“2 night stay part of Secret Escapes package”
Review of Riad Suliman

Riad Suliman
Ranked #136 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I stayed at Riad Suliman with my sister during a city break to Marrakech. Booked the trip through secret escapes which was supposed to include 4 nights at Riad Suliman, however when we arrived and after some complimentary mint tea and biscuits we were told (along with a couple) that due to a problem with secret escapes over booking we had to stay at another Riad a short distance away for 2 nights...this was not the best start to the trip although we were reassured it was not the Riad's fault. I do feel that as we booked the trip in July 2013 this was a bit odd, especially as I received an email in August 2013 from the Riad's manager asking if I wanted to pay to upgrade the room! Given the length of time ago it was booked, I would have appreciated an email from the Riad to advise that this was going to be the case.

Good bits; When it came to move back to Riad Suliman our room was pretty much ready when we arrived at 10.30am which was good. It was nicely decorated and well presented. The whole Riad is very well decorated and clean. Rooftop terrace is nice, although it was nicer at the other Riad we stayed at. Staff are friendly and on hand to provide tips/advice at any time. Breakfast was nicely presented and good; different hot dish (e.g omelette), cake/pastry & bread with jams, juice & hot drink, yogurt.

Bad bits; the double bed was very uncomfortable with a huge dip in the middle (could perhaps do with a new mattress!), the shower went from freezing cold to scolding hot within a matter of seconds throughout, the shower water did not drain away quick enough so you were left in a pool of dirty water, the room felt damp and therefore there was a bad smell (chairs & bedding) at times. There was at times a lack of clarity with the information we were told in regards to the hammam. Our booking with secret escapes included a 30 min hamman, however when we arrived we were told by one staff member that this only mean we could sit in the hamman room for 30 mins and did not include a scrub. On another day, we were told this meant we would get 100D off any spa package, then on another day when we wanted to see our bill we were told that the secret escapes package included the hamman and scrub - which was great but it would have better to have been told this from the start! The hamman and scrub we had was great none the less! Another issue was that I felt at times the staff tried to push for you to have dinner in the Riad. We were asked on a few occasions if we wanted dinner, and although this was great to be provided with the opportunity, it did feel like it was being pushed. The menu is around 25 euros which is very expensive when you can eat well and on a low budget in the city.

Location; Although the location is only 5 mins from some of the main sights and 10/15 mins from the square, the last 5 mins of the walk back to the Riad isn't great as you have to walk along a few dark roads and through two narrow tunnels (battling the traffic). Being two young women travelling on our own (we have both travelled a LOT and took gap years at 18) it did not feel very safe, especially when there are groups of men sat on the street trying to talk to you and occasionally following you.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank JBennett29
dagusia_6, Owner at Riad Suliman, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

I was really upset to read you review, as you didn't mention any of those negative things during your stay. As I told you the overbooking was caused by the agency, it is true that I've sent you even more than one email, but as we didn't get any rely we assumed that the email was incorrect. We never push anybody to have anything at the Riad, we just proposed the dinner on your first night, as most of the guests prefer to eat here in order to acclimatise themselves, and after the hammam, as you were having it at 18:00. For the hammam, I don't understand why there was a confusion. The hammam and the body scrub was included, and you weren't charged for it. The value of it was 100 dhs and that is why I told you that if you have a package (meaning hammam, scrub and MASSAGE) you will get a 100 dh discount. I am really sorry to hear that you didn't completely enjoyed your stay, especially that most of those deficiencies may have been solved by a simple communication of them to us. I also wanted to mention that on the exact same day, 13th of March we've got a 5 star review from guests who've been staying in the exact same room, Turquoise, and were very happy about it. I really hope that you will still remember Marrakech in a positive way, and maybe if you decide to pay us a visit next time we will have opportunity to make it up to you.
Kind regards

Reviewed 13 March 2014

My husband and I booked a week in Marrakech staying at the Riad Suliman through Secret Escapes. I had read lots of favourable reviews on here and I can heartily endorse them all! We had a wonderful stay - even looking at the picture on this page makes me heartsick that I am not at my Moroccan 'home' any more! I miss my swan-shaped towels in the morning!

We were met from our airport transfer by Laila and her cute baby son, and she couldn't have been more welcoming, offering us - and the couple we arrived with - mint tea before we enjoyed a lovely home cooked meal. The photos don't do the interior of the Riad justice, it's absolutely magical to come in from the dusty street to a tranquil, cool oasis.

We spent a week enjoying the tasty breakfasts (what these people can't do with eggs isn't worth knowing), then alternating between the hustle and bustle of the streets and the relaxed suntrap rooftop of the Riad, with its well stocked honesty bar and a team of lovely, smiling staff who really make you feel that this is your home for a week, rather than a hotel. All the recommendations and directions given by Laila and her team were spot on and invaluable for navigating such a crazy, busy city.

I could go on and on but if you're thinking of a trip to Marrakech I'd highly recommend the Riad Suliman. Say hello to Suliman the cat for me!

Room Tip: Our room (Emeraude) was on the upper level and was great - I imagine it might be a little odd being...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2014

My friend and I have just returned from a 4 day trip to Marrakech, staying at the Riad Suliman. The riad is very well located, about 10 minutes walk from the main square with a couple of notable sights along the way. It is a welcome retreat from the hubbub and frenzy of Marrakech!! The staff were all lovely, very friendly and helpful, keen to share their tips for sights, shops and restaurants, plus showing us how to get there and advising us on what should be the "right" cost of certain things (i.e. once you've haggled down from the initial over-inflated price!). We had dinner at the riad on our first night, which was delicious, and breakfast every day. Neither of us have dietary requirements so were happy to eat what was prepared - nonetheless, the staff strike me as the types who would go out of their way to cater for your needs if you had any specific foods you couldn't eat etc. The breakfast was varied, and tasty.
The riad has a lovely roof terrace, which we fully enjoyed as the weather was gorgeously hot whilst we were there - we also had a hammam and body scrub at the roof-top which was divine! The decor is tasteful and well thought out, and the friendly nature of the riad meant we met a lot of new friends and had some fun evenings sharing our day's experiences over a sun-downer.

Oh, and the riad has a resident cat called Suliman who is very cute :-)

The owner and staff were happy to book restaurants for us, as well as excursions - the cost was added to our room bill (along with drinks from the rooftop fridge - the "honesty bar") so that you only had to worry about sorting out payment at the end of the trip.

Definitely somewhere i would recommend to friends and family looking for somewhere central in Marrakech!

thanks Dagmara and the rest of the team!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Have just returned from a short break in Marrakech staying at an absolutely charming Riad Suliman. We had all the comforts of superior accommodation without sacrificing the Morrocan authenticity - the rose petals, the lamps and candles, the wonderful bathrooms.The breakfasts were beautifully presented and the staff were extremely courteous and helpful. They achieved a remarkable balance between all things necessary for comfort and good service whilst retaining a sense of being somewhere really special. Loved being in the centre of all the activity. Would love to return to meet Dagmara and her team. Judith Pryke

Room Tip: Good pics on the website
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I have a very pleasant stay with my family at Riad Suliman. The staff are very welcoming and friendly, they offered to meet us at the parking space, which is located at a walking distance, so that we do not get lost, they recommended a very good place to watch football and they even washed our cloths for free. The Riad is conveniently located within walking distance to Jamaa El Fna square and all the main tourist attractions in the Medina, we were even able to grab a horse drawn carriage at the entrance of the Riad, which was very convenient for our tour. The only thing I would recommend changing is mixer taps on the shower. I would definitely recommend Riad Suliman for your next trip to Marrakech.

Room Tip: the rooms on the upper floor are quieter
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Excellent riad! Such very welcoming staff and attractive, clean and well maintained accommodation. The riad is conveniently located within walking distance of all the main tourist sites within the old city yet offers a welcome oasis of rest after all the traffic of the city. Only thing I would change would be better mixer taps on the shower.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a five day visit to Marrakech. All of the staff here were very friendly, helpful and keen for us to enjoy the culture of the City. All of their recommendations proved to be spot on. You will be amazed to find the Riad is on a one way street, although local drivers seem to be totally oblivious of that. You are very close to several attractions and of course the souks. The Riad has been refurbished with some style, but it is the roof terrace where you can enjoy a little tranquility away from the hubbub, enjoy a cold beer and watch the resident storks of the Badii Palace. The standard of the food was always very good. Breakfast was varied and always accompanied by the freshest bread and freshly squeezed orange juice every day. An evening meal was also very tasty but I would say a bit higher priced than the nearby restaurants.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple