goal we had set ourselves: all the team works hard essentially for the services including helping our guests, the quality of food for the breakfasts and the dinners, the cleanness of the rooms and the riad etc

The authentic day trip package we propose is our favorite and we try to convince as much guests as possible to experience it.

All the team wish you all the best for this New Year 2014.

Sincerely.

Alexandre, Riad Zayane.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

I stayed at the Riad with my daughter in October. We liked the Riad very much, it is calm and quiet and a lovely haven after a day out and about in the busy streets of the Medina.
The Riad itself is located in a little side street at the very edge of the Medina and can be a little intimidating as you have to walk down a busy shopping street to get to it and you get starred at.
But back to the Riad, really lovely, decorated with traditional furniture each room has it's own character.
All kept beautifully clean - they have a massive roof that cover the courtyard and that gets rolled back each day we have little birds coming in - was lovely
The staff at the Riad are lovely, they are helpful and there is always someone around who can answer any questions you may have and make arrangements for excursions, taxis etc.
Only one word of warning.. when you book the Riad takes a deposit, when you arrive you are presented with the accommodation bill, I found this a little strange but was fine about it.
Any other incidentals are charged on a separate bill and you are expected to pay cash for this. I had not realised and had wanted to pay for my additional charges with my credit card at the end of the stay as I had spent my cash at the Souks, I was told that in the room information it had specified that they expected to be paid in cash, but I couldn't see why they were so insistent, unless it is a tax dodge. But I had to no cash so they had to accept payment with a card and I had to pay an admin charge. This last bit of hassle marred the stay a little for me. I think in this day and age of electronic and plastic credit they should be more accommodating- So be warned if you stay here make sure you keep some of your cash till the end.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Alexandre M, Gérant at Riad Zayane, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
All the staff is delighted to have met your expectations.

It was a real pleasure to receive you. We tried to share our Moroccan experience and we received you and your daughter like we like to be received in a guesthouse: the hospitality, some advices, a little assistance during our stay.

All team works hard daily to maintain a high level of services, to clean and decorate the riad and to cook and serve the meals.

As we are a little guesthouse, we do charge deposit (as mentioned on Booking.com) in order to secure the booking and to avoid no-show.

At the check-in, we give the accommodation bill to our guests so they won’t have to worry about paying the accommodation at the end of their stay. As the bill for the room only concerns us, we accept credit cards.

As mentioned in the room information all the extras (diners, excursions etc) have to be paid in cash at the check-out. The two reasons are because we have to pay the company organizing the transfers, excursions etc in cash, the second reason is the high level of commission (5%) we pay accepting credit card in Morocco which is much more higher than what it is in France or the UK.

Thanks a lot for the lovely review and we wish you the best for this New Year 2014.

Best regards.

Tinerhir, Morocco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

I live in Morocco and therefore I have quite some experience in riads in Marrakech. Riad Zayane is simply the worst experience I have ever had.

I booked at Venere.com and was guarantied that the informations of my creditcard was only for the reservation and that no money would be taken from my account. The day after, the property had taken the full amount from my account. How did they get my card's informations? I had planned to use the money on my bank account for something else and already had the payment for the riad in dirhams (cash). The owner said he would return the money to my account, but till now, they are not there.

First thing we met, when we entered the hotel was the bill and a cup of tea, even before we had seen the room. The (very kind staff) called the owner, who shouted at me in the phone that we had to pay or he would take the money from my account (again!) or we could just leave and he would take the money anyways. I have now closed my card and my account and have to wait for my Danish bank to send a new one to Morocco + that I have lost 75 €. Really a bad experience. I can't recommend my worst enemy to stay there.

I have stayed at other riads in Marrakech for ½ the price and with so much better service, more centrally placed, homemade breakfast and an overwhelmingly welcome (the bill presented when we leave). This riad didn't match any of it.

As I have my own B&B in Morocco, I know what service means to clients and I wonder what this was?!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Alexandre M, Gérant at Riad Zayane, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear Ellen,

All the staff does its best everyday to satisfy our guests and we receive many compliments on the service, the decoration, the accommodation, the diner, the breakfast etc

Concerning the deposit, we made a mistake by charging the full amount (75€) of your reservation (1 night) thinking it was a prepaid reservation. As soon as we noticed our mistake thanks to you, we cancelled the transaction the day of your booking (December 27th) and sent you an email to apologize and explaining that the problem was solved with a document showing the cancellation.

The day of your check-in (January 1st), you were obviously upset about the idea of paying by telling to a colleague that you had already paid the reservation. On the telephone, I asked you firmly but in a polite way to pay for the room.

We think the review you wrote doesn’t reflect the real passion the staff has for its job, the well-being of our guests, and the quality of our guesthouse.

We regret the situation and your reaction that seems excessive to us.

Sincerely.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

We stayed at this Riad this year after our stay at an airbnb flat last year. The feel to it so welcoming that I will never look back. The staff is observant, hard working yet pleasant, out of your way but whatever one wishes for (with common sense) will be dealt with with an ease. They are also very warm people so one feels like at home. I loved coming back from our days out and then share with them what it was like over some nice Moroccan tea or amazing red wine they have. The atmosphere is lovely also due to a small number of people and it is nice to meet different faces over the course of few days. Food is lovely, simple and it's just a nice place to stay. We made friends there and will always come back. Thank you for an amazing time.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

A lovely, neat little place, with welcoming and friendly staff, and a nicely decorated interior. The impression we got is that at Zayane, everybody loves their job, so the riad feels like a happy family. This also reflects in the way staff relate to the clients: they have a natural and spontaneous friendliness that one could not emulate if one doesn't feel it. At the same time, they are also discrete: while services were available, they would not be forced upon you.
The riad is nicely decorated and each room has its very own identity - we preferred room "Africa", on the first floor.
We were please to find that the room's safe fit our 13" Macbook Air.
For our December visit, heating was a little bit of an issue; our repeated experience is that ACs cannot heat rooms properly, and this time too, at times, we were a little cold. However this was a minor inconvenience compared to the excellent overall experience, and we recommend this riad wholeheartedly!

Room Tip: we preferred room "Africa", on the first floor
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

This Riad Zayane is beautiful and the staff who run it are wonderful.
It is a good way (20 mins walk) from the wonderful chaos of the Souks and Jemaa El Fna, but that's a good thing. You can close the door to it all, in a tranquil courtyard with good tea and coffe, excellent breakfast or evening meals if you order in advance. There is also a sun roof with sunbeds and sofas and sun shades.
The room we stayed in was very comfortable and very tastefully decorated. It’s nice and cool in the Riad too - I guess due to its construction. The other rooms looked good too, though were smaller.
The Riad is close to the City wall, so access to the new Marrakech is also easy - Especially the Majorelle Gardens that are truly beautiful. When you have had enough rest, you just step back out into the Medina (turn left or right) and all roads seem to lead to some more excitement. The area around the Riad is bustling too, but without the constant pressure to ‘shop, haggle’ etc. It is also near the Ben Youssef Medrassa – an Islamic college which is well worth seeing.
We arrange a trip to the Atlas mountains from the Ourika Valley and a Berber settlement (Tighdouine) via the staff, who speak French and English very well. The trip was really good. The driver spoke English and was used to the tourist demands! Most importantly, he drove very well, very safely.

Room Tip: All rooms are good, though there are some smaller ones - the Oasis is the largest and most likely be...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

A beautiful hotel. After the nustle of the souks, it really was like an oasis. Free of noise apart from the little birds who'd come into the courtyard that the rooms faced, we'd sit and drink mint tea and smoke shisha. The rooms themselves were amazing and it is nice when you only have a few guests in the hotel as it makes it quite social. The staff were very attentive and the trips they arrange incredible value for money. Simply one of the nicest places I have ever stayed. I prefer the charm and character and staff of somehwere like this to any corporate/westernised hotels. I have written a blog on our trip here. http://elizacook.wordpress.com/2013/09/14/a-moroccan-adventure/

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely. We stayed in the Berber room, but they are all beautifully decorated.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple