“Wonderful stay”
Review of Riad Turquoise

Riad Turquoise
Ranked #85 of 1,172 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

A big thank you to Soufian and the staff at Riad Turquoise. We were made to feel very welcome. Soufian seemed to always be around to help any way he could, and always with a a smile, but never too intrusive. We have never been looked after so well! Breakfast was superb, and he told us what all the items were called in Fench, to help us with the language as well.
Our stay was very comfortable, and relaxing, from the time we arrived and we're given tea and patries while we checked in, to the time we were waiting for the taxi to the airport.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Colin H

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Just spent 3 lovely nights at this lovely riad with very hospitable staff. Stayed in the Fushia suite, very spacious with attention to detail. George the owner very helpful, recommending restaurants and cabs etc. This riad is in a fab location close to the tourist hotspots. Couldn't fault it at all and would have no problem recommending this riad and would definitely stay here again. The only downside we found was with the bathroom which had no door as such which restricted privacy but no big deal just turn up the tv, lol!! George also arranged our airport transfers which we do recommend.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Beverley P
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I think this is probably the best small hotel I've ever stayed at. We were welcomed by Sufian and told to make ourselves feel at home - and we did for four nights! The service he provided during our stay was excellent, very attentive. The riad was very peaceful despite being in the centre of the Medina. Lots of small cosy spaces to relax both inside and outside on the sun terrace. The jacuzzi was a lovely extra touch! The room was great, decorated in the turquoise theme with a safe, A/C and French TV. Breakfast was served at the dining table and consisted of crepes, toast, crumpets and pastries with coffee and juice - really good. As we arrived late on the first night we ate at the raid - and it was the best meal we had all holiday, an excellent tajine and a selection of salads.

The location of the riad was great as we were able to easily reach the main sights of the Medina within a few minutes walk - 15 mins to the Jemma el Fna (though the crazy traffic!) and less to get to the El Badi and Bahia Palaces and the Saadian Tombs. The main souks are about 20 mins walk. We found it very handy to be able to escape back to the calmness of the riad after a few hours in the craziness of the Medina streets.

The language of the riad was definitely French - so if you only speak English you might have to mime a bit - but Sufian was very patient with my terrible attempts at speaking French.

We really enjoyed our stay and would definitely recommend the riad.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank emma_m_01
Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

This riad has been finished to a very high quality. My girlfriend and I stayed in the chocolate suite which is very very spacious!!! Located within walking distance (less than 10mins) to Jamma el fna and close by to all the local tourist spots.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jespan18
Reviewed 16 October 2013

My wife and I spent 8 nights at this Riad and were not disappointed. When arriving in the airport taxi transfer (arranged through the Riad) we were a little worried as the area does not look the best (however I now know if you’re staying in the medina all the areas are similar), we were lead down a small lane to the hotel entrance. As soon as we walked through the door all our fears disappeared, the decor of this beautiful riad is fantastic. We stayed in room turquoise which I liked as the windows look straight out into the courtyard. The riad was very clean and facilities good, location was great, just a short walk too many of the tourist attractions. Breakfast was nice everyday but could do with some variation as it is always the same, however I'm sure the staff would be more than happy to accommodate any requests.
Despite, all the plus points mentioned above the absolute best part of this Riad is the staff, so friendly, helpful, polite and nothing is too much trouble. We were greeted by Sufiyan who looked after us for the whole stay and I have kept in touch with him since leaving Marrakech. Ilham leaves your room spotless and smelling lovely each day and Khadijah makes a wonderful breakfast, I'm sure if we had an evening meal at Riad Turquoise it would have been lovely. Ask George the Riad owner for restaurant recommendations, he is happy to make reservations and knows all the good eateries. George booked an Atlas Mountain excursion for us which was a great trip.
If you are going to Marrakech and want to experience the heart of it and stay in the Medina I would definitely recommend this Riad.

Only slight criticism would be that some nights it was noisy when other guests return late and the lack of variety at breakfast (if you had a short stay the breakfast would not bother you).

The staff speak French, limited English or Moroccan Arabic, I can speak no French and hardly any Arabic but we got by just fine with English, my broken Arabic and itranslate on the i-phone which meant the free wifi on offer was very handy.

Room Tip: If it's in your price range ask for room chocolate, it is beautiful and very spacious.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2013

It was really a cute little arab house turned into a dreamy hotel? It has different levels with terraces. Walking through it felt like walking through the Arab palaces in the game Prince of Persia. We felt right at home as soon as we walked through the door and were received by the hotel keeper Sofian since the own was not yet at the hotel until later on in the evening. The service provided by Sofian was first class, he was very humble, eager to please and always with a smile. The courtyard was very dreamy and we could see the kitchen at the corner, comfortable bench sofas are everywhere and throughout our stay I sometimes barefooted and felt pretty clean and didn't stepped in anything that would have made me go *eww yucky*.

We were given the suite Fushia right next to the Jacuzzi outside, it was quiet and private (but of course, we were there at low season). We enjoyed our first dinner up on the terrace of the hotel, it was delicious, better than I had expected.

The hotel belongs to George and his family so we were told by him, he was present all throughout our stay and he did all the booking for us, he even walked us to the restaurant Pepenero since it was hard to find through little wiggly waggly alleys. He was very a gracious and helpful host and he made our stay very enjoyable and we felt we were in good hands.

On our last night, we decided to dine in up on the terrace again. George arranged for me to talk to the cook, I explain to her what we really needed to eat since we were in dying need of a home cook meal and she did just that. She was very nice as I was running in and out of the kitchen talking to her, I actually felt like I was at home which I did not feel the same at other hotels. She did an amazing job of preparing our last dinner at the Riad Turquoise, we ate and enjoyed everything she prepared and we were very thankful.

I reckon it wouldn't be the same had we come to Marrakech and stayed in Le Riad Turquoise in high season but I am certain that we would get the same treatment as we did. So my suggestion people, go out of season even though it would be more heat but it was bearable.

George, the wild wild west saloon door to the toilet was very annoying, we have the same door at our house but to our kitchen and it is smooth as silk. The panels were hard to push and very noisy. Nonetheless, Riad Turquoise is the best hotel on our list even better than the Atlantis in Dubaï.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank embcn
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I have written 400 reviews and this is one of the best places I have stayed. The place is hidden in the medina and when you go through the tiny door you get to an amazing courtyard which is paradise. We had a large suite on the roof next to the jacuzzi which was lovely

George booked all our trips our restaurants and guides and was super super helpful in a genuine way . He and his staff particularly sophran were wonderful

Any criticisms? Didn't like the door on the toilet!

The rest was wonderful, will certainly be back

Far far better than the international hotels outside the medina.

Room Tip: The suites are excellent the fuchsia suite is the best .
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends