“A magical oasis fit for a princess”
Review of Riad Abracadabra

Riad Abracadabra
Ranked #135 of 1,153 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Paris, France
“A magical oasis fit for a princess”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I cannot say enough about the amazing service from the moment I booked the hotel, until the time we left. Ines was fantastic and providing information before we even arrived so that we could have our arrival and first day planned and make the most of our time. We decided to book the transfer from the airport, as I had heard that it was so easily to become lost in the Medina on your first day and from the moment we arrived in the square, we knew we were in good hands. We arrived quickly and had a quick bite to eat (we had a very early morning flight) and then we went on a tour of the Medina with a guide they recommended (all pre-booked thanks to Ines!). I highly recommend the guided tour of the Medina if you've never been to Marrakech before, it would have been completely overwhelming with out it. Looking back, the only thing I wish we would have done is ordered dinner at the riad for the first night (you must order it in the morning so they have time to prepare it), as going out that night in our exhaustion proved too much for my son.

I highly recommend booking the tours through the riad, as they have many options for you, and it's so much easier to charge everything to the room and you don't have to haggle with anyone over prices. We chose a few tours: the tour guide in Marrakech, a drive through the Palmeries and a camel ride (not my favorite, but my son loved it), and a trip to the Atlas Mountains on the backs of a mule to the Kasbah de Toubkal for lunch (my son's favorite). Lunch at the Kasbah has two options: a set 3 course meal (which requires a reservation for 30€) or a la carte with 2 options-couscous or brochettes de poulet (chicken skewers) with a salad (20€ for adults, 10€ for children). Thankfully we didn't have a reservation, as the a la carte was delicious and the perfect amount of food for us (it was actually our favorite Moroccan meal of the entire trip). I am so thankful that the riad could arrange all of these adventures for us!

The riad itself is so relaxing from the moment you step inside (the lovely water fountains and lounge area), and the rest of the riad is exactly as pictured on their website! Our favorite thing to do at night was sit by the fire, have drinks and a snack and just relax! By the end of our stay, the staff knew how much we loved the fire, and they kept it burning all night for us until we arrived home from dinner! The riad was clean, comfortable (even the bed!), felt like home (with fresh linens, bathrobes and slippers) and the staff really did treat you like royalty. Anything that you may need or want, they were happy to oblige. Here's the an example of the extremes they would go to: I really loved the serving dish that they used to serve nuts/olives in when you ordered drinks. Instead of simply asking them where they bought it, I spent the entire last day of our trip searching the souks for such a dish (I thought for sure it must be common in Marrakech). When I didn't find it, I finally asked the manager about it and he told me that they have an artisan who makes the dishes for them, but he said maybe the artisan would have additional pieces in his studio. He called the artisan to find out if he had any in the souks, but he didn't remember the piece, so the artisan came to the riad to look at the dish (arriving only 15 mins later), but confirmed that he only made the dishes for the riad (darn!!). I just thought that it was so amazing that they would even offer to go through all of the trouble for a client. I have traveled all over the world and have never experienced service like this!

I cannot recommend this Riad enough to anyone visiting Marrakech who would like to stay in the Medina!

Room Tip: I loved staying in the Deluxe Suite Madame Mim. It was so nice to have the extra space, and it felt...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank JessicainParis75

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Solihull
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Have just returned from a wonderful stay at the riad Abracadara with my two daughters, aged 13 and 17. We were looked after splendidly and the staff could not have been more helpful. The riad is tucked away down a side street just off the big square so really close to all the action but still very peaceful and quiet. Lovely roof terrace with a small pool and great views.

Room Tip: We had the suite merlin on the ground floor which was fine. I think i missed the windows in the su...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Sarahlovesfrance
Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

We were met just off the town square which was absolutely chaotic, followed our contact through the bedlam, narrow streets & market until we came to an innocuous door. Open sesame!! Bruno Olivier, the very handsome & charming Spanish owner greated us warmly and it was perfect from there. Lovely room, fab breakfasts on the roof terrace, lovely cozy fire at night and very helpful staff. They organized a great guide, restaurants & massages. And when we got lost (very easy to do) they sent a staff member to retrieve us! It was too cold (a blessing) to use the pool but we loved a sunset drink on the terrace. The only negative, and it was small, is due to the rustic decor with old timber doors & windows it could be a little noisy. We loved our stay.

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank Wangilla
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Positive : Nice decorated, we 've got a lot of interesting and practical information of things to see in marrakesh, from the owner Ines. Also good service from the staff of the riad. Kind serving at breakfast and at diner. Bathroom with beautiful design and clean towels, bathrobes, and even personal slippers. The bedroom is not so big, but the bed is perfect and with nice white sheets. Little negative points for us : there is à smell in the riad that we didn't rally like. Maybe it''s because of the smell you have in all the medina? Also the swimming pool had a not so nice odor, but was for the rest nice to cool down à bit. The curtains, and overall in the riad where you have seats it looked all à bit less clean, because of the stains everywhere. To end positive : breakfast was delicious with fresh orange juice and home made speciality of the house. In the morning you wake up early with the imam next to your ears, but this you van get used to. It is à great advantage if you want to visit the souks and the medina to choose this riad because it is near to all this.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Hilde V
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights having had a terrible experience at another riad around the corner when we were badly scammed by a rather unpleasant individual. This riad helped us sort out the issues which then enabled us to have a very relaxing and enjoyable time in marrakech! The rooms were great - very clean, the beds comfortable and all the staff were so helpful. Thank you so much!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sarita150
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Everything was fine, ever better than fine because the service was excellent, location was great, room was very beautiful and spacious. The Riad is well decorated an we had a wonderful weekend in Marrakesh!

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Marjeffsam
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 6 June 2013

My daughter and I recently stayed at Riad Abracadabra and loved everything about it. The service is very personalized. Hicham and his team made certain that we had dinner reservations where we wanted to go and helped us to plan other activities. The food at the hotel is excellent and the rooms are very comfortable and homey. It was a wonderful stay. I would definitely choose Riad Abracadabra on my next visit.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family