“Recommendation”

Ranked #111 of 494 Hotels in Marrakech
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Recommendation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2012

Staying at Sifitel was a superb experience in Marrakesh. The staff are so helpfull and SMILING all the time, this is a really best way to start your day. Big recommendation to Fatima Zahra, Ibrahim, Rachida, Ilham, Said, Abderrahim, Zidan.
For their dedication, help, and service.
I will come back again!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
AhmedBenkirane, General Manager at Sofitel Marrakech Palais Imperial, responded to this review, 26 December 2012
Dear guest,

We are delighted to hear you had a wonderful stay with us at Sofitel Marrakech Palais Impérial. It was nice to hear that my staff exceeded your expectations. They work exceptionally hard to make sure that every gust feels special. Thank you so much for staying with us.

We hope to see you in near future.

M.Ahmed BENKIRANE

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2012

English

Spanish

Arabic

We recently stayed on the occasion of PURE Life Experiences hospitality and travel show. Our room was number 067 which requires urgent remodeling, because the room is big but the rest room and especially the toilet area is very small, it is difficult to enter.
Otherwise the hotel has excellent service and a wonderful breakfast buffet. We wish to thank Abdelilah, Salah, Aziza, El Mehdi, Ilyas, Akhalich Youssef, Mourad and Ilarh for making our stay exceptional.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment about your experience during PURE LIFE EXPERIENCES at Sofitel Marrakech Palais Impérial we are delighted to read that you appreciated the service, the food and the Staff.

We hope to see you again soon at the Sofitel Marrakech Palais Impérial.

London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2012

Dear Sofitel Marrakech,

I am writing regarding an almost comical string of mistakes and mismanagement that very nearly led to my recent holiday at the Marrakech Sofitel Palais Imperial becoming a disaster, and certainly left me with a poor impression of your hotel. I would like to ask for compensation, as described over the course of this email.

This email has been sent to Sofitel Marrakech front desk, Sofitel Marrakech reservations, and Sofitel head office and also posted to tripadvisor. Please cc each other in any response – the first response I receive will be posted to tripadvisor.

1) Booking: We attempted to make a corporate booking through your reservations desk, Meriem was dealing with our request. The whole process was a disaster – entire strings of emails went unanswered for 3 ½ weeks, in the end in desperation we gave up and decided to book directly through the Accor hotels website. It transpired the ‘corporate rate’ Meriem had secured us (or would have, if she ever answered phone or email) was in fact substantially more expensive than your standard rate. We booked online. I booked a superior room with mountain view for myself and my travelling companion.
2) Upgrade: We complained and Meriem offered us an upgrade to a junior suite by way of apology. I booked and prepaid for airport transfer for 600Dhiram each way through Meriem. Two days before our trip we reconfirmed that the upgrade had been put in place. We flew to Marrakech.
3) Arrival: We arrive at Sofitel Marrakech. Check-in is slow but eventually (after being given another guest’s checkin forms, including their credit card number, name and address), we are checked in. I am given the key to room 277. I go up. It is a small double room, the carpet is peeling from the floor, there are brown stains on the bathrobes, the view is of the carpark, the windows don’t close properly so the noise from the adjacent road is deafening, and there is a strong smell of damp.
4) Complaining: We come down to complain that the upgrade hasn’t been applied to our room, and could we please move to a Junior Suite. ‘But you have been upgraded to a mountain view room’ comes the reply. I say that in the first instance my upgrade should be to a Junior Suite, and in the second instance my room overlooks the carpark, when in any case I already paid extra for a mountain view. ‘No, you paid for a standard room – we upgraded you to a mountain view’. I show my original booking confirmation, for a mountain view room – the reply is ‘it doesn’t matter what it says on your confirmation – on our paperwork it says we upgraded you to a mountain view room’. I show the email confirming our upgrade to a suite ‘we have no suites available’. We ask to speak to a manager. Surprisingly, there isn’t one. The receptionist, whose name I think was Othoman, was rude, both in the content and tone of his speech. The best we get is a promise that the hotel will move us the next day, and refund us for the first night’s stay.
5) Complaining again. The next morning, Saad (at reception) is very helpful – we will be moved by midday and at the time we will be told what our compensation will be – he agrees we should get the first night’s stay for free, and some free spa treatments, but he needs to confirm first with his manager. In the end, we move rooms at 4pm (hotel ‘systems’ were down so he couldn’t expedite room service to prepare the suite), still not confirmation of our compensation, as ‘the manager is still in lunch’. The next day, by the way, we are again three times promised confirmation of the compensation, which again and again fails to materialise – Saad is unable to reach his manager (here, a plea – I think Saad was the one person during our entire stay who attempted to help us, and I don’t want him to get into any trouble). Still, at time of writing, I have no idea if you intend to compensate as agreed. In fairness, the junior suite is delightful, well maintained, and has a view of the mountains.
6) Insult to Injury: 5pm, and hour after we have checked in to our room. I have just showered, and am lying naked on the bed. My travelling companion is in the bathroom. The door opens (no knock) and two other guests enter. I wrap the sheet around myself and find out they have just been checked in – to my new room. They leave, embarrassed. I too am left embarrassed.
7) Departure. I have prepaid airport transfer for 1200 Dirham in total to and from the hotel for my group. On my checkout bill is 250 Dihram for transfer from the airport, and 350 Dihram for transfer from the airport. I am in a hurry not to miss my flight, but it takes 20 minutes of showing my email confirmations and receipts to the receptionist before he begrudgingly agrees to remove it from my bill. I am left perplexed as to why you charged me double the price as an advance booking that I would have paid at the hotel. The receptionist says he will get the concierge to meet me outside the hotel and show me to my car. 10 minutes later, I go directly to the concierge and ask if my car is outside, as he has yet to come to meet us. ‘have you paid?’ he asks. Yes, I say, and lead him to the receptionist who helped me. The concierge takes another 20 minutes to be convinced that I may in fact be allowed to board the car I paid for. Incidentally, the journey to the airport takes about 5 minutes. I prebooked the transfer to avoid being ripped off by unscrupulous taxi drivers. I believe a taxi would have cost 50-100 Dirham each way, perhaps one tenth what you charged me, and then attempted to charge me again. I nearly miss my flight as a result of the delays at checkout.

I would like to know post haste how you intend to compensate me for the terrible service we received from initial reservation request to our departure.

I am taking an unusual step in posting this email to Tripadvisor – you can see the link here, in an attempt to expedite your response. To allow you the opportunity to redeem yourself in the eyes of the public as well as my own, I will post your reply to this email to Tripadvisor as well.

Room Tip: god help you
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank JK-foodie
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and taking time to post your comments.

We reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at Sofitel Marrakech Palais Imperial. We do take all comments seriously and really appreciate in details all the feedback we can get. We really apologise for the misunderstanding with problems you had encountered.
Your comment is very important to us and we will make sure to share it with our teams.
Again, thank you for the comments which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.

Sincerely.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2012

The negatives experienced in this hotel are pretty horrific, yet there are several positives that mean you can't eliminate the possibly that one day it might work. The issues i experienced in staying at this hotel for 14 hours were;
1. Blood on my bedsheets that was from an unknown source. Not enough to suggest a prior murder, but too much to ignore even though it was not a full moon.
2. My pressing was 20 mins late in being delivered despite the Laundry Dept having 12 hours to press one suit and one business shirt.
3. The breakfast buffet was a meeting point for all the local flies.
4. No-one answers the phone.

The positives;
1. They corrected point 1 very quickly.
2. Some of the staff are excellent. Especially on the Front Desk, although they don't seem to waste time to answer the phone. And the team in the flyzone breakfast restaurant try hard.
3. The fountain outside.

Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Qianloong
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and taking time to post your comments. We inform you that the bedsheets are changed every day. We are pleased to read that the misunderstanding over your bedsheets, was resolved and hope that it did not impact your stay and the possibility of returning back to Sofitel Marrakech Palais Impérial.

Thank you again for your comments.

britsol
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2012

Having read the comments here prior to travelling, I was not quite sure what to expect; opinions seemed to vary considerably. Let's be clear this is a quality hotel - excellent facilities, lovely ambiance, very good and spacious rooms and well above average food. However, the service was most diappointing. Check in and out was laboured; I'm sorry but I don't want to sit in a foyer for half an hour after a long and tiring journey with lots of apparently busy staff rushing around with seemingly little purpose. The service in the restaurants was seriouly poor. Don't misunderstand me; there were plenty of reasonably polite staff around who were either in animated discussion with another member of staff or doing I simply know not what - not serving us for sure! I really don't expect to have to wait 15 minutes for a pot of coffee and asking for it several times. Perversely, on our last morning there was a head waiter to greet us at breakfast and, within a very few minutes, our party had everything we wanted. Wow! What a difference! I will conclude these remarks by saying that with a few notable exceptions, the staff lacked warmth.

This is an excellent hotel in many many respects but speaking for myself, I would forgo some quality for quicker, more efficient and friendlier service. Good management could put my criticisms right in a few weeks

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank pip1945
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and taking time to post your comments.

We reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at Sofitel Marrakech Palais Impérial. We do take all comments seriously and really appreciate in details all the feedback we can get. We really apologise for the misunderstanding with problems you had encountered.

Sincerely.

M.Ahmed Benkirane
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

This is a review on behalf of my parents. It's the second time we have sent them to the Sofitel Palais in Marrakech and they can't wait for the third!! The rooms are fantastic, as is the pool, but they really loved the attentive service. They wanted me to mention Raschida at breakfast, Mokhtar at the pool and Jihanne at customer relations, as well as all the friendly reception staff who made their trip so wonderful.
They're completely computer illiterate, but they wanted to make sure all people who'd help to make their holiday so brilliant got a special mention.
Now I've just got to start saving to send them back next year!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment about your experience and for choosing Sofitel Marrakech Palais Impérial. We are happy to know that your parents enjoyed their time during their stay. We also thank you for the positive review of our hotel. We share all the feedback with the management and staff and such feedbacks help in staff motivation and recognition.
We hope to see them again for their next visit to Marrakech.

Amman, Jordan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

our holiday was 4nights in this extremely nice hotel, then 3 nights sofitel casa blanca,then 5 nights sofitel Algazirah cairo (we will review each). we are two senior medical consultants and enjoy travelling.our stay coinsided with a muslim holidays and the hotel was completely full.on arrival at reception .we were invited to satdown enjoy refreshing drinks and sweeties while a receptionest finished the paper work and accompanied us to our room .hotel entrance and reception hall is stunning beautiful ,decorated in a morocoo style.our room was large enough looking at the magnifesant Atlas mountains(we booked it that way )modern T.V,with facility to make tea &coffe.bed&linen new,fresh very comfortable.breakfast(stronly recommend to be included)was an experience by it self .you can have it in the big beautifully furnished hall or the adjoining patio surounded by climbing flowers and sleepy sun,or in adjoining garden with 8 small plants basin each with different type &smell and around 20 other single plant .when we noticed there is no flies or mosquitos atall that is because they use one of these plants to repel fies.the buffet was very rich delecios with fresh baked morocoo sweetyat the patios.it was a busy so wesaw all hotel staff from the general maneger his many assistances is giving hands chating with guests, arranging new tables ,carrying chairs as one team with waiters.swiming pools &fountains sunbath lounge large excelent setup.we didnot try the spa because there was a lot to do &see in marrakesh but the services at the pools,caffe,T.V &Library hall excelent attendants quick with a smile and care.my wife bought few dresses &items from the hotel shops,the prices was reasonable shops staff helped us with theV.A.T forms which we cashed easily at the airport.wehave to thank every singleone in the hotel staff.Antoine the resident maneger whom we met at breakfast,at noon,evening,late at night .when did he have time to rest?Essam at the reception when i forget my handbag with its passports,cash money,credit cards until i came back asking for it anhour later,Sarra P.R manager for her care....LA MAMOUNIA was our first choice(we walked there for an afternoon morocoo tea which wasexcetionally nice)but the hotel was fully booked.we didnot regret our second choice it was unique experiene

Room Tip: pay the little extra and stay in a room overlooking the Atlas mountains,pool ,garden you will not r...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
AhmedBenkirane, Directeur d'hôtel at Sofitel Marrakech Palais Imperial, responded to this review, 20 November 2012
Dear guest,

We hope to see you in near future.