“Fabulous, luxurious and contemporary”

Sirayane Boutique Hotel & Spa
Ranked #38 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We have just returned from a most relaxing and enjoyable stay at the Siryane.

The overall vibe is relaxed luxury meets contemporary minimalist architecture. The main building has a luxurious red and silver theme, from the blissfully cool reception to the stunning ceiling in the bar.

The accommodation is wonderful. I particularly recommend one of the little cottage rooms with private garden - lovely. Upon returning to our room each evening we found our bed decorated with rose petals - different ones each day - from the hotel garden.

The staff are particularly attentive. Nothing was too much trouble. Upon arrival we were greeted with local mint tea and scrumptious home made Moroccan pastries, and lots of water and nibbles in the room - a real relief after a long flight.

The shuttle into the Medina is a great idea and a fantastic freebie!

A real gem and we will return.

Reviewed 14 August 2011

We stayed for 1 week as part of the Groupon deal. When we arrived, the staff were dealing with others who had arrived before us so we didn't mind waiting, but when they had finished with them, we had to approach them - they did not come to us. We were taken on a short tour of the hotel and it looks lovely, as you can see from the pictures, however, it was definitely a case of style over substance. We were in room 110, which had a garden area. The first 2 nights we couldn't sleep for the heat, as there was only 1 bulky, ugly air con unit for the whole room and it wasn't very effective. The remote for the unit stopped working so someone came to fix it and cleaned the unit while they were there and it worked much better after that. We then realised we couldn't sleep the rest of the time because the bed was so uncomfortable! It was rock hard and uneven. I normally like a hard bed but that was ridiculous! We complained to Reception and nothing was done. I bumped into the manager and mentioned about the bed, he was incredibly defensive and said I was the only person ever to have complained about this. I said that was how it felt to us, maybe he should try it for himself, and he reluctantly agreed to put a quilt on top of the mattress. As you can imagine, it made no difference at all so we really did not have a relaxing holiday. The room looked nice and it was good there was a decent TV and a DVD player, but it was a little irritating that there was only 1 English-speaking channel and that was BBC News 24 which got boring. We'd taken some DVDs of our own knowing that, thank goodness, but the DVD player would throw a hissy fit and stop working every time we used it. I would recommend they invest in some sort of iPod dock to play music from, as lots of 5* places have. The shower was OK, the pressure was a little weak and it was annoying that there was nowhere to hang your wet trunks/bikinis to dry. Also, the toilet paper was cheap and thin, not what I'd have expected from a 5* hotel.

The spa looked beautiful but every time we went in the staff were asleep!! They barely spoke English and were really lethargic, it felt like we were an inconvenience to them. We had a free hammam massage as part of our deal - what a waste of time! The girl gave us a pathetic scrub with some stuff, left us in a steam room for ages, then came back and scrubbed us a bit more, made us have a shower, then left us again! When we were getting undressed for the hammam, they told us to put one of the dressing-gowns on in the changing room. My boyfriend went to pick it up and noticed it had a massive skid-mark in it! Gross! We told the girl and all she did was took it away and brought another. Made us question how clean things were. I had an oriental massage, too, it was OK apart from the fact the girl didn't ask if I had any areas to avoid/work on and whether the pressure was OK - she wasn't taking the hint when I was wriggling away from where she was pulverising me with her elbows and saying 'ow' - I ended up with bruises on my back!! Also, she left me in the room alone for 10 mins before starting the massage and she suddenly remembered part-way through she should have put some relaxing music on and she also switched it off before I got dressed - so unprofessional.

The best thing about the place was the pool - it was cold when you first got in but you got used to it. There were plenty of sunbeds so you never had to worry about getting one, and they were really comfy - much better than the beds! The pool boys were always helpful if you needed to move your umbrella.

We really felt that no one really cared whether we had a nice time or not. I phoned Room Service and asked for an iron, I had to ring 3 times over half an hour before someone came. When she finally came, all she had was the iron and no board! She mimed to me that I should iron on the bed - no way was I doing that!! I had to ring up again and she sent her back to take the clothes I needed ironing and they did them for me. Why not have irons and ironing boards in the rooms? As we were leaving, the guy on Reception was cold and indifferent. He never asked if we had enjoyed our stay. He got annoyed because I asked for a separate confirmation to say we had paid our bill. Their billing system is confusing - if you happen to have 2 bills that were for the same amount on different days, they are combined into one! Eh? Took us ages to check it over. As I was getting into the taxi to go to the airport, a girl from Reception came chasing after me asking if I would write in their guest book - first of all, I had very few pleasant comments to make, and second, trying to get into a taxi is not the right time to ask me to do that! What annoyed us the most was when we got back we received what was clearly a generic email, saying "Thank you for your gracious comments" - how dare they be so arrogant to assume that every single guest signed the book and that they had only good things to say!

The staff in the restaurant were the most helpful and friendly in the whole place. They at least tried to smile but we never had any conversation with any of them. We enjoyed the food but it got incredibly boring - there was the Moroccan menu and the International menu to choose from. The manager will surely say there is plenty of choice but there isn't because, as with any menu, you wouldn't choose every single thing so ended up rotating between the same 2 or 3 things. The restaurant manager was working on our last night. We complained to him as the bed of shredded cabbage that our Moroccan pastries were presented on was green mouldy. He didn't even apologise, he just took them away. Then my boyfriend complained that the packet of butter that came with his bread was smeared in mustard (it had clearly been given to someone else and was unused - no big deal about reusing it if it hadn't been opened, but at least check it's not smeared in the remnants of their dinner!), again he just took it without apologising. When the bill came, he had charged us for our starters so I said I was not prepared to pay for them, so he huffed and puffed and came back with an amended bill. Then he gave us some Moroccan tea "as a gift" - we never asked for it and would have preferred if he'd have not charged us for our drinks or something as a "gift"! We are far from cheapskates but the set menus were not good value and drinks were expensive (especially alcohol) and everything had a 10% service charge on. I struggled every day at lunch as there was not much to choose from and it was pretty dear.

The breakfast was exactly the same every day - it was fine but it would have been nice for them to change it up a bit.

Another irritating thing was the music - in itself, it was fine, not too loud or intrusive, but they played the same CDs over, and over, and over again!! It really started to get on my nerves after a few days. Oh, and the free wi-fi wasn't exactly high-speed.

It's a real shame - this place could be great, they need to train the staff better, get better quality mattresses, change the menus every once in a while, reduce the prices, listen to their customers and get over themselves!

Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank classyluxury
bsmehdi, Directeur général at Sirayane Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2011

Dear Valuable guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for sharing your valuable feedbacks about your visit at Sirayane Boutique Hotel & Spa.

I do remember you dear guest, and I do remember very much that you have said to me that you are enjoying your stay in Sirayane except, for the bed which is rude for you and I have asked right away to put a mattress for you. I have seen you the day after and you have said that everything is perfect now.

In regards of the criticism, I do accept with an open heart the guest remarks about the property as it is the way to personalise more and more the offered service, that 's why we send each time a thank email to our guest and ask them if they have any comment about their stay. However, if there are constructive remarks, I take action immediately, however, if there are destructive remarks, and based on false facts, I think I have the right to answer to the guest and show him that the fact is not as he is saying.

Dear Guest, I won’t go into all details as I feel you didn’t come to enjoy your holidays in Sirayane….

In all cases, I hope I will have the opportunity to welcome you again in Sirayane Boutique Hotel & Spa to prove you that we are a hotel worthy of 5 stars Hotels.

Best regards,

Mehdi BENNANI SMIRES

Reviewed 8 August 2011

We recently returned from a truly magical stay at the Sirayane! We were greeted by a lovely air conditioned car and driven to the hotel, that is about 10 minutes drive away from the centre of Marrakech.

Upon arrival you are greeted by the very firendly hotel reception staff and whilst filling in your registration paperwork, you are presented with a lovely pot of Moroccan mint tea and homemade biscuits. A lovely touch after just arriving on a flight from London.

The rooms are of an excellent standard with a very modern design and decor. As it was my wife's 30th birthday, the owner (Mehdi) had given us a complimentary upgrade to a garden suite that had direct access to the pool and a private garden and sun loungers.

The hotel provides a free shuttle service into the centre of Marrakech at set times throughout the day and the evening. It's a lovely idea that allows you to explore Marrakech during the day, but then allows you to return to the peace and tranquility of Sirayane at night.

The staff could not do enough for you. They will reserve local restaurants and attractions for you and can even provide a private driver for that extra special night. I think the food in the hotel was of a very high standard, although wine and drinks can seem a little bit expensive.

Overall a superb hotel that provides a very intimate and personal service. Do not hesitate in booking this hotel. We will certainly be back in the future and look forward to seeing Mehdi and all the staff again.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a garden suite or private suite with your own plunge pool!
1  Thank hospidium
Reviewed 6 August 2011

Arriving well before normal check in time the staff made us feel like a king and queen. The staff are extremely attentive, the hotel is very stylish and the food excellent all together the hotel and service are more than 5 stars with any request being met promptly with grace. Highly recommended

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 4 August 2011

When a friend said she fancied a long weekend away we looked all over trying to decide on a location before deciding on going back to Morocco and staying at the Sirayane again. Medhi and his staff once again excelled in every way and we had the most amazing few days. Definitely an annual trip on the cards!!! Thank you all - again!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 August 2011

The service of the entire staff was beyond compare. Nothing was ever a problem and everyone was so happy, friendly, kind and charming. From the pool attendant to the gardener, to the reception staff and cleaners. Amidst an unexpected tornado, it was evident that the hotel has created a very special team who go out of their way to help.

Our Superior Room was charming and the Italian shower a treat after a hard day by the pool!

Amidst the relative "chaos" of Marrakech, the Siryane is a haven of tranquility but if you want to go in town for shopping/trips/dinner, then the shuttle is your only option - as there is nothing in walking distance. But if you want comfort, it's a lovely hotel and peace and quiet, then this it the right place!

The food was delicious although after 9 days, I would like to have seen something else on the menu but that's not much of a complaint.

We are now planning a return trip for 2012.

Room Tip: The Superior Room provides direct access to the pool.
1  Thank lauracotterill
Reviewed 3 August 2011

After extensive research on the internet we decided to stay here after reading some great reviews about the hotel. However it is definitely not a 5 star......I was really disappointed as I had only wanted a 5 star hotel for my wedding anniversary, this was advertised as one and turned out to be 3star. The hotel staff knew nothing about restaurants, recommending where to go in Marrakech, there were no leaflets at reception, just a map of the town centre.
The food was again 3 star, the evening menus limited, no music, no entertainment basically really really dull. Nor did I want to come to a party hotel but there was just no atmosphere !!
The pool was ok, the rooms definitley not 5star, the AC was barely there......what more can I say.....on the whole from all the reviews I've read the management seem to be very defensive ......they need to LISTEN to their customers who have spent good money on this hotel !!! And make some changes !!! For the same price (at this time of year) the 5 star Le Meridien, The Sofitel and even La Sultana offer amazing luxury. We went to La Sultana and I felt I had been to heaven and back when I saw the place. We will definitely not be returning to Sirayane as I feel they are not being honest on their website and to customers , they just seem to want to make money from you via taxi fares and tours.
One other thing......the attitude of the spa staff.....although we never used it ....it just never appealed to us, we used the showers there on our last day before we headed out to the airport. There was NO AC !!! In 40 degrees heat !!! And the attitude of the spa receptionist...... well what can I say ........it was 3 STAR !!!!!!!

Room Tip: Try and get a room by the pool
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank NaughtyFourties
bsmehdi, Directeur général at Sirayane Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2011

Dear Valuable Guest,
Thank you for taking time to write your comment

There is a list of the best restaurants available at the Front Desk, and the receptionists are always happy to recommend the best restaurants in town to all our customers.

When you check in you are given a time table of the shuttle.

On arrival, our PR takes you in an orientation tour of the Hotel and before leaving you, a folder with all the monuments, museums, gardens to visit in Marrakech ... and opening hours is given to you in your room.

We are a luxury boutique hotel design, minimalist and quiet with only 28 rooms, not a standard hotel with 400 rooms, like those you mentioned in your comment, and therefore our customers who come to Sirayane look for the calm and rest (Please read the comments of our guests regarding this point). A lounge and chill out music is played all the day at the restaurant, bar and around the pool.

Dear guest, I like to draw your attention that you won’t find anywhere in the world, the AC within the shower, it is even dangerous to your health, you can catch cold.

Otherwise, outside the showers, our SPA is fully air conditioned including the treatment rooms.

Kindly note that we are not a travel agency but a luxury hotel and so,taxis are not ours and we do not organize excursions, however we put you in touch with serious and professional agencies with whom you agreed about your tours. Therefore, I solicit you to reconsider your terms, as they are not accurate;

I understand that our luxury hotel didn’t suit you and your needs and I think you're more used to go to clubs or big hotels with animation and every day entertainment, I'm really sorry if you did the wrong choice.

Please note that we take with utmost attention and pleasure the based recommendations and advises of our guests in order to improve the service quality of our property.

Best regards,