“Great fun, learned a lot, not a dull moment”
Review of Cuisine Marrakech

Cuisine Marrakech
Ranked #12 of 26 Food & Drink in Marrakech
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Marrakech Cooking Class Traditional Moroccan Cooking Class for independent travellers. An amazing experience at The Travellers' Lounge Marrakech
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 17 May 2013 via mobile

The cooking course provides a great combination; a visit to the market where you pick your own chicken to be slaughtered in halal fashion. I'm very much for realising where the food on your plate comes from, so this was an educational part of the experience for me.

Her house, where you do the cooking, is great, her assistent (an older woman who speaks mainly Arabic) is very sweet and helpful. The resulting meal we made together was awesome.

Fatima comes over as a strong, independent woman and she has lots of travel stories to share. There was not a dull moment!

If I would have to suggest an impromevent, it would be to have a simple handout with the recipes. Because when I'm back home, I probably will have forgotten half of it.. ;)

Reviewed 10 May 2013

We loved our time with Lalla she made us feel welcome and went out of way to make sure we understood everything from the spices and made sure we were paying local prices and not being ripped off as you will find many guides will do for there own benefit.
She collected us from the pick up point from the square and we made our way to the local spice market which was an experience in itself. We use spices in everyday cooking but actually learning about what to look out for how each spice tastes and the actually quality of the spice was very interesting. She also teaches using the authentic method of cooking tagine over coals which added to the favour of the dish. We learnt so much from Lalla in just a day and this experience will remain with us forever and every time we cook a tagine and pastille with different salads beetroot and potato. The food is excellent, favours are perfect like nothing I've tasted before. Highly recommend this to everyone you won't be disappointed.

1  Thank Govin P
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Before writing this review I had a look at the other "Terrible" reviews. I suspect Fatima has taken the negative comments to heart as we had a fabulous afternoon with her. Yes she was late but only 20 minutes and I think allowances should be made for different standards of time-keeping, this is Africa not northern Europe.
Unlike some of the negative reports we were the only two on the course, I suspect there had been a cancelation but we were given 5 star attention and treatment. The most impressive aspect to the course was the insight into daily life of shopping and living in Marrakesh.
I can understand the negative reviews but we did not see one aspect that has been recorded. We loved the time with Fatima, she is a fiesty person making a success of a life as a woman in entrenched masculine Morocco and should be applauded for that alone. I would urge you to go on the course but if there's more than say 10 of you, back out at the beginning and go for another afternoon ........ but go for it nevertheless.

Reviewed 15 April 2013

We love to cook and we had planned to do a morrocan cookery course but cooking with Nezha was far better than we could even have expected.
She took us to shop for spices where she explained all the different ones used in Moroccan cuisine. We then went around the market to buy the fish and meat before she took us to her house in a Berber village outside the town where we prepared some tajines and sides. We visited the village oven to get fresh hot bread. It was a very peaceful and relaxed environment with pauses for mint tea and local delicacies. We ate the meal together and surprised us with Moroccan ice cream. Yum!

1  Thank Thomas D
Reviewed 5 April 2013

We booked this course through our Riad and were so glad we did. We had a fantastic day (10am-18:30) and made and tried so many dishes in Fatima's lovely garden in her Berber Village. Would highly recommend this course. Make sure you don't have dinner plans for the evening as you won't need any!