“Good Value . . . . . . difficult to find location!”
Review of Riad Karim

Riad Karim
Ranked #163 of 289 Speciality Lodging in Marrakech
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Good Value . . . . . . difficult to find location!”
Reviewed 3 June 2011

Riad Karim is a small riad situated in the heart of the old Kasbah . It is very difficult to find our taxi from the airport left us vaguely near it as the roads were too narrow for a car! We spent a while looking for it and then had a pay some local children to guide us to it. We would of never found it on our own. Not a good idea to arrive after dark.
The riad has four small rooms each with an ensuite 3 upstairs and the fourth on the ground floor next to the breakfast area and was clean and tidy. Breakfast consisted of juice, coffee, bread and jams. The person in charge leaves in the afternoon and returns in the morning .A pleasant young lady. You are there on your own during the night. It's daunting outside with the local community hanging around and we being two females on our own felt uncomfortable with this when returning in the evening after a days sightseeing. It's a 15 minute walk to the souks and main square. You are not staying in a tourist location but the local area of the kasbah inhabitants. To see the real Marrakech go there !

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room !
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank wanderlust195216

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2011

Upon arrival outside this quaint little Riad, my girlfriend and I were quite shocked at the surroundings having never visited anywhere quite like this, despite being well travelled. The busy market 'streets' outside were quite daunting but upon entry into Riad Karim we felt a million miles away from the outside goings on.

The rooms are small and basic but delightfully decorated and clean. They are turned down each day to a high standard as you would expect in any hotel/B&B. The bathroom had 'local' style fittings and wasn't modern as such, but was perfect for the short stay we had there.

Breakfast was served each morning and consisted of local pancakes/potato cakes with a range of conserves with coffee and mint tea. I couldn't wait for this each morning to be honest and it was great considering the price I paid for the room.

Service was cheerful and we left this area feeling quite at home, something we never thought possible on first sight!

The only reason I gave this place a 3 for location is that it is a 15/20min walk south of the main square and does require a slalom through a local market. Once you're used to it though it becomes rather enjoyable!

I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone - get stuck in!

Re: The 'rip off' arrival charge mentioned below, it's a Moroccan givernment tax payable at any residence in the city and is a set percentage of the rate you pay per room/per night...this is probably one of the cheaper places to pay it so don't let that put you off!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dslk1
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 25 January 2011

The right place for a relaxing trip...The service was prompt and discret, The staff was extremely attentive and eager to assist you. Rooms are very confy...We had a wonderful Experience. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
atlanta
Reviewed 24 January 2011

My wife and I went there for my fifth year annversary and we both agreed that this was the most wonderful, memorable vacation we've ever had. the hotel is nothing short of everything you would expect. Our hostess treated us like royalty, and the entire experience was amazing. If you have a special occasion or just want to indulge yourself, this is it. Bottom line Riad Karim is truly a sense of style, class,and elegance with a touch of a warm moroccan hospitality.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Finlande
Reviewed 20 January 2011

Calm and Beautiful place, Near by the Royal Castle in the heart of the city... Nice people and charming hosting services. I like the food and specialties from the city :) Definitely recommended place for vacations... Prices are reasonable and include Bfeast....<3...
I will be back when it is possible.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 9 January 2011

After first paying over £300 online for 6 night reservation I was asked for immediately after i arrived to pay an additional £30 deposit. The rooms are tiny so dont plan on booking here if you want to spend time in your hotel. The breakfast consists of some tea/coffee, dry pancakes and jam. I only managed to have two showers as the water mostly ran cold which was very frustrating. There will be nobody in the riad to help between the ours of 5pm to 7am. The riad is pretty inside but the journey through the traditional alleyways can be daunting and frightening, especially if your a lady as the streets will be dark, narrow and full of market traders at day and teenage boys smoking drugs by night. This constant hashish smoking was taking place right at the front steps of the riad. According to the online booking I had a free transfer from the airport included with the price but was then asked to pay a whopping £30 once I arrived. I mentioned that this was supposed to be free but the hotel maid explained that she cant answer for the site I booked through and I need to pay as thats the rules. To make matters worse the deposit I paid when I checked in was now kept as it was "tax". I was very disappointed as this money was needed for the transfer back to the airport. WONT STAY HERE AGAIN!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple