“Great experience”

Cuisine Marrakech
Ranked #10 of 21 Food & Drink in Marrakech
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: CUISINE MARRAKECH Traditional Moroccan Cooking Class for independent travellers. An amazing experience at The Travellers' Lounge Marrakech
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great experience”
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

We had a great day with Fatima! I would recomend this to everyone who visits Marrakech. Unforgetable experience, food simply delicious! We learned how to cook a whole meal full of taste and we will remember this day whenever we use our tagine! Merci Fatima!

Visited September 2013

London, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“A great day”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We had to postpone our original booking at the last minute due to getting food poisoning from a restaurant the night before, but Fatima was more than happy to accommodate us the following day, despite not having any other bookings for that day.

We had a lovely relaxing day with Fatima exploring the markets and then cooking in her beautiful courtyard garden surrounded by olive and orange trees.

We also spent a long time chatting with her about Morrocan life, language and culture which was fascinating and we learnt a huge amount.

I would recommend that you don't have a big breakfast before this day - even a gannet like me was stuffed by the end!

Visited September 2013
Singapore, Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“great food, great fun!”
Reviewed 20 June 2013

We were very lucky to have the wonderful Fatima all to ourselves for our little cooking adventure! Fatima is a wonderful cook and is really nice to talk to as she shared all her stories with us. The tour through the market was great and we learnt all about spices and other delicacies as we picked out our ingredients for the day. As a couple, I can strongly say that we are beginners in cooking so do not think that if you do not cook that you cannot do this! The best part was using the tagines to cook our kitchen! I shall not spoil the surprise. A MUST DO if you love food! and who doesn't? Thank you Fatima, we enjoyed our day with you thoroughly!

Visited June 2013
San Gwann, Malta
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great fun, great experience a MUST to do in Morocco”
Reviewed 8 June 2013

I had a lovely day thanks to Fatima. She picked us up punctually in front of Cafe France and took us to the market to purchase our stuff for the cooking. SHe explained to us the various spices and their use and involved us in selecting the vegetables, which is great to get the actual feel of a local. After collecting all the neccessary, we went to her house to start to cook. It was great fun and so relaxing cooking at her place, chatting with her in her lovely garden and finally getting to eat the abundant delicious food we prepared. It was so good value for money for just 500dirhams!!

To complete the day, she asked if I wanted to visit the local hamman with her as she was going there herself. I took the opportunity and glad I did it as it was a great experience!! and I am glad she was there as she took good care of me (considering it was the local hamman not the touristic and communication was essential!!).

Im so glad to have done this experience. it was much more than I expected. You should go believe me it was one of the best things I did in Morocco!!!

Visited May 2013
Nuneaton
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“One Of The Best Things I Did In Marrakech!”
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Before visiting Marrakech I was very much looking forward to taking a cookery class to learn all about how to cook Moroccan dishes and it was so much better than I had hoped for!

I booked this for my partner and I via our Riad and it cost us 500 dirhams each (approx £40). We were picked up by Fatima, our cooking teacher for the day, outside Cafe De France (Djemma El Fna) before collecting 2 others making a small group of 4.

We started by visiting the Jewish spice market where Fatima showed us all the different spices where we were able to try them and learn about which spices are used for which meals / meats etc and were also given the opportunity to purchase any we wanted but this wasn't a hard sel by any means! We bought some cumin (which we use alot of at home) costing only 10dirham (80p) for 100g. And we also bought some 'head of the shop' spice which is a mixture of all the spices. This was a little boring for my partner who doesn't have a very big attention span but interesting if you are into cooking. This shopping experience was a pleasant surprise and gave so much more to the class.

We then continued through the market where we were each given different types of vegetables to go an pick and weigh out ourselves before moving into the fresh meat area where we were taken to pick our live chicken to then watch it being slaughtered (halal style) and prepared for us to take home. This was a great insight into how local Moroccans buy their ingredients but it isn't for the faint hearted, go with an open mind - there are many chickens, pigeons, rabbits stored all together in cages purely bred for consumption. The conditions aren't great and I couldn't watch the chicken being killed but my partner had certainly perked up at this point!

We then got back in the car where Fatima drove us to her own house where her assistant 'big mama' and her kitten, E.T. were there to assist with the cooking. This was fantastic ! The 4 of us all had our own chopping boards etc and prepared along with Fatima following her instructions and prepared our own individual dishes before taking them outside to cook over the tagine. This was great fun sitting on the little stools trying to get the fires going with the pumps! Fatima was great, sharing stories about her own family, cooking career etc. It was a wonderful relaxing day.

We were given these pancake type appetizers when we first arrived and then obviously got to eat what we had cooked at the end of the day. The food was really good and Fatima gave me her email address to get a copy of the recipe that we had made that day.

The class ran from between 10am(ish) - 5pm and we were dropped back at La Place again. I'd definitely recommend taking this class as it was one of the best things I did on my visit to Marrakech and Fatima was really helpful and engaging with our group.

The only points I would suggest for improvement are, following previous reviews about time keeping & attention, I would admit we were also a little late being picked up from Cafe De France, but I am aware that time keeping is not the same as in the UK! Also, there were points throughout the day that we were left on our own and Fatima would be on her phone or disappeared, but this was only an observation and certainly didn't bother us. We had a great time chatting and relaxing in the sun or carrying on with the cooking with Big Mama before she came back and it certainly didn't hinder our experience. I realise for others this may be an issue and would just be a small thing to improve on.

Overall, thoroughly enjoyed this class !!!! :D