Sofitel Marrakech Palais Imperial
  • Pool
  • Pool
Mooi Hotel(Marrakech)
2,062 results
All reviewspool areabreakfast buffetjunior suitebeautiful hotelspecial thanksatlas mountainsla mamouniamint teaconciergepoolsloungeredaazizaguidesquareculturedesert
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 October 2012 via mobile

Look this is a really nice hotel, very well located, nicely appointed, a varied offering of different restaurants and bars, The pool area is particular good offering two separate pools and a mix of spaces that break up the area so you don't feel like a bunch of tourists trying to secure your own little bit of territory in a crowded world.

I have eaten here two nights and the food in the Orangey Restaurant like the service has been top notch,

I write this from the external bar of the So nightclub/restaurant having just pointed out on Facebook that my night cap is being nursed as some 'young un's are just going out.

Bedrooms. I am in a very tidy room with views South to the Atlas Mountains. Well appointed and boast the Sofitel 'my bed' with its under duvet which makes for a really comfortable sleep.

I have no problem recommending the hotel, it offers a real quality experience that is probably a lot better value than other brands with more of a North American heritage.

If you come here and you are Anglo Saxon in temperament and I include my American and Canadian cousins you just have to accept the pace of service and attention to detail is different, not wrong but different. So don't always expect staff to fall over to serve you. Test understanding of what you have asked for.... This is true for the whole of Marrakech and try and find a degree of patience - The West End of London or downtown Manhattan this is not. Embrace it and you will have a great time.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 5 October 2012 via mobile

Its a beautiful hotel but the staff is very amateuristic. I forgot my phone in the gym when I went back, not even 3 minutes later it was gone and the only person there was a crew member. He denied and even started being rude. And I also noticed that they treat Americans and Europeans way better than their own people. My friend is Moroccan and they were very rude to him! I was surprised and I actually felt shame. How idiot but anyway the hotel is cool and theres much to do in the area but dont expect a good treatment in this hotel..

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Just returned from Imperial Palace.On arrival our rooms were not good with an unpleasant smell, complained immediately moved to rooms twice the size with private terrace. Staff are great very friendly service can be slow so be prepared. Othman on reception is a star and really helped us during our stay. Khalid on the conceriege desk is a lovely man with great recommendations for eating out. Some people complain about prices in the hotel I only found it expensive around the pool area. Would stay again but did not like Marrakech centre which was dirty luckily the hotel had all we needed

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 September 2012

Pros: Two nice outdoor pools, comfy bed, huge room, extensive breakfast, ideal location away from the "mayhem" of the markets but still within walkable distance, staff are great with kids (not that we had any with us), when I got ill a doctor was called to my room within 30mins
Cons: Drinks were stupidly expensive, no "adult only" pool area, not really much of a view (despite paying out for "mountain view"), shower pressure/temperature a little unpredictable

If you've always wanted to visit Marrakech, or the wider realms of the desert, then a lot of the centrally based hotels - while lovely from what I've seen - just can't match up to the Sofitel in terms of location or grandeur.
The room we had was the size of my London two bed flat. It was massive, more like two rooms than one. The bed was comfy, everything was clean, the balcony was lovely, and the only minor blip I can almost moan about - and this is at a push - is that the shower temperature occassionally drifted from hot to cold unexpectedly. Hardly something to call the police about.
The swimming pools, too, are both huge - far larger than what you'll find elsewhere nearby except, possibly, in the northern "golfers paradise" part of the town. For my money, though, that's just too far away. This Sofitel, on the other hand, is situated far enough away from the madness of the market square for it to feel chilled out and relaxed, but close enough to easily walk in and experience some of the other sights and culture. Or use it as a base to get collected by a tour guide and go explore the mountains or elsewhere.
It was after eating something dodgy, however (nothing to do with this hotel though, it was something from outside), that I got ill. The staff were excellent in calling a doctor to my room. He was here within 30mins, checked for apendicitis, confirmed my gastroentiritis, gave me a bunch of pills to put it right and dull the pain and all that cost a mere £40.
The only reason this property doesn't score five stars is down to the other prices. The rooms are expensive, but I accept that. I'm talking around £7 for a small bottle of beer which, considering this is Marrakech in Africa that we're talking about, is just grossly overpriced. The staff are a little slow in service too.
I like to lounge about on holiday and have a few bottles, but after the two of us had drunk about four each (that's only two pints) we had a bill that was around £55. More than it cost to put my health right as outlined above.
Very few bad words to say about this one though. If you want European comfort in Marrakech then the Sofitel, unlike many other places I've seen and heard about, is the place to be.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mmxbreaks
Reviewed 27 September 2012

My wife and I have just returned from seven days at the Sofitel Palais Imperial. After a miserable summer in the UK, our holiday was primarily to spend long hot days doing nothing other than sit peacefully by a swimming pool reading and swimming and the evenings trying out the local restaurants and wandering around the souks. The Sofitel met all our requirements perfectly. Its situation midway between the Medina and the airport is ideal. The airport transfer by taxi is quick and easy and it is only a twenty minute stroll to the chaos of the Jemaa El Fna and souks.

There are two swimming pools, one more lively than the other but both surrounded by gardens and trees giving a real sense of space in an otherwise built up area. There were always sufficient sunbeds available for everyone which avoided the need for guests to place their towel on ‘their’ bed early in the morning. This allowed us to enjoy long and relaxing breakfasts on the outdoor patio each morning. All very civilised.

Our Junior Suite, a hike to a far wing of the hotel, was decorated in Moroccan style. The air conditioning was very efficient, the bathroom had a bath and a shower but the highest marks go for the bed which must be the most comfortable I can remember in any hotel for a long time. After an evening wandering around the souks it was something we could really looked forward returning to and had difficulty getting out of in the morning. The room was on the ground floor with no real view which at first was disappointing. But it backed on to the garden and allowed us to come and go from room to pool very easily and without having to traipse through the hotel or catch a lift as there was no toilet or shower in the grounds. Something the management may wish to consider.

Finally a word in praise of the staff. Everyone was extremely helpful and friendly, from first arrival until departure. There is a sense of sycophancy and of trying too hard to please which can, at times, feel over-formal and overbearing. But step forward Ydrys who met all our breakfast demands cheerfully and efficiently.

We would willingly stay at the Sofitel again and I would recommend it for anyone looking for somewhere to relax in Marrakech.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the pool if you want a view. Ask for a ground floor garden view if you want easy access to your room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple