“Good but not the best!”

Ranked #56 of 494 Hotels in Marrakech
Skibbereen, Ireland
“Good but not the best!”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I stayed here after staying in another Riad called "Riad Der Beldia" I had stayed there for 5 nights and at Mon Riad for my last two nights in Marrakech.

The first riad i stayed at was simply incredible and I am afraid I am basing this review against that of the high standards there.

We arrived quiet stressed as we were walking down the alley way and a kid/teen demanded he show us the way to this Riad even though we knew the way and then demanded money from us when we got there and we had no change to give him.The owner of the Riad eventually got rid of him but we encountered him again in the alley and he was again demanding money but we had given 20 Dirhams to the Riad manager for him.

The Riad itself it was nicely decorated but if I'm being honest it does look a little tired and it looks like someone went a little wild with a paint brush on the stairs. The roof terrace is nice and the Wi-Fi was very good and worked in all parts of the Riad. Our room was large though and that was pleasing.

The location is very good I think as its just around a 10mins walk to the main square, I found it was easy to find the Riad by turning right AFTER the "Earth Cafe" sign and then the first left. Be careful about following people around this area as there is a lot of people sending tourists the wrong way and to "Tanneries" where you will have to pay a lot of money.

The air con wasn't so good and made a howling wind noise and only half of the air came out which meant the air con was on all the time but was very ineffective. The bed i felt was very firm, too firm. I felt had a very sore back after two nights of sleeping on it.

Breakfast was ok and was appetizing with a nice natural yogurt but I was a little surprised that fresh orange juice wasn't served. We also had dinner here one night and that was fantastic, we had a Marrakech tajine and a nice man came all the way up and down the stairs to the roof top to serve us this delicious homemade dish although i did feel it was a little bit expensive at 160Dirhams each for what was just one bowl.

As with all my reviews I am completely honest, I found the staff very friendly and I would still recommend a stay here as you will have very little issues. I was a little disillusioned with all the begging and people hassling us in Marrakech that by the time I stayed here I just wanted to go home.

Room Tip: Room 9 has a few faults with Air Con but its bigger
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank WestCorkTravel
MonRiad, Direttore at MonRiad, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

We would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience of Monriad and Marrakech with the Trip Advisor community.

We are very sorry to hear that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us and that service did not completely meet your expectations.

We have of course taken good note of your comments concerning the technical problem you experienced with the air-condition and we apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Furthermore, we would like to draw your attention on your comments concerning one of our fierce competitors by mentioning the name of the riad in you first sentence. For us, it’s simply making publicity for another Riad, so how can travellers be trustworthy to your comments ? It simply put into question your whole comment.

Concerning your remarks for the environment, for the culture and people of Marrakech and specially la Medina, please take some time before your trip to be informed about the general atmosphere of the city you are visiting. For some people it can be annoying but for others it can be charming. Simply a different point of view.

Once again, we are very sorry that you did not have a memorable visit but do hope you will nevertheless give us another chance to welcome you to Monriad in a not too distant future. Looking forward to that pleasure, I remain,

Manuela

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights. All of the staff were friendly and helpful. Rooms were big and comfortable and shared area downstairs was light and comfy. We enjoyed coming back to the Riad after a hot walk around the medina and putting our feet into the plunge pool. Breakfast served downstairs was sufficient. We both slept well as riad is not too noisy. Would recommend to others!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank HKchic
MonRiad, Direttore at MonRiad, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear HKchic,
we're very pleased we provided you and your family with a great start to your holiday.
MOnRiad is perfect for visit the Medina. Rooms were big and comfortable and shared area downstairs was light and comfy. Hope to see you for your next visit in Marrakech
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I chose this Riad based upon the great ratings and reviews it has on here; I wasn't disappointed!

This was my first holiday without parents and I went with my girlfriend for a week, which I would say is a good length of time to stay for. We decided not to book through a company and directly e-mailed the Riad using the link on here. Manuela replied promptly and it was incredibly easy to book and place a deposit down. She also was quick to reply and very accommodating; even organising additional trips for us, such as a private 4x4 trip to the Atlas mountains and camel riding with an exclusive meal at a local house. Both trips I would fervently advise doing!

We arrived late in the evening (typical Ryan air) and were promptly picked up from the airport to the Riad. Unlike hotels, where you have to deal with booking in and collecting keys before you can relax, the Monriad immediately welcomed us and had already set the table and prepared dinner. After giving us time to relax and unwind after a stressful day of travelling, they then gave us information on Morocco and Marrakech itself. They showed us, on a map they provided, places of interest depending upon what interested us; for example I love history and so they showed us historical monuments and museums, but my girlfriend loves shopping and so they told us about the souks and showed us where the best markets were.

Manuela, Hossny and all of the other staff are incredibly friendly, easily approachable and genuinely nice people. The Riad, like a lot of reviews already say, really was like a sanctuary and provided a direct contrast to the manic hustle and bustle of the Jemaa el-Fnna, which was only a 3 minute walk away. We always felt safe and secure in the Riad, on the last day the cleaner, who always had a smile on her face, even ran after us with my phone which I'd accidently left behind! The terrace was beautiful, and due to the modest size of the Riad, we were often the only ones up there.

Breakfast was lovely, and included: freshly baked bread, Moroccan pancakes, freshly squeezed orange juice, roasted coffee, homemade yoghurt and jam. It was a wonderful start to every day and they served from 8ish to 10ish and so you could make your way down at any time. The dinner they also made was absolutely fantastic too! However, Manuela also showed us her favourite places to eat in the city, which were equally as nice. I would also advise eating at the stalls in the Jemaa el-Fnna because they were very quick, very cheap, and very nice .

All in all, I cannot praise and recommend the Monriad enough, its as beautiful as the pictures and really has a feeling of a traditional Moroccan home with each room decorated differently. If you're planning on visiting Marrakech, I would definitely advise avoiding hotels and always opting for a Riad. And I personally think that the best Riad is undoubtedly the Monriad!

I hope I have done it justice!

We will definitely be returning some day!

Ciaran and Francesca

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ciarán G
MonRiad, Direttore at MonRiad, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Grant ,
Thank you for posting a lovely review of your stay at MonRiad. What a pleasure to be staying for leisure for a week, then you get the opportunity to experience the best of Marrakech, and all of the excellent amenities the hotel has to offer. The hotel is ideally located in the cultural heart of Marrakech near to many of the must-see sights, . We are delighted you enjoyed amazing customer service, as the team at MonRiad are very much looking forward to your next visit.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Visited this Riad in person before choosing as it had a good rating and location. I liked the rooms and the common areas plus they were very accommodating to my requirements so I stayed. Was only meant to be a week, but was a very comfortable place to stay for a while so ended up being 3.5 weeks. Its good because:
- Italian owners and their staff are very hospitable and reasonable in the way they operate
- The rooms are large and very tastefully decorated in a Moroccan manner.
- The bathrooms/shower area are typically quite large and well appointed.
- Location is ideal. Quiet. Everything close from here.
- Overall a very comfortable place to stay where you get treated well.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank TheoA201
MonRiad, Direttore at MonRiad, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Theo,
Thanks for your commentary, we are very happy to see that you’ve appreciated our rooms and decorations. We are pleased that you’ve noticed the central position of our Riad and the kindness of our staff. Was a pleasur to have you like a guest. Hoping to see you soon in Marrakech
Best Regards
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My friend and I just returned from four nights at MonRiad. We had a wonderful experience. Manuela is very hospitable and willing to go above and beyond to provide a good service for her guests. All of the staff is extremely friendly and we especially enjoyed the hospitality from our new friend Hossny, who is very kind, professional, and great to have a conversation with in English, French, or Arabic about Moroccan life.
Overall, we found that MonRiad had everything we could have wanted for our stay in Marrakech, and we would recommend it to anyone and look forward to coming back!
Very clean, perfectly located, and homey.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Julien H
MonRiad, Direttore at MonRiad, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Julien

Thank you for the superb comments on our staff and location. We are very close to the Big Square. I am glad you like our breakfast and service. For our staff your opinion is very important . We hope you visit us again soon.
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I spent 5 days in Monriad....the place is cozy and friendly, with an excelent breakfeast and a very confortable terrace. The location is very central, near the main atractions, buses stop, jemma el fna...summarizing, is one of the best locations in the medina. The italian familly was very friendly as also all the morocan staff. Thanks for everything, for sure I'll come back. Paula Bordelo

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Paula B
MonRiad, Propriétaire at MonRiad, responded to this review, 29 December 2014
Dear Paula,

We would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience at MonRiad with the Trip Advisor Community.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Riad. Good comments such as yours are really important and useful for us. You may rest assured that they will be forwarded to all persons concerned.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon in Marrakech, for business or leisure, we remain,

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Having had a colleague stay there and advised I stay there on my visit to Marrakech I figured I would give it a try. I contacted them by email and received an almost immediate response from Manuela. We agreed on a time and place to meet and was greated by Samia. Upon entering the Riad I was in heaven. It was a beautiful hidden gem. I absolutely loved the place. Its close enough to the markets and the square but just outside enough and very relaxing. It was great to come back from a day at the souks and just relax. The rooms were comfortable, the staff are the most kind and accommodating people I have ever met while travelling and were very friendly. I had the pleasure to stay at both of their riads which were amazing. And the rooftop terrace was a beautiful zen like touch. While there, the gentleman who assists at the second riad provided me the absolute best breakfast spread. Overall, I really cannot get over what an amazing place this is. Not only are the accommodations fantastic, the staff are absolutely amazing. I will definitely recommend this place to anyone who goes to Marrakech. Manuela, Barbara, Luca, Samia and everyone else. Thank you! You truly made my stay memorable!

-Matt from Canada

Room Tip: Any room is a great room!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo