“Nice hotel but zero for customer service”

Zalagh Kasbah Hotel and Spa
Ranked #457 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed one week in this hotel .
Overall we enjoyed our time in marrakech , the hotel is nice , we have been lucky for the weather so we were able to stay at the swimming pool . the room was ok but nothing special for a 4 stars ( no safe ).
Honestly I work in the hospitality and I used to work in 4 and 5 stars hotel in France .
The service is bellow average . The staff reception is a bit lost about advices and service and even sometimes a slightly rude.
If you need anything you have to wait at least 15 min the service is really slow .
About the breakfast : it's ok . I was surprised of the taste of the pastries , I guessed they stayed in a plastic bag for a while . Not a large choice for coffee as well .
The food a the snack is a bit pricy for what it is .
As I said I work in hospitality and I think the main rule in a 4 stars hotel is to look after the customers . ( barman asked for a cigarette to me , no more towels in the bathroom after breakfast , no matches in the room , even at the reception I had to buy some )
Sometimes don't be surprised if they don't have enough towels or mattress At the swimming pool .
When I asked for , I had as an answer " sorry sir it's really busy today " so what ?!?
However we had a great stay in marrakech it's a beautiful city.
But I have to stay that I will never come back in this hotel .

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pierre-franc C

Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel with a group for a considerably reduced price. The hotel housed some pretty drunk and noisy teenagers and staff seemed reluctant to do anything about the noise. Not something a hotel that claims four stars can afford in our opinion.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank juliuskebab
Reviewed 17 February 2014

After booking the hotel via Easyjet holidays I read the reviews on TA. I had to say that they concerned me and was wondering what sort of a stay we would get. But I am glad to say that the hotel was lovely.

All staff were welcoming and friendly, and when trying to converse in my rusty school French they seemed pleased but also spoke to us in English.

Breakfast is buffet style, with plenty of bread and pastries ( even a toaster!!!!) plus with the addition of scrambled and boiled eggs and omlettes. There is also an option of the Moroccan version of pankcakes that will be cooked to order. Great selection of preserves and cereal too plus tea coffe and juice.

Evening meal is a choice of three items from a three course menu, sometimes served in the main restaurant and sometimes in the Berber room.

Wine and beers are reasonably priced.

Free wifi is available, a weaker connection from our room but great reception by the pool and lobby bar.

Rooms are spacious, with plenty of power points for charging electrical items, comfortable beds, with balconies. Above all they are kept spotlessly clean. The bathrooms are also spacious with an over the bath shower & hairdryer. Fresh towels daily of required and a supply of complimentary toiletries. There is an in room safe - which did ot work at first, but maintenance appeared within 5 mins of us reporting to reception to fix the issue. Each room has a flat screen TV which does receive BBC world.... so there are English Channels! Rooms also have a/c & heating.

Tours to Atlas mountains and surrounding areas can also be booked from reception. The hotel also provides a complementary mini bus to town which runs virtually every hour. However you can walk there in 45 mins(a v slow stroll) through paved gardens - its really safe and you get to see so much more!

The pool area is lovely, comfy bed and lots of tables, chairs and umbrellas. Although the pool was particularly cold. Pool towels are provided and there is always a member of staff in attendance. All the guests and staff were particularly helpful when my husband lost his wedding ring in the pool - it was found after 30 minutes of lots of people looking :-)

There are some small works being carried out at the hotel, rooms that face the mountains are being refurbed, however this is not major, no diggers or pneumatic drills, just the off bit of sanding, so there maybe a small amount of noise.

The only other noise we experienced was from other guests - and I am sure that you get this at any hotel in the world, not all guests appreciate that people may be sleeping !

All in all we had a great 4 nights at the Zalagh and will be recommending it as a great place to stay

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor, that way you shouldnt be troubled by people walking around in high heels in the...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jackie B
Reviewed 18 January 2014

This is a huge hotel that has it all. The rooms are great, all with balconies. great amenities and a shuttle bus to the famous Marrakech Markets. There is also a health centre, restaurants and bars available. There is no wifi available in the rooms but the reception area is fabulous and offers a comfortable place to contact friends and family. I travelled with a group so my experience may be different to people who area travelling solo..........

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool. We had a room overlooking the carpark which was disappointing...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Laura P
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

Traveling as two women we were told lots of horror stories about going to Marrakech on our own.

We however had an amazing holiday, met some amazing locals and spent the majority of our holiday within the medina. Unfortunately the same cannot be said about the hotel!

The positives are that it's a lovely hotel, the grounds are nice, pool area is stunning, rooms are spacious and have lovely views of the pool. No complaints with any of that, apart from no English channels on tv however we were out all day and all night, so not a big issue for us.

We ate breakfast in the hotel most mornings. It's pretty standard continental breakfast, same every morning but food is ok, not amazing, not the worst but just 'ok'. The made to order omelettes are worth queuing for though.
We ate in the evening there once, the night we arrived and thought we were in for a week of horrendous food after it! It was shocking, so glad we only booked b&b! Very poor example of true moroccan food, as we found out, plus we both had upset stomachs that night and next day.

The staff are something else though, very rude, unwelcoming and unapproachable. They appeared fine with everyone who was non british, so can only assume that was the issue?
The young barman however was polite and welcoming on the occasions he served us, as was the maid who cleaned our room.

We made full use of the free shuttle when we could, which was good but get there early, 15 mins at least, else you won't get a seat! Same for return journey! It takes about 10 mins to get from hotel to the medina, so not too bad at all. There is a supermarket within a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel which was handy, as we went there to get snacks for our room and water (2 dirhams in supermarket, 25 dirhams in the hotel) so worth the walk! The meal cost us 450 dirhams in the hotel and it was awful, eating in the medina cost us 200 dirham for loads of tasty fresh food and that was including drinks, so hotel was quite expensive.

I will definitely revisit marrakech but I will not stay in this hotel again due to the staff.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank sherrybaby_1983
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Another review states "It's like a nice-looking car with a faulty engine and no seatbelts.” That couldnt be closer to the truth. We stayed here as part of a tour, on first glance the hotel looks really nice; 5 star even. The reception is open plan and nice, although the wifii doesnt work anywhere in the hotel properly. The pool area follows this and rooms over look it. On closer inspection we were lost for words.

First off, the reception staff and very rude, unhelpful and unfriendly. If you are on a tour, ask your tour guide to speak to them in French or Arabic. We were given the wrong room at first, little bit annoyed as this hotel is a maze. I'm not joking, it is a maze of hall ways and turns. It's all been planned and constructed at difference times. It took about a good 10-15 minutes to find this room. Back to reception, they gave us another room. However, it seemed only to be half finished - there were no draws in the bedside draws. Even though we are a couple we were given two twin beds. We complained about this and were told rudely that the hotel was over booked and that there was nothing they could do.

We were luck other friends on the tour had rooms with wires sticking out, showers that didnt work. Toilets that flushed hot water, or didnt work at all. Walls half finished / falling down. No mini fridges. It seems our tour got the short end of the stick as all the other tour companies staying there looked 50+.

Also, the hotel is not close to town at all. Taxi's charge ALOT and you wont find one that will turn the meter on. Your looking at 100 DH to get to town and probably more to get to the airport.

The breakfast is average and although they make hot pancakes there was only one poor lady making them one at a time so unless you want to wait forever its a bit of a waste of time. Also, she doesnt start until after 730 so dont bother coming early to get in first.

The gift shop is a rip off, dont bother with it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NZKirst
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Stayed here at the end of a tour, around 90% of the 38 people in our group had problems with their rooms and the hotel staff. The hotel had over booked so the majority of our group were assigned rooms in a wing of the hotel that was under construction and perhaps not normally used. All rooms were found in an unfinished & unclean state, without lights, safes, towels, hairdryers, hotel information & dirty sheets, doors without locks. Some were without hot water and others without water at all. The rooms were not sign posted, it took too long to find our way, our room was in the far corner of the hotel in cold unlit unfinished corridor without working lifts.

I went to the front desk 4 times and called reception 6 times to ask for towels & a hairdryer, it took 8 hours before we were delivered two towels, it wasn't until the second day we received hand towels, bath matts and our beds were remade with clean sheets. I was never brought a hairdryer although I was told I would get one by reception many times, I had to go to the in hotel salon to dry my hair. I felt embarrassed complaining about these things that should be standard in a 4 star hotel when some of our group were not even assigned a room and forced to share rooms with other guests!

Our free airport shuttle never came after 30mins waiting we were forced to pay over priced taxis to make our flight. The free shuttle to the medina only goes on the hour and is difficult to find if coming back from the Medina so we used taxis to get between the hotel and sights. We did not find a single taxi that agreed to use their meter even when taken from the hotel, the taxi prices were 10 times what our guide had told us.

This '4 star' hotel had a nice looking pool but the room condition and standard of service makes the hotel underserving of a single star in my opinion.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple