“Most impressive...”

Ranked #116 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
Oslo, Norway
“Most impressive...”
Reviewed 9 October 2011

I was met at the airport by the shuttle service as arranged, its a bit pricey (250 MAD compared 150-200 MAD in a taxi), but the air conditioned Mercedes was a welcome relief after a grueling journey.

I was checked in by friendly and helpful staff and when I double checked to make sure I´d got a non-smoking room, they upgraded me to a junior suite at no extra cost. Whether I got the upgrade because I asked for a non smoking room or because I have an Accor Silver card I don´t know. I was offered a drink whist waiting and was sat down whilst I filled in forms etc.

The room was HUGE. Separate lounge area, coffee maker (shame I don´t drink the stuff), huge bed, two tvs two showers, with a huge balcony, which unfortunately didn´t get much sun. I have never been upgraded ever before, so was a little bit chuffed! The room was a little dark, but that meant I slept fantastically, and the bathroom and wardrobes both need a little work/upgrading, but overall no complaints with my room at all.

The interior and exterior of the hotel are beautiful, the pool area especially so, with a variety of sun lounges and chairs to choose from and plenty of shade for those that burn easily. I must admit I fell asleep in the shade in one of the extremely comfortable hammocks on my first afternoon! The pools are both a good size, and the slightly heated pool made all the difference for my early morning swims! The fitness centre is well equipped but unfortunately the power plate was not plugged in and no plug could be found for it. I went to two of the restaurants, LÓrangerie where I had an excellent tagine whilst being entertained by traditional Moroccan music and dance and I had a salad at LÓasis on my last day. The service in both was excellent.

The hotel is only a 15 minute walk to Djemaa el fna square, so the location is great, although the road going past just outside the pool area wall, can be a little loud at times.

Staff were very helpful and friendly and I really cannot give enough praise. Yes, sometimes their English isn´t great, but then the Sofitel is a French hotel chain and Marrakech is a French speaking country so it is to be expected.

I would recommend this hotel, especially if you want a little pool time.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 30 September 2011

We arrived last night. First issue: the reception clerk asked me to sign a pre-authorization credit charge amounting to about twice what my total hotel bill is likely to be. Second Issue: they could not provide a suite with twin beds for our daughters, claiming that had not been specified on the reservation. Third Issue: they moved us to the other older building where the rooms are priced cheaper but claimed this was simply a different concept and the price would be the same. Fourth Issue: the air conditioning did not work properly in that second room we had so that after two hours of unsuccessfully waiting for the room to cool, we were moved to a third room back in the section we had reserved. Fifth Issue: they claimed they had just moved us to a more expensive section (the section I had reserved and paid for) and would have to charge us more!!!! Sixth Issue: they claimed they had no evidence that I had reserved in the Palais Imperial section.Need I go on?

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank DCTravelerG
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed 30 September 2011

We felt like princesses and we were deeply impressed by the hospitality. Everybody is doing such a good job, everybody is so kind, so friendly and we felt so very welcome in the Sofitel. The service was just perfect and the rooms, the restaurants, the pools, the gardens… it left us speechless! Our cordial thanks to the hotel. We will recommend Sofitel as the place to be in Marrakech!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Thank Christina Magda... N
Thatcham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2011

The hotel is ideally situated for the Medina and to see most parts of the town. The room was a nice size (although felt like a railway carriage as it was long and thin) but was very dark inside. The rooms were very clean. The shower in the bathroom was very poor. For a five star hotel I would have expected better. Bathrooms not clean to the level of detail I would expect from five star hotels. The pool area was nice. Good size swimming pools and nice sunbeds. The service was mixed - some great staff others not interested. The biggest problem was the constant sound of music from the bar. From 7:30 to 0:30 this could be heard in the rooms. When we asked to change rooms on the second occasion we were told the music would be turned down. This never happened. It made sleeping in the evening difficult and I was awoken by the noise. It also meant siestas could not happen. For this reason I would advise against this hotel and not stay there again. Although food prices in five star hotels go with the territory this was exceptionally overpriced. Furthermore, considering the price there was no free transportation between the airport and hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Martyn W
Maastricht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 18 August 2011

Hotel Sofitel is situated at the top location in Marrakech. It's beautifully styled and provides more than excellent comfort that anyone could ask for. But if you're somehow used to comfort and care, the hospitality of the staff of Sofitel is overwhelming and beyond your wildest imagination. You’ll get spoiled in care, love and beauty in Sofitel. Taking a haman and massage in their Spa is no less than a divine experience. They really make up for their motto ‘life is beautiful’ .

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank MrJohanM
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 10 July 2011

We stayed at the Sofitel Marrakech Palais Imperial the nights of June 20th and 21st and were delighted with our overall experience. Very high standards and professionnal. The food was also very good in all the restaurants we tried. Would recommend this hotel without hesitation.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple