“God value for money”

Zalagh Kasbah Hotel and Spa
Ranked #464 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Stayed on a special offer have always stayedin a riad previously. Whilst I prefer staying closer this hotel was lovely with great service. There was a mix up when we arrived that was quickly resolved with no fuss. The breakfast was nice and we had half board option (only because it was part of deal) and used the option a couple of times for lunch which was nice although not much choice. Always ate out in town in the evening. The pool area is lovely and was quiet whilst we were there. Towels provided & the pool man quick with towels and clean, dry towels after you have used the pool ( which was apparently freezing - not brave enough myself!!!) We had a pool view room which according to other reviewers was better did not need to upgrade to this as we were automatically in one. Perhaps because it was quiet. One thing to note the door did not lock very well - push to check was all that it needed. Often needed to slam the door to ensure it was locked. There are safes in the room though. The shuttle bus is useful but too infrequent to be if real value and we only used it a couple of times - disappointingly running at 10am the not until 13:30. Only about 50 diarhams in a taxi into the square and much more of a unique Marrakech experience.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank LancashireLass10_10

Reviewed 17 March 2012

We recently stayed at the hotel on a Gumtree deal and was not disappointed. The hotel is very welcoming, the rooms spacious and clean and all the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was the usual continental buffet arrangement and was nothing special but adequate. We were on a half board basis and was allowed to opt for lunch instead of an evening meal which allowed us time to visit the centre of Marrakesh and dine out there. There is a shuttle bus service to the town centre which is on a "first come first served basis so make sure you get there early to secure your seat. Overall an excellent hotel - would definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank murphypickle
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Hotel is brilliant, service was excellent except once when tried to get room service. Hotel is located quite far from central Marrakech, but shuttle service is real asset, but could be more frequently. We had a room with pool view- beautiful. Highly recommend and would def use it again.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 4 March 2012

This is a very nice, new property on the outskirts of Marrakech, with beautiful rooms and a beautiful pool. Meals were very nice - we had the buffet at breakfast as well as a buffet at dinner for our group. The staff were very nice and helpful.

There is an hourly shuttle in to Jemaa el-Fnaa square that is easy to catch, so no problems seeing the city. There is a very modern shopping mall a few blocks away to pick up anything else you might need.

Wifi was a bit of a problem here, as it seemed to be at a number of places in Morocco - I don't think the infrastructure is up to the load sometimes. We were able to get on the web occasionally, but it was not reliable. The nightclub noise problem mentioned by others wasn't really a bother while we were there, but the silly nightclub people did seem to want to leave their door open into the courtyard for some strange reason - all quiet by about 9pm, though.

All in all, a very nice, relaxing place to stay which has great rates right now, looking at the quoted prices of $86/night.

Room Tip: Get room with balcony overlooking pool.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank DocSavage_007
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Light, spacious public areas; excellent, large swimming pool and lounging area in courtyard, rooms fine, good souvenir shop - while we were there, people demonstrating artisanal skills; located on a wide, landscaped boulevard well out of town in newly developing tourist quarter - a lot of vacant sites. Walking into town is a possibility but we'd recommend a taxi or the occasional hotel shuttlebus. Meals in the low-level restaurant were plentiful but quality only so-so; like a lot of Moroccan hotels, we found. Staff courteous but somewhat off-hand especially in the restaurant - perhaps a language or training problem. Very happy to stay again.

Room Tip: Get a room on the first floor, west side, overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank meirionydd
Reviewed 12 February 2012

I recently stayed here at the beginning and end of a Cosmos bus tour around Morocco. The room was spacious and clean with a lovely balcony facing the large, clean and beautiful pool area. The reception area has lovely lounges and wifi connection is excellent here and the staff are very pleasant, couteous and helpful. There are many sun lounges around the huge pool. Breakfast was continental - toast, cereal, juices, tea, coffee, pastries, cucumber, tomatoes, cheeses, yogurt , fruit with some scrambled eggs and hot pancakes and more than adequate for quality and choice to give you a good start for the day. There is a lift and the shuttle bus to the main square and return is reliable and very handy. The supermarket - Carrefour - 10 mins walk in a straight direction from the hotel is handy and has everything you would need and there are heaps of other speciality shops and eating places. If you're female and walking alone - it's a busy road - expect some tooting horns and lingering glances from males. But if you just walk on confidently with a purpose and don't react there's no problem. I wouldn't do the walk at night alone though - even our tour guide suggested that hint.
The hotel is excellent for location - out of the city centre but close enough - 5-10 mins in the shuttle bus. Overall, have no faults wth the hotel or staff and more than exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
7  Thank butterfly4711
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I booked this hotel as it was close to a venue I needed to reach for business. It is fairly new, attractively furnished, with excellent rooms. The beds were comfortable and of the twin-zip type, and I was impressed with the speed mine was swiftly turned into a king-sized double at my request. There is a small refrigerator in the room, too.

The room overlooked the good-sized pool, and its separate children's pool, and got the early sunshine on the balcony. At night the pool area is beautifully lit with traditional lanterns creating a magical effect. There was plenty of excellent seating around the pool which is in sunshine for the majority of the day.

The bathroom was well fitted, with full-sized bath and bidet too.

The downside came later that evening when I discovered there was no heating. I was told there was a fault, and indeed electricians were working along the entire corridor two days later. Yet, for the entire five nights I was there, the heating did not work. I was supplied with a small electric fire which took the chill off, but no more.

On my first visit to the dining room, I was somewhat bemused to see a bird standing atop the pile of bread beside the toaster, and another flying in the room. The staff did not even move the piece of bread when i drew their attention to it. They simply laughed and ignored it! There was a good choice of food, including 'cereal soup', a kind of porridge which was quite tasty, although not as we know it.

My issues with the service came when I became ill. I developed a high temperature and hideous tummy bug on Day 2 - and needed water brought up to my room. Simple enough, yet the difficulty I had in getting this was unbelievable. I also requested some plain boiled rice, and got lukewarm rice, drowning in melted butter! Was it reheated or had it just got cold? I've no idea, but it was definitely NOT plain freshly cooked boiled rice.

During four of the three of the four days I spent here, life was pretty miserable. Feeling so ill, and discovering the shortcomings of the service and also the English language skills of the staff made life very unpleasant. In fact, so cold was I in my room, that I dragged myself out to sleep on a sunbed as it was a lot warmer out there than in my room. This was actually quite a challenge in my state of health! Here, I found the Pool Boy to be the best English speaker and the most caring and considerate member of staff I encountered throughout my stay.

They did call a Doctor for me when I asked, but were unable to help me get the prescription made up. This resulted in the Doctor offering to take me to the Pharmacy, and he organised a taxi to return me to my hotel. Thank heaven for a kindly Doctor.

I had booked a small hotel in the Kasbah for the remaining, post-business, days of my trip to Marrakech and on the departure morning from ZK, I couldn't even get someone to come and help me with my luggage! They did however organise a taxi for me, and I was more thankful than I can tell you to leave the Zalagh Kasbah behind and arrive at a welcoming and very friendly small boutique hotel where I was immediately offered Boiled Rice!

It is a long, but straightforward walk into the old town, along a main road with good pavements. Longer than it looks as the road is so straight! Taxi drivers will try to charge you around 100 dirhams to take you into town (so I'm told) yet when I did the journey in reverse, from my Riad to the shopping centre just before my return to the UK, the fare was only 20 dirhams. One gets streetwise and local info much more readily when staying in the Medina or Kasbah.

My own experience, of staying in two small Riads - one before and another after the ZK experience, I much prefer the more personal and caring service one gets in a small, usually family run hotel.

Would I go back to the ZK or recommend it? Hard to answer that. Had I not been ill, had the heating been working in my room, had the staff been able to speak better English, had there been more help and consideration for my 'special' needs in view of my illness - then I might feel very differently. It is close to the new Al Maswar Supermarket and shopping complex, which makes it fairly easy to get drinks etc. There are no good restaurants close by, but several 'chain' eateries in the Al Maswar. The staff were friendly enough, but simply didn't have the knowledge or the experience (or even authority) to deal with my needs.

For several years, I worked as an overseas Manager for a major British Tour Operator. My guess is (I did not investigate this) that this hotel has not trained its staff well enough in dealing with anything other than the basics of meet and greet.

I am going back to Marrakech next week - this time to stay at the Hotel Eden Andalou - a trip organised by my daughter as a Christmas present. Utter coincidence as she didn't know of my January trip when she bought it. I am excited, because I loved Marrakech.

Room Tip: Pool view is good. There are some new rooms being prepared for 2013 and these will be a mix of pool...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business