All reviews roof terrace airport transfer mint tea tucked away first floor the main square walled city day trip the ground floor each morning standard room his team away from the hustle and bustle old city lovely room an excursion narrow streets
Reviewed 5 February 2014

The King of Morocco was staying in Marrakech 5 minutes away from where we were in the Medina, and I understand that Niccole Kidman and Damian Lewis were also in town whilst filming a new movie, Queen of the Desert. I am sure that we received as good service, warmth and hospitality as they have whilst we stayed at the Riad Ambre Epices.

Our hosts were all very friendly, helpful and attentive and we very much enjoyed the local food served for both breakfast and dinner, we also enjoyed a nice light lunch on the roof terrace taking in some sun prior to departing.

I was looking for something out of the ordinary to take my wife for a short surprise break. This was our first visit to Marrakech and it did not disappoint in respect of offering in many ways a window on the past, allowing us to immerse ourselves in local cultures and traditions very different from the usual western tourist fare.

Patrice, the manager, Ibrahim, Abdul, Omar and Fatimah are a star team that help make the Riad Ambre Epices a lovely peaceful haven within the busy labyrinths of the old city walls of the Medina.

I concur with many of the other comments previously stated about this venue, such as it is a good value central location if you wish to stay in the old Medina. There are good restaurants for varying budgets within walking distance that Patrice can recommend and also provide guidance on excursions to see the attractions around Marrakech and book both on your behalf if you wish.

My advice would be to seek out a good guidebook or research what you may wish to see and experience before arriving, a few basic words of Arabic and or a little French will certainly go a long way and it will be wise to familiarise yourself with the exchange rate for the Moroccan Dirham.

Normal safety tips apply, no more. We always felt safe. The people and streets just aren’t probably what you are used to seeing. We have been hassled a lot more in in many other locations around the world. Just be mindful of friendly “helpful” un-official guides that will want to walk you to tanneries or locations for paid tourist photos, various shops that have an auction on, just for the day, and would often be grateful of a few Dirham for their trouble, then pass you on to the next location where you will have the opportunity to part with your money. If you can manage to hang on to a little small change it may occasionally help.

We immediately took on board the route from the main thoroughfare to and from our accommodation but beware if you venture deeper in to the narrow winding cobbled streets of the Medina it is easy to get disorientated. Armed with this knowledge you should have a wonderful time exploring Marrakech and the surrounding area using the Riad Ambre Epices as your base.

PS: I booked our flights via British Airways with optional add on packages for the accommodation and also transfer to and from the airport, which worked well for us. BA flights, crew in the air and on the ground at both ends were all helpful and the experience lived up to expectations.

We stayed in a room on the first floor of the main older part of this Riad, which was fine for our short stay. We also viewed the newly opened adjoining rooms, which were very contemporary and offered the facilities of the main traditional building combined with a more modern style, so something for everyone.

In my opinion with regards to the official photographs on the websites that I have seen, those of our room, and those of the common arrears for guests, were accurate; note the swimming pool is perhaps in reality a very large, ascetically pleasing, plunge pool which takes centre stage with the main dining area surrounding a nice backdrop in the evening.

Asking for a particular evening eating experience we asked Patrice for a recommendation and we dined at the Dar Zellij, which we found a first class Moroccan eating, service and entertainment experience.

We hope to return in the not too distant future, perhaps with some friends, to take advantage of the things we could not incorporate in this 3 night taster visit.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights, it's a beautiful Riad in the heart of the Medina! The service is impeccable. A special thank you to Ibrahim who looked after us for the entire holiday. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a three day stay at this hotel and it's deffinitely one of the nicest places I've ever stayed. The staff are incredibly attentative and helpful and they did everything they could to make our stay enjoyable. The food is also amazing and the hotel itself is gorgeous. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who visits Marrakech.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at the riad for four nights as part of my 50th birthday celebrations. It was perfect. The staff are excellent and very attentive. The accommodation is of a very high standard and very well maintained. The breakfasts were delicious with tasty variations each day. We had an excellent dinner on the night we arrived. We stayed in "Floraison de l'Atlas" which was very comfortable but perhaps a little on the small side if you are staying longer. The riad is well situated with excellent nearby restaurants. When arriving you may begin to wish you had brought some breadcrumbs to leave a trail............. throught the narrow cobbled alleyways, however we were met by a member of staff which I would suggest you arrange prior to your arrival.

Lovely place excellent staff - we will return

Room tip: Ask for onw of the larger rooms if you are staying longer. There are five new rooms which are VERY modern opening soon these are a very high standard and you should enquire about their availability
Reviewed 23 January 2014

My husband and I stayed 4 nights and the riad lived up to the glowing reviews on Trip Advisor. The welcome tea and cookies were a nice touch, the staff very nice and helpful, lovely breakfasts, and the room comfortable. We were in the traditional riad, not the new, modern riad next door. We looked at both at were happy we chose traditional. It had a lot more character albeit fewer bells and whistles in the room. Our only complaint was about departure. The French gentleman at the front desk was out sick for the final two days of our stay. The young woman who replaced him was inexperienced. She twice gave us the wrong balance on our bill the day before departure. My husband went to the ATM the morning we left and as we were leaving she told us the balance was almost twice the amount she originally quoted. She admitted her mistake and it was fortunate we had euros and could use that to settle the bill. If not, I'm not sure how that would have worked as there was no time to run back to the ATM. The other problem was the hotel transportation back to the airport. A "bell man" walked us and our luggage several minutes out to a parking area for pickup. The car with the hotel's usual driver was 30 minutes late. We had already paid for the transport at the hotel but came close to jumping in a taxi. Either the woman at the front desk failed to book the correct time or the driver decided to hustle another fare before picking us up. We almost missed our flight. Unncecessary stress after such an enjoyable stay.

Room tip: Second floor, not the main floor.
2  Thank ajgoldberg