“to be avoided”

Pastaz by Catanzaro
Ranked #491 of 861 Restaurants in Marrakech
Price range: US$6 - US$13
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
London
“to be avoided”
Reviewed 18 April 2013

As mentioned in other reviews there are lots of confusion . Catanzaro is a fantastic Italian restaurant located in Gueliz and where the photo currently ( april 2013 ) featuring as a main on this review is taken. This bear no comparison with Pastaz and I even wonder if there is still a connection between between Catanzaro and Pastaz.
Catanzaro food is very traditional and perfect if you want to have a change from the tagines they have an extensive menu with lots of meat dishes, pastas and pizzas
So I though Pastaz was a simplified version with only pasta and pizza for a quick lunch in a easily accessible place, and with a kids friendly menu. What a disappointment ! the choice is limited and the food not good . Between us we had a salad , lasagne and margherita pizza and the quality and taste have nothing to compare to its ( sister ) company. To top it up the waiter’s apron was so dirty that it make you cautious about what you are about to eat !

• Visited April 2013

Barcelona, Spain
“Disappointing Pizza...”
Reviewed 21 September 2012

I am sorry I have to rate this restaurant as 'average' but I went there just to have a nice pizza and it was so disappointing...I am Italian so I'd expected a truly Italian pizza, not an amazing one but at least fairly good. Well it was small, mozzarella was of poor quality and the base wasn't great. I am not very fussy, I live in London and I am used to eating pizza outside Italy, but believe me, Catanzaro doesn't serve Italian pizza. I wouldn't even be sure the owners are Italian. Anyway the rest of the food was VERY good and cheap, the restaurant is nice and clean so I would recommend going there for everything except pizza!

• Visited September 2012
Marrakech
“Fab pizza!”
Reviewed 1 September 2012

We went to the one on Imam Chafal. Brilliant pizza. Very handy if you have visited the Kawkab kids soft play centre just a few doors away. Cheap (I think it was 50dhm for all pizza's and pasta dishes). Lots of fresh toppings and perfect pizza base. In fact, we couldn't think of anywhere we had had better pizza - even in Italy!

• Visited September 2012
Marrakech, Morocco
“Restaurant Confusion”
Reviewed 12 July 2012

There is a bit of confusion here - 2 completely different restaurants are getting reviews under the same name here:

1)'Pastaz by Catanzaro' is a fast food style place. With a pizza, pasta and salad bar - it is indeed on Rue Imam Chafai. It is good for take away or a quick meal, but it is not the restaurant in the picture above! No alcohol is served.

2)'Catanzaro' is a completely different restaurant on RueTarik Ibn Ziyad. It is a wonderful family run (the same family who set up the above fast food place) authentic italian restaurant with great meat and fish dishes along with the standard pizza and pasta. They have a decent wine list.
To make matter worse, there are also reviews for this place on TA under the name 'Cantanzaro' (which is a mispelling!)

I have no idea how to get this rectified - what a mess!

• Visited July 2012
London, United Kingdom
“You have got to be kidding me”
Reviewed 5 June 2012

So bad, i was motivated to write my first review on tripadvisor.

- Microwave reheated food (so some bits hot, some bits cold)
- The waiter thought that "al dente" meant we wanted our pasta overcoooked; second attempt came out in 2 minutes, and was no different, so either the pasta is also precooked and reheated, or they didnt bother trying
- Lastly, which is more of a matter of personal taste - pizzas should really be called bread with cheese - barely any tomato sauce, terrible base, and poor quality cheese - does not come close to the wood fire oven billing.

Cheap, but definitely not cheerful - feel free to try this place, but please do not go with high expectations.

• Visited June 2012