“Okay”

Ranked #140 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Okay”
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

We moved to this riad after staying in another riad in Marrakech and perhaps this contributed to our sense of disappointment as we had had a lovely time in our first riad.

Nicolas is fantastic and he really was the highlight of the stay.

Breakfast was ok - although variety limited. We had a few plumbing issues (which were sorted out quickly). The shower fitting fell off the wall during a shower. We found the staff impersonal and not very available. The room we were in was not very big. We chose not to have dinner in the riad as we were not impressed with breakfasts.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank vapp83
Dear guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your impressions on the riad, although your compliments made me blush, I apologize if the staff felt too distant, I hope that I did not created a barrier by being too present.
It is a shame that we happened to experience these untimely shower and plumbing issues, it saddens me that it was partly responsible for spoiling your experience of the riad.

On the other hand and as you noticed, the staff promptly fixed the problem and in the same spirit they would have had no trouble doing something different or something more for breakfast, had they known what would have pleased you.
Even though our breakfast includes fresh orange juice and fruit salad, home made yogurt and jam with toasted bread, and each day a different kind of cake and pancakes, we are always happy to do something different or extra. Shame too that as a consequence you did not get to try our lunch or dinner that can be equally adaptative.

I hope that you still had a pleasant time in Marrakech and that you would come back someday to give us a chance to prove ourselves to you

Nicolas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Surrey
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We stayed at the Riad for a week having done lots of research into where to stay while in Marrakech. The positive reviews of this place are bang on the money and if I were to ever go back to Marrakech, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

The Riad is in the north west of the Medina, and maybe a 15 minute walk from the main square. It's worth noting though, that we barely spent any time in the main square, as there are so many other things to do in the Medina, and once you get your bearings (which didn't take us long) its an easy walk (minding the scooters!). It is also easy to get the Majorelle Gardens and the new town from the Riad.

Nicolas was incredibly helpful, describing the routes and what to look out for to help navigate. He also made reservations for us when we asked him to, and made recommendations of places to eat.

We stayed in Blanche room- I'd recommend this on the basis that it is maybe quieter than some of the other rooms. The nature of a riad means it is arranged around a central courtyard, and so noise travels. So if you are a light sleeper- pack ear plugs. We were disturbed on our last night by some inconsiderate guests being noisy, which was a shame.

I also had a very painful facial in the spa- maybe that is the way they are done in Morocco, but I wouldn't go back for one in a hurry! I didn't have any other treatments though, so maybe they would be more relaxing!!

The food is simple but tasty.

Overall, this was one of the best hotel experiences I've ever had- the staff, the location, the design, the food... all of it made for a really enjoyable trip to Marrakech.

Room Tip: The 'rooms' rather than 'suites' are probably quieter, as the suites open out onto c...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SCSurrey
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure welcoming you as was reading your review of your stay. So sorry about your last night being spoiled by another of our guests who go too enthusiastic too late. You will be glad to know that following your and other feedbacks we now work only with a specialized company that employs certified and highly qualified beauticians.
The team and I thanking you for your kindness and wish you well.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 October 2013

My friend and I had spent a few days at a corporate type hotel for a conference, and decided to finish our time in Marrakech with a stay in a Riad. After looking on the internet we chose the Riad Anyssates. We are so glad we did! The only problem was only being there for two nights - we wish we could have stayed for much longer.

The staff were fabulous! Nicholas greeted us and checked our understanding of the surrounding medina and souks, and made sure we were well looked after. His English is fabulous, which was great, as our French was a tad limited, to say the least. The rest of the staff had varying levels of English, and with smiles and gestures we were able to communicate all we needed. We were incredibly grateful to be met near the gates of the medina and escorted in to the Riad (we may well have gotten lost) and even more so to be escorted to a taxi at night when we were leaving as it was chaos at that time.

The main area is beautiful. While it is not a traditional Riad, partially because it does not have a fountain, its bijoux pool is a very welcome and cooling addition. The bar is lovely and serene, and while we did not use the Hammam while we were there, it look incredibly relaxing. The resident tortoises (Bob and Caroline) are fun to watch too.

The room we stayed in (Sarah) was just as pictured, but perhaps nicer than expected. It is on the first floor, had excellent toiletries, linen, robes, and slippers, as well as free water and free wireless (with a great password). The breakfasts were absolutely delicious (best continental breakfast we have every had at hotel), served in the upstairs terrace where we could hear the noises from outside (they were not intrusive) and peacefully welcome the day. The dinners were also sumptuous, and served on the terrace where you could look at the stars and listen to the calls to prayer reverberate around the district. If you had specific food issues (vegetarian, allergies) you just had to let the kitchen know in the morning so they could cook something suitable for you. While we did not get a menu with options, what we got was just right: three courses - soups, tagines with hand made couscous, and light desserts (including kiwi tarts with our second dinner, totally appropriate for us as we are from New Zealand). We spent some of the first day relaxing in the sun on the terrace as well, and it was a perfect spot for that.

The price was excellent, and if we were to return to Marrakech there is no doubt that we would return to Riad Anyssates. We highly recommend it if you want a beautiful and relaxing place to be, only 20 minutes stroll from Jemma el Fna (well, depending on how much time you spend looking at the stalls through the medina), and we particularly recommend the breakfasts and dinners.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Louisa,

I am so glad to see you enjoyed your time in the riad and in Marrakech altogether, thank you for sharing this on Tripadvisor, the team and I feel very encouraged by such comments. I hope that we will have the privilege to see you come back soon.

San Diego
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I stayed at the "Riad Anyssates" for the last week, at the end of August 2013. I was worried about the hot weather of Morocco at that time of year, but it turned out to be cooler than breezy San Diego. Turns out, as you get closer to September, the weather cools just enough to make it a great place to visit.

The staff were marvelous, both the French managers and the local Moroccan caretakers and cooks. Staff helped me find the Moroccan dishes I'd read about and wanted to taste. They had a great little map of the city that was well marked. A unfailingly delicious breakfast every morning. Service with style, but also very much with warmth -- from Nicolas, Aisha, Fatima, and especially Taham -- who doesn't go to bed until the the wee hours of the morning - until he hears that each guest has safely returned -- no matter how late that may be. So, no need to worry about security in Marrakech.

What I really like about this location is that it is very much in the heart of the Medina, so you pass the stalls and bustles of activity on the way in and out. Moreover, it is not far from the edge of the western edge of the Medina, so that it is as quick to walk into the Nouvelle Ville as it is to walk to the Djmaa el Fna (main plaza).

I hope to return.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Dear guest,

Many thanks for your friendly review, we were very happy to see how much you liked the riad and our staggering city, having you here with us was a real treat too for my team and I. I hope to see you come back soon!

London
Reviewed 30 August 2013

This was a lovely riad which we found on Mr and Mrs Smith but managed to book on booking.com (because Mr and Mrs Smith Family do not list it and their couple section have a rubbish website for booking with children!)
Anyway the riad itself is gorgeous! Beautifully and lovingly restored. It feels modern but there are lots of traditional touches.
We stayed in the Sarah suite with our two girls aged 9 and 10. It was more than large enough. They had two little beds and we had a huuuuge bed which was a delight to sleep on. I didn't even wake up for the 530am prayer calls as I slept so soundly. The air conditioning in the room is icy cold and it is spotlessly clean. However if you get this room, be careful of the heavy ras shower which fell on my foot on the first day when I put the water on. The water pressure makes it jump out of its resting place so we had to secure it with a hairband!
The pool is larger than other riads from what we saw and is a wonderful way to cool off in the Marrakech heat. At night it is lit with wonderful lamps so there is a lovely atmosphere just lounging around.
There is a bar and you can get good wine and beer at reasonable prices. It's all added to your bill which unlike other places we stayed in you can settle by credit card.
There is also a hamamm which my husband and I both used. He had a massage and I had a traditional hammam which was really nice for 20E.
The staff are lovely. They don't speak much English so you do need to be pretty good at French. There was also a French man called Jerome who was very helpful about places to go.
The challenge is finding this place. Book a petit taxi even if you are driving because the street names change all the time and this 'derb' is a tiny tiny street off a tiny street! The are two entrances. Use the front one vs the back if you are driving as it is closer to the parking which we paid 20 Dhms per day/night for. Taham knows the parking chap very well so make sure he comes with you to get that price.
The breakfast is comprehensive but the same everyday. Some variation would have been nice as we were there for three days. The dinner is a must have. We paid 20E for a fantastic three course meal which was a mixture of French and Moroccan. It's just served at a lovely relaxing pace and tasted amazing. They were really happy also to split one adult meal for my girls which always goes down well with me. No fuss. Everything was a yes.
There is also a lovely rooftop area for relaxing and a living room with comfy sofas, rugs, throws and a fireplace.
Would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review, the team and I are delighted to read that you had a good time with us and that we were able to help make your discovery of Marrakech a pleasant one. Come back soon with the kids or just the 2 of you for a romantic escape!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Overall our stay at Riad Anyssates was very good and I would recommend it to couples, small families or small groups of friends. We booked an airport transfer for our arrival which I think is a good idea as the Riad is a little hard to find. We did not meet Nicholas from previous reviews but his colleague Jerome was there instead.

Jerome runs a tour company that organises 1-3 day trips out of Marrakech. He was welcoming and friendly but we found him to be a bit of a strange character. He was negative about a lot of the tourist sites within Marrakech and we got the impression he was trying to get us to book on to one of his tours instead of doing our own thing around the city.

Overall, a very nice stay – however I recommend to do your own research on activities and restaurants and steer accordingly!

The good:
Location, cleanliness, friendliness, furnishings, manicure/pedicure, massages

The bad:
Breakfast - basically bread, butter, jam and coffee which was disappointing at these prices. Ok for those who like sweets in the morning but a boiled egg or slice of cheese would be nice for the rest of us.

Down the middle:
Dinner – decent food and price but it was service over an hour later than we requested and the staff spent the whole time we were eating cleaning the roof terrace. So instead of a nice romantic atmosphere we got treated to a 2 hour showcase of hosing and wiping.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nobananas13
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, it is much appreciated.
I am sorry that I was not in Marrakech at the time of your stay, Jérôme did his best to make your stay enjoyable, I know him well enough to be able to say that he was not merely trying tu sell you his services, he just believes in his work, same as I do, and the guests I recommend to his activities always come back with a big smile and stars in their eyes!
As for the rest, I am sorry for the minor mishap which, I am sure, were due to my absence.
I hope you will be back and allow us to prove ourselves.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We had a wonderful stay at this relaxing riad

Nicholas and the staff were very friendly and attentive. Taham was on hand to help at anytime of the day or night and seemed to really enjoy his job! Nicholas gave us a map to orientate ourselves in the Medina which was, at times, a tricky task. The map was very clear on routes that were easy to follow and for us it took about 15 minutes to get to the square. The friendliness of the staff really added a personal touch that made us feel very welcome.

We stayed in the white room and it was perfect for what we needed. It was clean, the bed was comfortable and, although it was one of the smaller rooms in the riad, the high ceilings and decor made it feel big. The decor throughout the riad was modern with a clear Moroccan twist.

We only had one evening meal during our stay and it was nice - the large portions left us feeling very full. Breakfast was fruit, yogurt and pancakes almost every day. It would have been nice to have a little more selection, but it was fine all the same. Nicholas provided us with recommendations for good places to eat in the evenings. We tried Cafe Arabe and thoroughly enjoyed the food and the cocktails ;).

We had a wonderful holiday here and enjoyed every moment whilst in the riad; be it by the pool or on the roof terrace waiting for the breaking of the fast and the calls from loud speakers across the city.

We would stay here again without a shadow of a doubt! And possibly will return with friends soon!

Thank you for a lovely experience.

Emma and Mark!

Room Tip: If you are looking for a riad with a reasonably sized pool, this pool is remarkably large!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Emmie_g2
Dear Emmie,

Thank you for a great review of your stay in the riad. Reading it was a great boost for the team and I. We hope to see you back with us soon for another relaxing time inMarrakech, with friends and family.