“WARNING - DO NOT STAY HERE!!!”

Hotel La Renaissance
Ranked #380 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“WARNING - DO NOT STAY HERE!!!”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We arrived at the hotel on Good Friday at around 11am. We left our bags at reception and headed up to the roof bar for some lunch before checking into our rooms. The roof top bar was ok but extremely expensive - £4 for a large bottle of water!

We went to check in at about 1.30pm and advised that only one of our rooms was available (fine as we were a bit early). We were given a room on the 5th floor.. As soon as we open the door the smell was unbearable!!! It was just disgusting and lingered on the whole floor. We went back down to complain to reception who were extremely rude and unhelpful. They wouldn't even offer an alternative and we must have stood arguing with the staff for a good 15 minutes. We asked to speak to the manager (the guy we were speaking to pretended that he didn't understand English). We were told that the manager wouldn't be available until 4pm which didn't work for us as we had a Hamman booked at 3.30pm.

We left him to sort out another room and went off to our Hamman (which was amazing - Les Bains). On our return, he showed us to another room on the 2nd Floor which was better but still not amazing. The other room we has was on the 4th floor - had the same stench of rotting fish and was extremely loud at night with the bar music. We couldn't be bothered with the hassle of changing this room as it had taken so much out of us to get the first room swapped.

The breakfast was an absolute joke. Everything was cold or hard. Covered in flies. Took almost 30 mins to get a coffee/tea and the waitress was possibly the most miserable person I have ever met.

I had heard bad things about the service in Marrakech but didn't imagine it would be this bad. We did have some nice evenings in other hotels/restaurants it was just this hotel and the staff that made our stay unpleasant.

I never write reviews but honestly, do not stay here. It will ruin your holiday and there are some better places around for probably the same price.

You can't swim in the pool because of how dirty the water is so if that is what you are looking for I suggest cancelling and heading somewhere further out of the City.

Terrible, terrible experience. Would never go back and stress that you should never stay in this hotel if you can avoid it. Try out the Riyads instead - Le Masion d'Arabe was amazing for dinner and drinks and much more authentic and located within the Medina.

Room Tip: So noisy on 4th and 5th floor - literally shakes the windows but you can hear it on street level so...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank SuziLu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

I was arriving in this hotel on "good friday". Many of the hotels were fully booked in Marrakech due to the easter holidays ,so as a result I ended up being booked in this hotel. Upon arrival things seemed to be not well organised. First there was a wait because the rooms were not cleaned yet. While I sat down in the lobby I witnessed guests complaining about something, which almost ended up in a fight between the guests and the hotel personnel. A few mins later a group of ladies, who just received the keys upon check-in came back to the reception and complained about a bad smell in the rooms. After a long wait I finally received the key for my room. When I entered I noticed that the room hadn't been cleaned yet. The bedsheets were used and a lot of the towels in the bathroom were on the floor. I went back to the reception and said that the room hadn't received a cleaning yet. They promised to clean up the room immediately which caused another 45 mins waiting. After returning back to the room things looked much better luckily.
Went to bed at around 10.30pm but unfortunately the loud music from the bar on the 6th floor (I was on the 4 th) kept me awake. After 12 pm the volume reduced a bit but still was clearly heard. The hotel is furthermore located next to a main road with lots of traffic, so it's far from being quiet.
Luckily I could leave the day afterwards, check-out was a bit of a hassle too, as not all creditcards are accepted (amex-card). I shouldn' t forget to mention the dead pigeons in the swimming-pool. (Witnessed by another guest)

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank judpat

Travellers are raving about these Marrakech hotels

Peebles, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Facts. Room was declared ready. Look at the photos and decided for yourself. After cleaning it was ok but it was a rush job and superficial. The road outside is very noisy and music from the bar shook the room until midnight. I found the staff unhelpful at reception. To say something good, the staff in the restaurant were very nice.

Other information. I got the impression that everyone complains so who cares. We arrived to wait 3 hours for our rooms to witness a fight between some customers and the staff over not wanting to pay the full price for what they had received.

Suggestion. Bring Valium to sleep.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Skytourist
Lymington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I was really looking forward to our one night at the Hotel Renaissance in Marrakech - WHAT a disappointment.
We were in a double room on the fifth floor, right underneath the disco on the roof terrace and the noise was unbearable - completely impossible to sleep. I tried to call the reception to request a room change, but the "reception" button on the phone didn't work. In the morning they told me I should have dialled 9 for reception - was I supposed to have known that by telepathy?
The room stank of fish - don't ask me why; no idea. But it was horrible.
The plumbing made the most terrible loud noise every time I turned the hot tap on, so getting up in the night quietly was an impossibility.
The staff at the reception were rude and unhelpful.
The breakfast was simply horrible - the ham and cheese had clearly been out on a plate for a considerable time, as they were both brown and hard-edged.
The room was not dirty but smelled dirty.
The location was good though. But there are many other hotels in the area .....
It was an expensive mistake. I do not suggest that anyone stays there for any reason.

Room Tip: Whatever you do, do NOT accept a room on the 4th or 5th floors. The noise from the terrace at nigh...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lymlou
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014

My wife and I stayed in this this hotel in March 2014 to celebrate our 30th (Pearl) wedding anniversary. Didn't book any sight-seeing trips beforehand yet the hotel staff were really helpful and within minutes of asking, they had a guide with a car on-hand at a pre-agreed price and trips around the city were tailored to our every need at a price that couldn't be beaten - very relaxing and flexible.
The hotel itself is clean and the staff are honest and helpful - we gormlessly left pearl jewellery in the safe when we checked out and the hotel staff kindly arranged for them to be sent to us in the UK. Nothing was too much trouble for them.
This hotel is well-placed within the city, so it's easy to stroll around from here and not rely on taxis. My wife is unable to walk well, but good restaurants are very close, so that that wasn't a problem.
The bed was very comfortable, the linen clean, the bathroom well-stocked and the design contemporary. BBCNews24 and American News channels were on the TV and the wifi was reliable and plenty fast enough for my iphone. Breakfast on top of the tallest building in Marrakech is a pretty special experience. I heartily recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: If you're not going to be in the bar, then you might want to avoid the 5th floor (on the 6th&...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

I will firstly say I am not a fussy person at all when it comes to holidays. I am 21 and have stayed in a fair share of hotels. Booked this hotel for my boyfriends birthday. Was highly disappointed with the whole aura of the hotel; our room was dirty, didn't even want to sleep in the bed as there were countless stains on the sheets; curtains were so deeply covered in dirt they had a black tint with a waxy feeling; balcony was filthy, no cups for minibar, bed headboard covered in dirt and shower broken. Ordered a double bed and arrived to two double beds pushed together. On the bright side staff were friendly.

Marrakech is not the cleanest of places so there was a constant smell of sewerage also. This is by no means a 4 star hotel. I would rate it a 2 star at the most. For a young fun, modern couple looking for a cheap holiday I would not recommend marrakech as it is more of a cultural holiday, town is quite dirty, locals are always trying to force you to buy something unnecessary and you will have to cover up. There is also hardly anything to do; not really any night life available in the city although quad biking is quite popular. I would more recommend Agadir.

After staying one night in marrakech we decided to take the supratour bus to Agadir. It is only 100 dh and takes 3 hours. A much better experience. See my review on our new hotel la timoulay.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank acleaplummer
Washington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights.

Our room was very nice - spacious and clean except for a mouldy glass in the mini bar. The shower head was fixed half way down the wall, which made getting a shower somewhat of a performance. The hotel was noisy, not so much from the traffic outside but as our room was directly below the sky bar we were kept awake by chairs scraping across the floor and loud music.

Breakfast was quite an unpleasant experience. The food was strange and there wasn't much of it to go around. The staff were hopeless, we and other guests had to ask several times for basic things like bowls and cutlery and drinks took ages to be served. There were also lots of flies and the tables were covered in crumbs. Outside to the sky bar/breakfast room there is a pool, but we decided to give it a miss as we'd have been sharing it with the local pigeons - a shame really because it looked nice.

On checkout we asked the porter to get us a taxi, which he did, but then colluded with the driver to try and rip us off. Good try! Whatever you do, insist on the meter being used as it is much cheaper.

Overall, we were bitterly disappointed with this hotel. We would definitely not stay again or recommend.

Stayed March 2014