“Hidden Gem” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Riad Zayane

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Riad Zayane
Ranked #206 of 1,177 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Hidden Gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

Walking to the hotel we really didn't know what to expect,we approached this tiny door not knowing what was behind it,given what we had just seen,OMG.It was a step back first,then a WOW this is different,then to ' this is really traditional'.The staff were really helpful,very friendly and always happy.We had the africa room,clean,comfortable,with no mod cons.Great to be away from the norm stuff.This is Marrakech as it is,not your normal tourist hotel.It was a great traditional place with superb traditional food,a must in my opinion an amazing experience not to be missed.Always be aware of the people that will lead you astray,we got a guy from Denmark out of a bit of trouble,DON'T be afraid of saying 'NO'.Keep walking and ignore these people and they will leave you alone.Don't let them ruin your holiday experience, it's an amazing place.

Room Tip: Research your venue,if you want mod cons this is not for you.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

Stayed for 3 days and it was such a lovely place. The rooms are quaint with very nice bathrooms. There is a roof top deck with lounge chairs and seating to enjoy the sun. The staff is wonderful and so helpful. They assisted us with reservations to restaurants and excursions. The breakfast offered was traditional and good. We would come back from our daily activities and enjoy wine on the rooftop deck. I enjoyed staying here and would recommend it to any traveler to Marrakech.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed in this riad for 3 nights at the end of our Moroccan trip. We had stayed in 3 or 4 other riads so had an idea of what we could expect.

We had a great experience. The staff were very lovely. They let us use their phone to confirm transfers (ringing Morocco and France) and they spoke to the Moroccan company in Arabic to avoid any confusion as we only speak English and some French. They did not ask for any reimbursement for this.

Another member of staff offered to wash several pairs of socks that my husband had left out, feebly handwashed- we'd been been travelling for over a month at this point and it was so lovely to have them delivered back to us about 3 hours later, clean, dry and warm! Again, many places would demand a high fee for same-day cleaning but she did not charge us!

We undertook the cooking course advertised on the riad's website which was fabulous. A great chance to learn from their chef and it was a lot of fun. The dinners were delicious.

The we met the manager, a Frenchman, on day two and he took the time out to recommend to us some places to visit in Paris which was fantastic. He was very friendly.

Our room was cleaned each day, mint tea on arrival, all around the staff were courteous and friendly. The riad itself was quite spectacular and beautiful. Each room has a theme. The shower was great!

The riad is just inside the medina wall and virtually silent inside- you can't hear the busy medina at all! It was like a bubble of tranquility. Great for when you've had a busy day of walking around the souks which are closeby. It is also very close to ATMs, bureau de change and a very large supermarket.

We left at 7am on our last day and we spoke to the staff at around 5pm the afternoon before asking what time breakfast might start, and if there was a chance we could just organise for some bread or something to tide us over. They wouldn't have a bar of it and the full breakfast was away for us at 6.30am, coffee included, despite much protesting from ourselves that it was unnecessary! It was very kind of them.

The fire alarm in our room went off at around midnight one night and within about 2 minutes, one of the staff had arrived with a ladder to fix it for us.

Overall we had a great stay and we were particularly thankful for the staff- every member of staff we encountered went above and beyond in some way. Thankyou so much for having us stay!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

Please do not take any notice of any negative comments about Riad Zayane. We had a wonderful stay here. A warm welcome with mint tea on arrival. The place is clean and the staff are very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was tasty, varied and plentiful. Rooms were cleaned daily. The authentic day trip is a must. Whole day out in the Atlas Mountains with a mule ride and lunch in a Berber house. Airport transfer was smooth and reliable too. Wonderful stay here and I would recommend. Thank you!

• Stayed January 2014
Alexandre M, Gérant at Riad Zayane, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Thank you for your complete and wonderful review and for writing your experience at Riad Zayane.

When we read this type of comments we are glad because we have achieved the goal we had set ourselves: all the team works hard essentially for the services including helping our guests, the quality of food for the breakfasts and the dinners, the cleanness of the rooms and the riad etc

The authentic day trip package we propose is our favorite and we try to convince as much guests as possible to experience it.

All the team wish you all the best for this New Year 2014.

Sincerely.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

I stayed at the Riad with my daughter in October. We liked the Riad very much, it is calm and quiet and a lovely haven after a day out and about in the busy streets of the Medina.
The Riad itself is located in a little side street at the very edge of the Medina and can be a little intimidating as you have to walk down a busy shopping street to get to it and you get starred at.
But back to the Riad, really lovely, decorated with traditional furniture each room has it's own character.
All kept beautifully clean - they have a massive roof that cover the courtyard and that gets rolled back each day we have little birds coming in - was lovely
The staff at the Riad are lovely, they are helpful and there is always someone around who can answer any questions you may have and make arrangements for excursions, taxis etc.
Only one word of warning.. when you book the Riad takes a deposit, when you arrive you are presented with the accommodation bill, I found this a little strange but was fine about it.
Any other incidentals are charged on a separate bill and you are expected to pay cash for this. I had not realised and had wanted to pay for my additional charges with my credit card at the end of the stay as I had spent my cash at the Souks, I was told that in the room information it had specified that they expected to be paid in cash, but I couldn't see why they were so insistent, unless it is a tax dodge. But I had to no cash so they had to accept payment with a card and I had to pay an admin charge. This last bit of hassle marred the stay a little for me. I think in this day and age of electronic and plastic credit they should be more accommodating- So be warned if you stay here make sure you keep some of your cash till the end.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Alexandre M, Gérant at Riad Zayane, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
All the staff is delighted to have met your expectations.

It was a real pleasure to receive you. We tried to share our Moroccan experience and we received you and your daughter like we like to be received in a guesthouse: the hospitality, some advices, a little assistance during our stay.

All team works hard daily to maintain a high level of services, to clean and decorate the riad and to cook and serve the meals.

As we are a little guesthouse, we do charge deposit (as mentioned on Booking.com) in order to secure the booking and to avoid no-show.

At the check-in, we give the accommodation bill to our guests so they won’t have to worry about paying the accommodation at the end of their stay. As the bill for the room only concerns us, we accept credit cards.

As mentioned in the room information all the extras (diners, excursions etc) have to be paid in cash at the check-out. The two reasons are because we have to pay the company organizing the transfers, excursions etc in cash, the second reason is the high level of commission (5%) we pay accepting credit card in Morocco which is much more higher than what it is in France or the UK.

Thanks a lot for the lovely review and we wish you the best for this New Year 2014.

Best regards.

Tinerhir, Morocco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

I live in Morocco and therefore I have quite some experience in riads in Marrakech. Riad Zayane is simply the worst experience I have ever had.

I booked at Venere.com and was guarantied that the informations of my creditcard was only for the reservation and that no money would be taken from my account. The day after, the property had taken the full amount from my account. How did they get my card's informations? I had planned to use the money on my bank account for something else and already had the payment for the riad in dirhams (cash). The owner said he would return the money to my account, but till now, they are not there.

First thing we met, when we entered the hotel was the bill and a cup of tea, even before we had seen the room. The (very kind staff) called the owner, who shouted at me in the phone that we had to pay or he would take the money from my account (again!) or we could just leave and he would take the money anyways. I have now closed my card and my account and have to wait for my Danish bank to send a new one to Morocco + that I have lost 75 €. Really a bad experience. I can't recommend my worst enemy to stay there.

I have stayed at other riads in Marrakech for ½ the price and with so much better service, more centrally placed, homemade breakfast and an overwhelmingly welcome (the bill presented when we leave). This riad didn't match any of it.

As I have my own B&B in Morocco, I know what service means to clients and I wonder what this was?!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Alexandre M, Gérant at Riad Zayane, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear Ellen,

All the staff does its best everyday to satisfy our guests and we receive many compliments on the service, the decoration, the accommodation, the diner, the breakfast etc

Concerning the deposit, we made a mistake by charging the full amount (75€) of your reservation (1 night) thinking it was a prepaid reservation. As soon as we noticed our mistake thanks to you, we cancelled the transaction the day of your booking (December 27th) and sent you an email to apologize and explaining that the problem was solved with a document showing the cancellation.

The day of your check-in (January 1st), you were obviously upset about the idea of paying by telling to a colleague that you had already paid the reservation. On the telephone, I asked you firmly but in a polite way to pay for the room.

We think the review you wrote doesn’t reflect the real passion the staff has for its job, the well-being of our guests, and the quality of our guesthouse.

We regret the situation and your reaction that seems excessive to us.

Sincerely.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

We stayed at this Riad this year after our stay at an airbnb flat last year. The feel to it so welcoming that I will never look back. The staff is observant, hard working yet pleasant, out of your way but whatever one wishes for (with common sense) will be dealt with with an ease. They are also very warm people so one feels like at home. I loved coming back from our days out and then share with them what it was like over some nice Moroccan tea or amazing red wine they have. The atmosphere is lovely also due to a small number of people and it is nice to meet different faces over the course of few days. Food is lovely, simple and it's just a nice place to stay. We made friends there and will always come back. Thank you for an amazing time.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends