“Incredible. A must do. Best Tagine EVER”

Les Ateliers Lalla Fatima
Ranked #11 of 20 Food & Drink in Marrakech
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: CUISINE MARRAKECH Traditional Moroccan Cooking Class for independent travellers. An amazing experience at The Travellers' Lounge Marrakech
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Incredible. A must do. Best Tagine EVER”
Reviewed 19 August 2011

I had an exceptional time on this cooking tour which began in the Souk. We were introduced to a wonderful owner of a spice shop, then through the souk to buy all the necessary vegetables. Perhaps the best thing was that when you're with Lallah, you get the base price on everything. So for instance, we got 2 tagines for next to nothing, when without her they prices would skyrocket. Her house and staff were incredibly helpful. The goatcheese her helper makes is to die for. The price of 500 is very reasonable and worth it for the day's experience. When I attended it was just me and my girlfriend and it was just spectacular. We went to Les Bains afterwards for the spa.

Visited June 2011
2 Thank KRPirani

London
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“ANOTHER no show!”
Reviewed 17 July 2011

Although I have read the 'no show' reviews before I booked, I somehow found the idea of ingredients shopping in the souks appealing hence went ahead. The booking process seemed to be smooth and everything confirmed via email.

However, in hindsight I should have trusted the other fellow travelers' 'no show' reviews. Waited 15 mins and nobody turned up and noone called to explain. When I wanted to call them to enquire I realised there is no contact number on the emails they sent so there was no way for me to get in touch (yes, I did print out the confirmation email to bring with me so ensure I was in the right place at the right time).

DO NOT risk being let down and waste valuable time on your holiday waiting around for people who don't bother to show up.

I called another cooking school that day to book for the following day and had the most fantastic time with them.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank ApplepieLondon
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Best day in marrakesh”
Reviewed 7 July 2011

We had a fantastic day at the cooking course. Lalla is a lovely host. I would highly reccomend this experience to anyone.

1 Thank danielleceulemans
Cardiff, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Best day of our holiday!”
Reviewed 22 June 2011

The cookery course was the most enjoyable experience of our week in Morocco. Everybody involved in the course was friendly and wanted us to get the best out of the day, going out of their way to make sure we were happy. For example as there was only myself and my partner on the course, we had some extra time so were shown to the syngaogue which was unlocked especially for us to look around. I would have no hesitation in recommending Les Ateliers Lalla Fatima, particularly as the meal we were helped to make was the tastiest we ate whilst out there! It has definitely inspired me to book a cookery lesson in other places I visit in the future, not only to learn delicious recipes but to spend time with locals and gain an insight into the culture of that country.

Visited May 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Abandoned by our teacher”
Reviewed 20 June 2011

While reviews on TripAdvisor were mixed, we decided to proceed as we really liked the notion of a cooking class in an actual Berber village home. Fatima was 30 minutes late in meeting us (no apologies). The trip began at a spice shop, followed by a trip to the central market to purchase ingredients for the class. Both of these activities were very educational, however, things quickly escalated downhill.

After arriving at her home she put the chicken in the ovens and then disappeared for >45 minutes, leaving the four of us totally on our own. We didn't know where she was or when she was coming back. There was a local village woman who could not speak any English who was doing the cooking.

We were all very uncomfortable with being left in the teacher's' home alone to fend for ourselves, and without any English translation of the meal's preparation. I finally went looking for Fatima and found her with her feet up chatting on the phone with a friend. I asked her to if she could please return to the group to answer our questions...she did so in about 20 minutes, arriving at the table just as we sat down to eat.

It felt as if Fatima's heart is not in her work. The only time she looked at all interested is when she asked for our payment at the end Moreover, the meal was ok, but we had far better tagines during the remainder of our stay in Morocco. To add insult to injury, she promised to send us all the recipes by email...but, of course, never did.

The Berber people are wonderfully warm and gracious, but you would never know this from our day with Fatima.

Visited May 2011