“Im not impressed...” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #387 of 508 Hotels in Marrakech
Bergen, Norway
“Im not impressed...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

It was quite dusty on our room. The food was not bad, but not to good either... Well they had wine and the beds was ok... I swam in the big pool (all alone), it was nice but it was very cold. No wifi in the rooms and it was very very poor in the reception area too. I think this is too far from the Medina/souk, you can not walk from the hotel. Book a riad instead is my advice!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Monica J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

nice hotel,some staff more pleasant than others,every time we asked for a drink they looked rather bewildered,and I think they missed a trick by not offering poolside service.
nice pool area,but INSUFFERABLE music on a permanent loop of inapropriateness at every level.
breakfast was perfectly adequate,plenty carbs,eggs,and a rather greasy doughy made to order "pancake",but more like a chapati.
Rooms are comfortable,we asked for a pool view,but sadly were not given one,as we were only there 3 nights we didn't bother to move the next day as promised.
it's about a 60 minute walk into town and the main square.souks etc which we enjoyed,as most of the other reviews have said wifi very variable,but do-able,on the whole,worth a punt.

Room Tip: choose pool view
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Wimblington, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

I did a lot of reading up on this hotel from this site. A couple of people had mentioned that the staff were rude.I have to say, the four days my husband and I were there, we could not have had more polite and friendly staff. My only gripe was how laid back they were and so little information they gave.
Upon arrival, we were served mint tea, which is what they traditionally drink over there. It is served in a small glass, and looks like hot water with soggy mint leaves in it. But despite its odd appearance, it is actually very nice and refreshing.
We arrived on the Monday, half board, and we were told we could have either lunch or dinner in addition to our breakfast-they did not mind which we chose. We chose to have lunch on our first day, and sat by the pool. It then transpired food there had to be paid for. The waitress, told us the restaurant downstairs was where the free buffets were. Again, this was not very explained upon arrival, but not the end of the world.
We went to the correct restaurant, but they were half an hour late with getting food out. According the waitress "since we put our clocks forward an hour, no one knows what they're doing" oh well, me either!
I was surprised at how "French" the whole of Marrakesh is. I may be an inexperienced traveller, and although I knew French was spoken, I had no idea it was their first language. Signs, menus, magazines-all French. Even the food is predominantly French cuisine.So if like me, you know some basic French, you will get along very well, although most people spoke good English.
I was advised to change English money up a bit at a time, as you don't really know what you will spend. £100 got us 1300MAD. Which can go a long way, if you plan on staying at the hotel sunbathing, or not so far, if like us, you want to do EVERYTHING. (We spent about £1000 over four days). A coca cola in the hotel bar was 20D a glass of wine 70D. I drank bottled water, but went to the supermarket where it was only 2D as opposed to 20D back in the hotel.
Although we were half board, all drinks have to be paid for.
Our room was basic but clean.We had a shower over the bath, nothing fancy, but the water pressure was amazing.
We had a maid everyday come in and clean and leave us two fresh bath towels as well as two hand towels. I'm sure you could have more if you ask, but we managed.We also requested a poolside room, which someone on here advised us to do.I would also suggest the same.
Regarding the food, I found their idea of salad odd. Cucumber, tomato, lettuce and ORANGE. Or maybe it's just me? Also breakfast, you have your porridge, cereals, continental cakes, crepes, scrambled egg, omelettes,toast etc...but also yogurt to pour over your fruit.which is nice if you like fruit as I do.however their fruit is orange (very nice with yogurt) or lettuce, tomato or cucumber. (See the pattern?). Avoid the tea and coffee, quite nasty in our opinion. Stick with the fresh orange juice, by far nicer.
There is a free shuttle into the town from the hotel, but to be honest, we found it to our convenience to use a taxi. It was only 50D one way. The only thing we found within walking distance was the mall, and I do a lot of walking.
The mall is nice enough. Full of western clothing and a virgin megastore. If you are after the supermarket, it is downstairs underground and the stairs to it are located in the centre of the mall. It is huge, like a Moroccan tesco. Birds like sparrows, frequently fly around inside buildings, and the hotel bar seemed to attract a couple of them.
The hotel also puts on excursions, but it is up to you whether you think they are good value or not. Instead we hired a taxi driver for the day, who took us into 'new' Marrakesh and gave us a tour. He also took us to Jardin a Marjorelle, the palmeraie where we rode on a camel and the Bahari palace.When he brought us back to the hotel, we asked how much we owed him. He asked what we wanted to pay. No one has a price, everyone haggles. We offered him 700D and he seemed delighted. To us, it was a bargain as we expected to pay 1000D. To help us, we used to take 10% off everything to try and work out the cost. So for example 700D in our heads was £70 (it's actually a bit less) , but this gave us a good way to know what we were spending.
Another tip on this site was to visit La Sultana restaurant. As with all restaurants, you have to book in advance.
La Sultana is 5* and has a set menu and A la Carte. The whole place is breathtakingly beautiful, and if you can afford to go, I urge you to go.We ate off the A la Carte menu and had four courses each and a bottle of wine, and the bill came to 1400D (about £125), and was very well worth it. The food was delicious, the atmosphere was romantic, and they had live Moroccan singers, who sang Happy a Birthday to my husband in Arabic. It was also the only restaurant we found that had a full English translation on their French menu.
Out in the Markets are many stalls that sell freshly squeezed orange juice for 4D. You simply must try this, it is the most delicious orange juice you will ever drink. We had some everyday. Be aware of the 'Henna' women. Lots of them will grab ladies hands and before you know it, you have £100 henna on you.We had a few children try and sell us tissues, but no one was really full on in a nasty way.The traders are very offended if you do not haggle with them, so make sure you do. Like someone on here said, it's not what you pay for something, it's how much of a bargain you think you've got. And if they are happy and you are happy, that's all that matters. I loved everything I came away with.
We did spend more money than we thought we would, but as I said, we did it all. It can be a cheap holiday or an expensive one-it's what you make it.
I am sorry I have gone off the hotel a bit....I wanted to help the next 'Virgin' visitor as much as possible. I hope I have done that without taking away the excitement.
Overall the hotel is very nice. My only disappointment was the wifi is very weak when a few people are on it at once.i was unable to FaceTime my daughter a couple of times.
Marrakech is a stunningly colourful place. I enjoyed my time there.I hope you do too.

Room Tip: Learn some basic French phrases, it will help.Also ask for a poolside room, otherwise your view will...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Kelly A
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

This is a good hotel on the edge of town with a beautiful, stunning pool area.

Good points:
Loungers are very comfy.
Good selection of beers and wines at reasonable prices.
The spa is reasonable and new.
The manager Giovanni from Italy is the most wonderful man for suggestions.

Bad points:
No wifi - it's in the hall but lasts seconds and immediately needs an overhaul .
Food - lunch is poor in restaurant, the pool bar much better ( in fact it's tasty there) Not worth half board for main restaurant.

Spa pool is heated and should be free, it's lovely. The jacuzzi was cold.

Music- four songs of piped lift music are on repeat in the lobby. Areosmiths " I don't wanna miss a thing" got boring on the 420th repeat.

Pool music - loud and annoying early 2000's hip hop booming out all day with constant 'F' and 'N' words when trying to chill. I say this as someone who's young and was going out to bars and clubs in Marrakech not a pensioner playing scrabble. I asked them to turn it down and they did for a while, before another rap battle about " shooting up some b£&))£s" began booming from the speakers around the pool.

Overall it's worth a stay.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed one week in this hotel .
Overall we enjoyed our time in marrakech , the hotel is nice , we have been lucky for the weather so we were able to stay at the swimming pool . the room was ok but nothing special for a 4 stars ( no safe ).
Honestly I work in the hospitality and I used to work in 4 and 5 stars hotel in France .
The service is bellow average . The staff reception is a bit lost about advices and service and even sometimes a slightly rude.
If you need anything you have to wait at least 15 min the service is really slow .
About the breakfast : it's ok . I was surprised of the taste of the pastries , I guessed they stayed in a plastic bag for a while . Not a large choice for coffee as well .
The food a the snack is a bit pricy for what it is .
As I said I work in hospitality and I think the main rule in a 4 stars hotel is to look after the customers . ( barman asked for a cigarette to me , no more towels in the bathroom after breakfast , no matches in the room , even at the reception I had to buy some )
Sometimes don't be surprised if they don't have enough towels or mattress At the swimming pool .
When I asked for , I had as an answer " sorry sir it's really busy today " so what ?!?
However we had a great stay in marrakech it's a beautiful city.
But I have to stay that I will never come back in this hotel .

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pierre-franc C
Seminyak, Indonesia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel with a group for a considerably reduced price. The hotel housed some pretty drunk and noisy teenagers and staff seemed reluctant to do anything about the noise. Not something a hotel that claims four stars can afford in our opinion.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank juliuskebab
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

After booking the hotel via Easyjet holidays I read the reviews on TA. I had to say that they concerned me and was wondering what sort of a stay we would get. But I am glad to say that the hotel was lovely.

All staff were welcoming and friendly, and when trying to converse in my rusty school French they seemed pleased but also spoke to us in English.

Breakfast is buffet style, with plenty of bread and pastries ( even a toaster!!!!) plus with the addition of scrambled and boiled eggs and omlettes. There is also an option of the Moroccan version of pankcakes that will be cooked to order. Great selection of preserves and cereal too plus tea coffe and juice.

Evening meal is a choice of three items from a three course menu, sometimes served in the main restaurant and sometimes in the Berber room.

Wine and beers are reasonably priced.

Free wifi is available, a weaker connection from our room but great reception by the pool and lobby bar.

Rooms are spacious, with plenty of power points for charging electrical items, comfortable beds, with balconies. Above all they are kept spotlessly clean. The bathrooms are also spacious with an over the bath shower & hairdryer. Fresh towels daily of required and a supply of complimentary toiletries. There is an in room safe - which did ot work at first, but maintenance appeared within 5 mins of us reporting to reception to fix the issue. Each room has a flat screen TV which does receive BBC world.... so there are English Channels! Rooms also have a/c & heating.

Tours to Atlas mountains and surrounding areas can also be booked from reception. The hotel also provides a complementary mini bus to town which runs virtually every hour. However you can walk there in 45 mins(a v slow stroll) through paved gardens - its really safe and you get to see so much more!

The pool area is lovely, comfy bed and lots of tables, chairs and umbrellas. Although the pool was particularly cold. Pool towels are provided and there is always a member of staff in attendance. All the guests and staff were particularly helpful when my husband lost his wedding ring in the pool - it was found after 30 minutes of lots of people looking :-)

There are some small works being carried out at the hotel, rooms that face the mountains are being refurbed, however this is not major, no diggers or pneumatic drills, just the off bit of sanding, so there maybe a small amount of noise.

The only other noise we experienced was from other guests - and I am sure that you get this at any hotel in the world, not all guests appreciate that people may be sleeping !

All in all we had a great 4 nights at the Zalagh and will be recommending it as a great place to stay

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor, that way you shouldnt be troubled by people walking around in high heels in the...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple