“Excellent”

Ranked #111 of 494 Hotels in Marrakech
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Excellent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012 via mobile

The hotel is lovely and the staff are friendly and attentive to your every need. The breakfast on offer is wonderful. Abdil met and greeted me immediately and made sure I was looked after. An excellent staff member to have. I will definitely be returning.

Stayed November 2012
AhmedBenkirane, Directeur d'hôtel at Sofitel Marrakech Palais Imperial, responded to this review, 20 November 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing Sofitel Marrakech Palais Impérial on your visit to Marrakech. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your time during your stay. We also thank you for the positive review of our hotel. We share all the feedback with the management and staff and such feedbacks help in staff motivation and recognition.

We hope to see you again on your next visit to Marrakech.

M. Ahmed BENKIRANE

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
Uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2012

The frontage and foyer to this hotel, aptly named as the Imperial Palace, are both stunning and I got a thrill from walking in and out every day. The check-in was a little slow and I wasn't given clear directions to my room which meant I quickly got lost but at least this gave me a chance to appreciate the immense size of this place. The location of the hotel is excellent too - only 8 minutes bus ride from the Airport (when arriving) as the driver dropped me off before the fountain at Bab J'did. A single bus fare costs 30dh (about £2.10) but Airport Transfers are available from the hotel for €25. This would save the elderly, infirm or precious rich people from walking with their suitcases for 5 minutes.
My room was at the budget end of the scale and, although a little dated in decor, was adequate for my needs. There wasn't much light in the evening, unfortunately, and the lamps were fixtures which were not conducive to reading or popping in my suitcase. Also my room faced the very noisy nightclub opposite (the Jad Mahal?). It was extremely noisy at night, particular Sat night/Sun morning when at 5am there was a feeding frenzy of taxis all vying for drunk passengers.
The pool areas were lovely with plenty of towels and places to lounge. Service and food in the Orangerie were both very good and I didn't realise that there was a terrace there which was unfortunately fully booked the night I chose to eat in, You could find better/cheaper dining options but this was convenient for me on one night. I didn't opt for breakfast (240dh/££17) as Extrablatt (from 39dh) was ideal for my requirements. It is less than 5 minutes walk away and is excellent. The gym is adequate but the spa treatments way over priced. 1,000 Dh for 50 mins massage? The average WEEKLY wage in Morocco is only 750Dh......think about it.

Room Tip: For peace and quiet choose a room away from the street side.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012

We booked luxury rooms with pool/garden view. On arrival were put in small, much inferior rooms where we would have remained had I not complained. Room 1 smelt of sewage & was very noisy ( due to patio doors not closing). Second rooms satisfactory but TV in son's room was broken & not repaired/replaced despite 2 requests. Reception staff unhelpful & evasive, with poor command of English. Five star prices but extremely weak customer services. There is plentiful luxury accommodation in Marrakech, so stay somewhere else.

1 Thank TheRigby
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2012

We went to stay in the Sofitel Imperial as it was a cheaper alternative to other hotels we had stayed at such as La Mamounia. We had booked in the Imperial rather than the Lounge as it seemed more modern, from a recent renovation, and thus had a slightly higher price. We had booked two rooms, one with two beds in it however were pleased to be presented with two upgrades to junior suites. The suites were quite small, compared to other leading 5 star resorts it was not as luxurious as expected and it turned out that the room didn't have two beds, and it could not be arranged either. The rooms took well over the allotted time to be ready with its cleaning and we ended up being admitted to the rooms over 2 hours after the reception had promised - be careful with them. We tried to change one of the rooms into the original two beds standard room only to find that they had already rented out our allotted rooms leaving us with no choice but to stay in the junior suites. The suites were quite small, and the TV and other electronics were basic and suggested that they only wanted us to be in the room for sleeping. The decor of the hotel was wonderful, and the pool was also, the decor of the rooms was dark, miserable and quite frankly terrible. The room had a very dark feel with very little light for the night time as well as natural day time light however the balcony was satisfactory. The restaurants were average, however not worth the price - one can find much better food elsewhere in Marrakech. The pool area was nice, the pool if not a touch cold. The hotel was situated in very small grounds, and everyday we had to take a taxi ride away to play either golf or tennis, of which we did in the new and quite incredible (however for us fully booked with a corporate event) 4 Seasons. Overall it seemed a good financial choice with lots of places within reach, however presented itself with quite a few problems later on. The service was generally good, however many tend to ignore you and wonder around the hotel on their breaks smoking. Speaking French IS A MUST at this hotel!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room facing the Atlas mountains!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank ehtravelabroad
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2012 via mobile

I stayed 10 nights in the Sofitel Marrakech and I am more than pleased.

First of all the staff is very friendly, helpful and efficient, guest relation personnel are always attentive and check on the guest if they have any issue and how well they enjoy the stay

Location of the hotel is excellent as its 10 min walk from the medina and Jama El Fna square yes it's area is very modern and elegant

Facilities are great specially the two big swimming pools in the beautiful gardens

Breakfast is really good with big buffet with so many things to choose from

It was my first trip to Marrakech and part why I love the city now is this hotel

1 Thank ABSI-G
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2012

We had a slight issue with our room when we first arrived, but the General Manager Hamed and his team did all that they could to resolve the issue which they accomplished and I can now see that Sofitel Marrakech is worthy of all of the great reviews that it gets.
There are some excellent staff from Fatima who serviced our room and made a real effort for my wife's birthday to the concierge who booked us into some fantastic restaurants from traditional Moroccan (Palais Solemain) to modern Buddah Bar type restaurants (Bo Zin & Lotus Club).
The team at Sofitel put on a welcome night on Monday night and it was a great way to meet the staff and other guests in a friendly, informal atmosphere. One of the managers Yassin sang a few songs and it is worth going just to hear that; he was excellent!!
The pool staff (particularly Jumal the life guard) were all very helpful and could not do enough to make your stay comfortable.
School boy French is definitely beneficial because many staff and locals do not have a great command of English. We had a fantastic horse and carriage ride who took us to all of the local sights and it was a fabulous experience.

1 Thank PaulyC1966
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2012

Smiley faces every where you go inside the hotel. This morning I had my breakfast in the garden next to restaurant. The sun was as warm as the hospitality I had from Abderrahim and Morad, waiters in the restaurant. After I had the breakfast Abderrahim suggested to prepare vervin tea fresh leaves from the garden. They made my day!!