“Worth the price”

Hotel Le Grand Imilchil
Ranked #426 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

The place is perfect! Service is nice the rooms are clean. It is totally worth the price. However if you are looking for golden toilet seats please visit different country. It is shame that people are writing poor reviews about this hotel, we can't forget where we are and maybe adjust our expectation.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Martyna S

Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed a total of 3 nights in this hotel. It is run down, with poor (non existent) service. It is only kept afloat because of the constant flood of tour groups. On the first night my travelling companions had to change rooms 3 times because the first had no flushing toilet, second had no working aircon etc, third had no hot water etc. Each time the girls would go to reception the 'service attendant' would roll his eyes and act as if the girls were making it up.

The hotel also seems to have migrant families living there as beside my room were families who had moved into the rooms - I could see it was a living quarters not just a hotel room. The children would be running up and down the hall at all hours of day/night.

My room's toilet stopped working and the door's lock also was a bit touch and go- meaning it was difficult to secure the room. The air conditioning's remote had no batteries so was stuck on artic blow. Despite repeated requests for assistance which meet arrived.

Breakfast was ok - but a small water cost 12dh which is about a 300-400% mark up on the usual price for a small water.

I would recommend NOT staying at this hotel.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Marc0P0l0Traveller
Reviewed 13 May 2014

DON'T use the left luggage service as you will be blackmailed before you get your bags back.

At approx 1115 hrs to 1155 hrs on Thursday 8th may 2014 the staff at this hotel committed this crime against me.

For approximately 45 minutes the staff refused to give my bag back to me despite my requests. They insisted that I did something first which was very intiminating in that I have to answer this phone call to tour company. They stated (the porter with the mostache) that I will not get my bags back unless i did this call. I asked many times that what they were doing is blackmailing me to do something that I don't want to do. Why did not just give my bag back and not hold me to ransom against my will.

I held my ground by refusing to do what they were asking. I kept asking for my bag pack and I also requested the police to be called in (my mobile was dead). Eventually I said that I was going to get the police myself and come back - funny enough they let me have my bag back when they realise I was serious about the police!

As I said - DO NOT use the left luggage service here. They will hold you to ransom.

Point for tripadvisor - please do not remove this review as for your information I did stay at this hotel overnight on Sunday 4th May so thus can review its rooms, food and stay. People need to know what the hotel staff did to me so they can make their own informed choice if they to stay here or not.

PR from UK

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Paul R
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Like most, stayed here as part of an organized tour so can't comment on cost or value. Rooms were basic with no critters and amenities worked so no complaints. Problem came at the end when the porter tried to rip us off with a taxi ride. Once we refused the taxi he recommended with the "broken meter" and hailed our own, he proceeded to tell our new cabbie to refuse us a ride so the taxi left. We had to walk down the street to hail another cabbie so he wouldn't interfere. Unbelievably rude service after we had stayed here for two nights!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Tuscon33
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed here at start and end of a cycle trip. Arrived a day early and the check in was friendly and efficient. The reception/downstairs area is nicely furnished in 'Morrocan' style, with setteess, low chairs, tiles and mosaics. The breakfast area looks out ovet the pool. Location is good.. and easy 10 minute walk into the old town and 5 minutes in the otehr dirtection to the new town. Spent an afternoon around the pool and felt away from the bustle. My first room was on first floor (no balcony) my second on fifth floor (with balcony). Rooms good size for a city hotel.. clean but worn carpets, beds comfortable, ample hot water both stays. Bathrooms are tired, but everything worked. There is a lot of road noise, but it is a city hotel!! After a week in other hotels it seemed better second time around! Breakfast limited - bread, egg, orange juice, cheese, jam... but that is typical fare (the French influence?!?) WiFi was excellent the first stay, both in reception areas and my room; on second stay it kept dropping out and there was no signal on 5th floor. For a one/two night stay at start/end of trip it was fine, but do not expect five star luxury in this medium range hotel!!

Room Tip: All rooms are noisy, but those overlooking the pool less so. WiFi spreads to some rooms on 1st floo...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed here on the first and last night of a week long tour of Morocco. Our views of the property changed dramatically over the period.
First night, surly staff, no air con controls and loud aircon when it worked. Noisy location and very hot. No warm water and did not look too clean.
Last night, staff friendly, less noise and slept without interruption, air con worked perfectly, hot water and clean.

Breakfast was good on both occasions.

This hotel is 25 minutes walk from main square and you can see the old town walls from the rooms at the back of the hotel.

Perception changed once you have roughed it in the lesser touristy interior where rooms can be spartan. Worth a punt if you are on a tight budget.

Room Tip: Don't have too high expectations. Rooms at rear are quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 April 2014

So we came here with a tour.

Place is perfectly reasonable for a few nights and, yes, a few things needed mending here and there, but so what.

Pool was nice enough. Food was perfectly adequate (actually really liked the meal on the first night!)

The bar was basic and didn't stay open late into the night, so essential to keep a good supply of bottled water handy.

There's a supermarket about 5 minutes walk away, so you can get plenty of provisions easily enough.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family