“Do not use left luggage services”

Hotel Le Grand Imilchil
Ranked #448 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Do not use left luggage services”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

DON'T use the left luggage service as you will be blackmailed before you get your bags back.

At approx 1115 hrs to 1155 hrs on Thursday 8th may 2014 the staff at this hotel committed this crime against me.

For approximately 45 minutes the staff refused to give my bag back to me despite my requests. They insisted that I did something first which was very intiminating in that I have to answer this phone call to tour company. They stated (the porter with the mostache) that I will not get my bags back unless i did this call. I asked many times that what they were doing is blackmailing me to do something that I don't want to do. Why did not just give my bag back and not hold me to ransom against my will.

I held my ground by refusing to do what they were asking. I kept asking for my bag pack and I also requested the police to be called in (my mobile was dead). Eventually I said that I was going to get the police myself and come back - funny enough they let me have my bag back when they realise I was serious about the police!

As I said - DO NOT use the left luggage service here. They will hold you to ransom.

Point for tripadvisor - please do not remove this review as for your information I did stay at this hotel overnight on Sunday 4th May so thus can review its rooms, food and stay. People need to know what the hotel staff did to me so they can make their own informed choice if they to stay here or not.

PR from UK

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Paul R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Like most, stayed here as part of an organized tour so can't comment on cost or value. Rooms were basic with no critters and amenities worked so no complaints. Problem came at the end when the porter tried to rip us off with a taxi ride. Once we refused the taxi he recommended with the "broken meter" and hailed our own, he proceeded to tell our new cabbie to refuse us a ride so the taxi left. We had to walk down the street to hail another cabbie so he wouldn't interfere. Unbelievably rude service after we had stayed here for two nights!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Tuscon33

Travellers are raving about these Marrakech hotels

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed here at start and end of a cycle trip. Arrived a day early and the check in was friendly and efficient. The reception/downstairs area is nicely furnished in 'Morrocan' style, with setteess, low chairs, tiles and mosaics. The breakfast area looks out ovet the pool. Location is good.. and easy 10 minute walk into the old town and 5 minutes in the otehr dirtection to the new town. Spent an afternoon around the pool and felt away from the bustle. My first room was on first floor (no balcony) my second on fifth floor (with balcony). Rooms good size for a city hotel.. clean but worn carpets, beds comfortable, ample hot water both stays. Bathrooms are tired, but everything worked. There is a lot of road noise, but it is a city hotel!! After a week in other hotels it seemed better second time around! Breakfast limited - bread, egg, orange juice, cheese, jam... but that is typical fare (the French influence?!?) WiFi was excellent the first stay, both in reception areas and my room; on second stay it kept dropping out and there was no signal on 5th floor. For a one/two night stay at start/end of trip it was fine, but do not expect five star luxury in this medium range hotel!!

Room Tip: All rooms are noisy, but those overlooking the pool less so. WiFi spreads to some rooms on 1st floo...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dronfield England
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed here on the first and last night of a week long tour of Morocco. Our views of the property changed dramatically over the period.
First night, surly staff, no air con controls and loud aircon when it worked. Noisy location and very hot. No warm water and did not look too clean.
Last night, staff friendly, less noise and slept without interruption, air con worked perfectly, hot water and clean.

Breakfast was good on both occasions.

This hotel is 25 minutes walk from main square and you can see the old town walls from the rooms at the back of the hotel.

Perception changed once you have roughed it in the lesser touristy interior where rooms can be spartan. Worth a punt if you are on a tight budget.

Room Tip: Don't have too high expectations. Rooms at rear are quieter.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
UK
Reviewed 21 April 2014

So we came here with a tour.

Place is perfectly reasonable for a few nights and, yes, a few things needed mending here and there, but so what.

Pool was nice enough. Food was perfectly adequate (actually really liked the meal on the first night!)

The bar was basic and didn't stay open late into the night, so essential to keep a good supply of bottled water handy.

There's a supermarket about 5 minutes walk away, so you can get plenty of provisions easily enough.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank AnonymousAgain
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

I think a lot of the reviews for this hotel are unjustified. This is a not a 5* hotel is Paris. It's a 3* in a North African city and to be honest it is excellent value for the dirt cheap price. If you have travelled the rest of Morocco you will find that this is quite luxurious in comparison to a mud hut! I went with my partner as part of a tour group and found the staff very welcoming and helpful. The foyer is very traditionally decorated with mosaic, cushions and carpets. The room was very spacious and we had a large bed. We also had a good sized bath which was nice. Reasonably clean given the location. There was a pool which was nice to dip the toes in but we probably wouldn't have gone for a swim! I wouldn't recommend for a 'luxurious' or 'romantic' getaway but for a safe and comfy place to spend the night on a budget - yes! Also if you hate tour groups...probably not for you as several tour companies use it.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
sydney
Reviewed 27 January 2014

This place probably suffers from the fact it is used by a lot of budget travel companies, so in a way doesn't really need to try too hard.
On my arrival the reception staff were not too interested in helping.
The rooms are OK , Worn but clean, rather bland and spartan. The bathrooms are shabby, as are the towels and hot water totally unreliable. In December this was not a plus.
Public areas are ok, breakfast is good enough but not a buffet. We had dinner there the first night and I was delicious.
As part of a tour, it is a reasonable place, except for lack of hot water, but if you're an independent traveller, you'd be better of staying closer to the medina and in somewhere far more atmospheric and with some character.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends