“A mixed bag so please read”

Marrakech Ryads Parc & Spa
Ranked #238 of 501 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We have just returned 14/04/14 from a 10 night trip, party of 7 in two rooms. I have read a lot of the reviews below and I have to say a lot are unjustified-the food is spicy, music is loud, not enough English speaking staff- you are going to a foreign country and you should remember this, they speak French/Arabic and to be fair I spoke to a LOT of the staff and they could understand my English very well although I would be happy to learn basic language/have a translator app so I could make the effort to fit in to another country.
OK, here is my opinion. The foyer is lovely, very big and very welcome view on arrival, the manager Ahmed and his team are all friendly, Rafik (bellhop/head doorman?) is a lovely man and he deserved his tip as he could not do enough for us to make sure we enjoyed out stay.
The rooms are a good size, air con works well, plenty of storage space for clothes, the bathrooms are good, and overall the staff do very well do keep the whole place very clean, I saw ZERO cockroaches so if thy had them then they have done great job making sure they have not returned.
The food- some food choices are recycled maybe sometimes within 2-3 days but the choice on the whole is very good- for me being a meat lover, I had so much that by day 6-7 I ended up wanting to eat more lentils/pulses and this was because I enjoyed all of the food - us one of the local dishes ARE spicy but they are making local recipes so be prepared for this. Whilst we were there on the weekend they did an offer for locals so stay so they had approx 400 people staying which did result in having to wait longer for food/plates/cutlery, but the kitchen staff did all they could to keep people happy, one thing that the management need to consider for future bookings. The Pool - I do not swim but spent a few of the very hot days by the pool and have to say it was very very nice, lots of spaces, 2 good size pools with a third baby pool and the music is loud but not deafening, again they did play local/Arabic music but some of it was very nice and they do play European/pop music so plenty of choice - take your own music if you don't want to listen- plenty of other people did. Plenty of things to do on site, kids club, aerobics, salsa, pin pong, basketball, tennis, football, the on site spa staff are vey nice and do a good job, only found out by default that on our all inclusive we had a complementary massage which I very much enjoyed but don't expect it to be the best you have ever had.
For me the most fun to be had is in the markets as I love a bargain so haggling is great, it is not cutthroat and no fisticuffs needed, my tip is whatever price they give you offer them 1/3rd of that and see how you go I picked up a few bits and loved the experience. The locals do not get offended unless you are being unrealistic so please remember they are trying to make a bit of profit but 99% are not out to rip you off. Avoid eye contact with beggars, if you give to one then another 10 will turn up out of the blue, I would say make sure you go into town at night time as they square is packed and the sights/sounds/smells are amazing. Take a horse coach ride around if you have time, it is fun and you will like it, wake sure you can put up with the smell of horse poo especially if it is a hot time you are travelling as it does reek, but then again remember they are horse and horse need to have a number two very now and then. Drink bottled water, some nice little ice cream places, I would recommend trying them out and all over the food/drink is not expensive- avoid going off the main roads, you end up paying some people to take you back to the square.
For trips make sure you take the YSL garden tour, museum, Bahia palace, and go to Ozoud to see the 100 metre waterfall, I have a fear of heights yet found myself taking so many pics and videos, wear grippy shoes as you have to walk down and then up again and some of the paths are slippery. no heels ladies- the only downside on this is the journey from hotel which was almost 3 hours each way although the coach is air conditioned and Noor the driver is very friendly and keeps you entertained.

my son is 11 but did not use/ get involved in kids club but ALL of the entertainment team are excellent, they greet you daily and area always around to help out.

Now the negatives- we had 3 lights in our room which did not work, took them till day 8 to change them after 3 requests. If you are on all inclusive the pool bar is NOT INCLUDED FOR FOOD from midday till closing time who is so strange and annoying if you want a pizza/chips. queues for breakfast/lunch/dinner can take a hill of busy season so be prepared for this.

AT THE END OF YOUR STAY YOU WILL BE ASKED TO PAY APPROX €3 per person PER DAY of your stay so please remember this just in case this is not a scam.

WiFi is restricted to the Foyer ONLY, can be a pain as connection can be hit/miss if lots of people trying to use it at the same time- manager you need to spend a bit of money and get this looked at.

I would go again to this lovely country but I would NOT stay here again not because they are not good, more so because other locations closer to the centre rank a lot higher and offer more facilities/choices of things to see and do.

Room Tip: If you have (young) kids ask for a lower floor and not too close to the pool if kids want to sleep d...
11  Thank Balchauhan1

Reviewed 10 April 2014

The setting is truly spectacular with the Atlas mountains as the backdrop covered in snow at the top. The room was clean and comfortable with a great view over the pool area. Reception area only place where could get internet access but it was such a grand place to sit and sip your Gin & Tonic!! Majority of staff very friendly but as two females (mother & daughter) we did attract more attention than we wanted at times! Could do with being able to change currency or withdraw currency at reception rather than having to go into Marrakech which would be around a 2 hour excursion.
Food was fantastic with an enormous selection every day. We went fully inclusive which was great and saved worrying about the cost of everything - snacks at pool bar are extra though! Would have been nice to have had some help regarding trip to the Medina and Souk - you really do need to hire a guide as it is a labyrinth - not as cheap either!

Room Tip: Ask for one where the balcony will get the afternoon/evening sun
1  Thank Gill J
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Just got back yesterday. It's one of the best places I have stayed. The staff were the best,so friendly and happy all the time could not fault them. It was sad to actually leave.
Hotel was so nice with the view of the atlas mountain. Please don't be put off by other comments about it being horrible.iv always said I wouldn't go back to the same place twice, I'm defiantly going back this year.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Great food, great staff, AMAZING grounds, beautiful pools, cool bars, stylish rooms, large bathroom, excellent service all round!
Spotlessly clean, friendly staff from reception to chambermaid, chef to Animation :)
Wifi only in reception, but what a reception! Huge soft sofas and great decor!
Bus to town takes about 25 mins but very efficient and Marrakech itself is huge fun, noisy, busy & bustling Old Town and then Uber trendy new town - take your pick!
The grounds are immaculate - divine gardens & song birds everywhere, paradise in the desert!
The staff here were so wonderful, I was really sad to say goodbye :(
I would recommend this hotel 100% and I am looking forward to returning with my family soon!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank MillieBee
Reviewed 3 April 2014

we had a wonderful weekend in this hotel...the animation staff were really friendly especially Mehdi said..
my special thanks go also to Malik from the reservation and samira.
my best regards go to Hajib for her kindness and hospitality...
the restaurant and the reception, the SPA were too nice, really it is a space of peace and tranquility for an unforgettable holiday.
looking forwards to my next visit.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

couple of days before arriving, I sent an email to the hotel to book transportation from the airport to the hotel. They requested our flight number which I sent. Still, when we arrived, we had to wait 15 minutes before the driver showed up at the airport. The hotel is located approx. 30 minutes from the airport (20 min from the city). When we checked in at the hotel, they had no record of our booking, but gave us a room. I had to meet with the manager later on to explain our booking. We booked our stay trough Norwegian Holidays.

The room quality was poor and the cleaning was insufficient.
There was a big gap in the door to the balcony, which was impossible to close and a lot of ants right outside the doors.
After a few days, the hot water suddenly disappeared. This also happened to guests in other apartments. At this time, there were not many guests staying at the hotel, and it appears that the hotel had closed of the hot water supply to some apartments. We had to change room. At our new room, there was no gap in the balcony door, but it was impossible to close and lock properly! Also the cooler did not work.

The breakfast at the hotel was quite simple and tasteless. The only plus was some French pastries, when it wasn't eaten before we got to breakfast.
On the other hand, the outside pool area and the snack bar were quite nice. But beware of the pizza «Margherita»! Some days it includes anchovies.

There is also an extra tourist fee, cleaning fee and a safe-deposit box fee.
Only wifi in the reception area, quite unstable.
Not the experience I expected from a "four-star" hotel!

Not satisfied!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sondre Å
Reviewed 11 March 2014

WHERE DO I START
-birds in restaurant YUCK
-no variety of food
-bad service
-and as for all inclusive, what a joke, cocktails, what cocktails!!!
-wi-fi in one particular area, not all of hotel
-poor shuttle bus service
-nobody speaks English

Room Tip: Don't choose this hotel!!!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends