“Not a good first impression”
Review of Riad & Spa Mabrouk

Riad & Spa Mabrouk
Reviewed 16 May 2013

This was one of the more expensive places in Marrakesh and to be honest we were not won over. when we arrived the room we booked was not available until the next day and we ended up staying in a lesser priced room without compensation. We ate in the hotel and the food we had was cold and under cooked, even though i sent it back and ate from my partners meal they still tried to charge for the dish we sent back. The breakfast was the same every day, despite this you will still be given a menu even though there is only one choice. When we did get the room we wanted the cleaning staff would take our towels and robes and not return them until the evening, if at all. Good points were location, very close to the market square, although if you get an outer room it can be very noisy until the early hours. Also when we did complain which was often the staff were somewhat helpful.
Would not go back again, especially considering the price!

Room Tip: the best rooms here are the suites as they are quieter, but do try and get them on discount!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 April 2013

After a lovely week travelling through Morocco, my tour group headed back to Marrakech for our last night before splitting ways. We arrived at the Mabrouk, took our belongings to our individual rooms then gathered in reception for a tea and a catch up. In this short space of time our budding photographer of the group had her SLR camera, lenses, ipad and iphone stolen from her locked hotel room. It was a horrible disappointment to find the staff and manager immediately accused her of lying about having the belongings in the first place even when security footage proved otherwise. They accused us, her friends for stealing them and put on a huge show of defensive yelling. 'Conveniently' there weren't any security cameras outside her room and we were held hostage in the hotel waiting for the police to arrive so that our groups rooms could be searched. It was clearly an inside job as the room was unlocked and then re-locked after the goods were stolen so there was no way anybody who wasn't staff could get in. The policemen who came merely laughed and accused the poor girl that she stupidly must have misplaced her valuables. Her valuables were not recovered, it was almost impossible for her to get a police report from them and then they insisted to take her (a young, single, english speaking girl) off to the police station alone. Dodgy. The staff quickly went from being happy and hospitable to rude and dismissive of our entire group, we were all feeling very uneasy and unsafe knowing that we had to spend another night in the Riad. An extremely horrible way to end our holiday in Morocco.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank Amanda G
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Don't stay here! My valuables were stolen from my locked hotel room, while I was in reception with my tour group. It's very obvious that this was an inside job - there is no other way anyone could get into the room without a key. And it happened in the short 30 mins we were all convening in the reception area.

The hotel staff were nasty, unreasonable and insulting. I've never been treated with such disrespect whilst travelling. They insisted initially that I hadn't brought my camera, ipad etc with me, then they continued to push the idea that one of my friends had stolen my things (even though they were all with me at the time - and didn't have a room key!). They then tried to convince me that I hadn't locked my room - even though I had a witness. The unfolding drama continued for hours and hours and throughout the police interview. There was no apology from staff and their bad attitude only made the situation worse. The staff raised their voices and laughed at me when I persisted in my complaints. When I threatened to give them a bad review, the manageress responded with "Write 100 bad reviews, I don't care!" That says it all doesn't it.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favour and look elsewhere
Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank SeasoneTraveller75
Reviewed 2 April 2013

We stayed here in March based upon recommendations from trip advisor, and am left wondering whether people really stayed there? Stayed in one room, but no hot water. Reception staff seemed put off by the fact that we asked for hot water and promised to get it fixed. After several hours, we kept asking and was told that we could shower in another room. Okay. Battery in fire alarm needed changing, it ticked every minute for the seven hours we slept. That is about 2200 ticks...
The next day when we questioned about the shower, they gave us a suite instead. Both rooms look worn and tired.
Towels took multiple requests and it showed every one of the 800 thread count, as each thread was loose. The bathroom smelled. When we checked out, we mentioned the smell, and reception smiled and said, "yes, it does". Better places to stay. Breakfast, I ordered a coffee, so I got one as well as my wife. Feeling concerned that she could not order.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Do not stay here, unless you want to have your belongings stolen from your room by the staff. We were a group staying there for one night. One girls camera, ipad and iphone were all stolen from her room and the door was locked so it was obviously a staff member. When we spoke with the manager to say what happened, they reacted very defensively and were shouting at us. We insisted that the police come, which happened but the police guy seemed completely lacking in interest. Basically the hotel managers (one woman and one man) and the police tried to say that it must have been one of her group. Then we all left a different times during the next day. I didn't get to see the girl whose stuff had been stolen the next morning, so before I left for the airport I asked the manager at the hotel if my friend's stuff had been found and she said, with her other manager, that the stuff had been found and that they were really rude saying to me and she said that she must have done it for the insurance. I was very sceptical but I was hoping that the girl did leave with her stuff, but no, when I eventually got the message to her to check if she had her stuff, she said she didn't. So they were complete liars as well as thieves. Its such a pity we ended with this awful experience at this hotel. As we didn't trust that the police who came was genuine, I went to the tourist police to report this, and they said that the Mabrouk was not a good place. I have never had any bad experience in Morocco before and I have been a few times, so this was really not the norm. Awful. There are so many lovely places to stay in Marakkesh with kind and honest people, but the Mabrouk was the complete opposite.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 March 2013

We stayed at the Riad AND SPA Mabrouk for 3 nights early March and like other reviewers were impressed by our room, the beautiful courtyard( covered when wet) ,the overall standard of cleanliness , the excellent inhouse hamman/massage and especially by the central location near the main square and on a wide pedestrian road . This felt fairly safe( but beware young children seeking money or selling stuff in groups - they go up and down the road and may surround the unwary.) Food was safe and tasty though breakfast limited to plate of breads/pancakes/omelette.Harira lentil/chickpea soup) was excellent for lunch.Good local wines.Service sometimes haphazard when we observed other tables being given wrong dishes, tables not always fully equipped etc but we were never hurried. Good local guitar /drum duo played traditional music all evening and added atmosphere.Smoking allowed everywhere which could be a bit irritating.
When we arrived reception didn't have a map and the receptionist seemed uninterested so I bought one nearby (titled Marrrakesh Evasions - certainly turned out to be evasive!)). The only Riad Mabrouk marked was to the south east.Reading some other reviews from other websites they were evidently referring to the 'other' Mabrouk which had no hamman, etc.On websites make sure you look for the address Rue Bani Marine and the SPA part of the name! Lonely Planet guide( v good) has correct location on their (small) maps.NB spelling may have an extra 'a' ie Mabrouk/Mabrouka .
Take a compass( may be one on your smartphone) - useful in the narrow streets.Allow around 3 hours at airport on return - endless queues for security check.
Euros widely accepted and easy to estimate as 1E to 10Dirham. USD also OK ( 1 USD note good for tips). Currency exchange right next to hotel front bar and part of hotel. Pre-ordered taxi was E20.
Visit to the Ensemble Artisanale handicraft centre ( communal market) was much more peaceful than the persistent haranguing of gift sellers and seemed good quality.
Overall a fascinating first visit to Morocco.

Room Tip: We had a suite(Hania Suite) - more space, quiet, first floor. Originally booked Massouda Suite but...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2013

I stayed in the hotel 3 times now and every time .....it has been truly an amazing experience....i would recommend this over and over for the service and the the comfort.....rooms are beautiful and very clean... a hotel which makes your holiday a bit more exciting then just a place to stay..and for a very reasonable price.....5starts for everything.... thank you :) . Shak

Room Tip: It is in centre of the town easy access to shop and transport both.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
R-SPA-Mabrouk, Responsable réception at Riad & Spa Mabrouk, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

I hope your return home was pleasant and that the warmth of the Marrakesh's sun will be in your hearts forever.
The team of Riad SACR and my self thank you for your trust. We have enjoyed your company very much and we all hope to welcome you again very soon.
With my best wishes for your future,