“concierge cannot be trusted”

Hotel La Renaissance
Ranked #377 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
“concierge cannot be trusted”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel in Feb 2014 with two other friends. The pictures look great and appears to be recently refurbished but careful as the rooms are very tired looking with a lot of wear and tear and mould in the bathrrom. It was difficult to sleep as it's very noisy both at night and in the morning due to where it's positioned off a main road. One evening the water did not run properly and when it came back it was freezing - really inconvenient as we had plans to go to le Comptoir (definitely recommend this) and had just returned from an all day excursion in the sun so were desperate for showers. There is no hair dryer or iron - you may request this but it just depends if another guest hasn't taken it, so maybe take your own to be safe if you choose to stay (I wouldn't stay).

The most frustrating part of our stay was the concierge/reception desk service. There only appears to be one man that deals with all the check ins and be warned he'll con you if asking for any advice requiring taxis. One evening we asked to book a taxi to the medina as we were heading to Pepe Nero (highly recommend too) and from the medina it is only a 5 min walk away according to their website- the restaurant can organise for someone to come get you by foot as long as you can make it to Cafe France.
We asked him to arrange a cab so we can get to Cafe France and to call the restaurant ot have someone wait for us in the next 5-10minutes. Instead, he said that was not the correct location and it was a twenty min drive away outside the city and would cost 200dh (£20!). We argued it was not and tried to show him on the map, and the website instructions but then he started to rant about us in arabic to the porters and another native-esque couple who could understand him as they were waiting to check in - the woman in the couple basically shoved herself and handbag in my way and ushered him to tend her now as it seemed like I was being really tight and difficult.
As we only planned 20 minutes for the total duration to get there, we were wary we were running late and they wouldn't hold the table for longer than 20 minutes either so we told him to get us the cab now as we want to go. The taxi took ages to come, almost 20 minutes itself - we walked out the hotel and tried to get a cab off the street by this time as he kept ignoring me when I was in a very angry tone asking where it is. When he saw us leave and start talking to another cab driver, he ran out to say the cab was suddenly here now.

We recognised the cab driver as the one the hotel arranged for us to collect from the airport so it was clear they are in this driving scam together no doubt. This cab driver pretty much harrassed us all the way from the airport to the hotel to do a mountain trip with him for a "very good price" which was actually ridiculously priced - stick with the websites and book in advance with reputable vendor.

Anyway, the concierge basically told the driver to take us on a 20 min journey around the city in and out of one road after another. We knew he was taking us around the houses as we had a map and knew what was happening but had to grit our teeth as we were already so late.

Our cab home only cost half that amount and from there onwards we just hailed cabs and bartered. It's only about 20 dhirum to the medina and we paid 90% extra due to the dishonest concierge at the hotel.
You can find plenty of honest (or more reasonable) cab drivers by just going out and hailing them yourself. When you find one, get his number and arrange for him to collect you from wherever you need him to. We just gave his number to each restaurant we went to in the evening and they would call for him to come get us. He took us back to the airport for half the price the hotel made us pay. In total the journeys with him cost less than the two taxis we ordered from this cheating hotel!

I'd stay in a riad in hindsight as it'll be more quiet when trying to sleep at night and you'll be in the hustle and bustle of the markets during the day.

Marrakech is beautiful and I'd definitely visit again but would never recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Jayla S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 5 May 2014

The hotel is a mixed bag but having read other recent reviews I can't help but be surprised by their opinions on the service they received. I arrived in Marrakech with my girlfriend and having had trouble getting to the place (dodgy GPS in the rental car) I was just happy to be there. The reception staff were extremely helpful and I even had the help of one to find a parking space on the street for my car. Furthermore they informed me that the parking fees kicked in from 8am and said if I wanted they could do the ticket for me. They had us in a nice quiet room on the third floor with a balcony overlooking the front of the building, and it was clean and well presented. I would agree about the concerns of some about loud music being played as with the bar on the 6th floor and typically loud music on the first, anyone near it would've probably been affected but we were probably lucky in our location and so it didn't concern us.

The bar staff were brilliant across the board especially on the ground floor in the cafe and our waiter on the first night was good banter and was extremely attentive. The bar at the very top of the hotel didn't offer as good service and I did have to go up to order drinks even though there were three of them standing there.

The breakfast wasn't great by any stretch but for what we were paying I wasn't expecting some sort of grand buffet. It covers the basics and would certainly give enough to kick off the day.

Room Tip: Ask for the 3rd floor!!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Ii arrived at hotel la renaissance on april 2014 for 12 nights
Anyway i arrived at this hotel and was on 5 th floor under rooftop bar dj playing loud music until 2.00am. I. Requested a room on a lower floor.
The room was compact and found it wasn't clean and a bad smell from the air conditioning sewage smell.
I went up to sunbathe on rooftop terrace with pool and there was only 4 sun-loungers the rest tables and chairs. The pool was dirty and full of pigeons birds drinking the water and bird excriment everywhere around the outside of the pool.
I asked the woman who served drinks for a coffee with milk and see said only black coffee was served and on the ground floor cafe they had milk. She had a bad attitude and couldn't be bothered to accommodate me and get some milk.
They have 2 lifts and you have to wait as staff are constantly using them and there are local people at night time coming from basement nightclub to rooftop disco bar.
I think it was the 5 day i was there and it rained in marrakech i had a afternoon nap and i woke up put my feet on floor and the whole room was flooded with 2 inches of water from rain and outdoor terrace as drains were blocked and water filled up on balcony and poured into my room all over room floor and damaged my suitcase bag and belongings.
I quickly ran out and told chamber maid were lot of hotel staff came up to my room to sort it out.
One good thing came out of it a young lady in here late 30s i think she was manager upgraded me to a better room on 2 floor.
My holiday was a bit better then i had a corner terrace were i could sit for a couple of hours to sunbath in morning instead of going on rooftop one.
Good breakfast staff the woman especially she knew what i wanted in the morning and was attentive .
Night reception guy friendly and attentive in his 40s age.
The electronic card for room was always problems had to go to reception 3 times a day of whole holiday to renew it.
Over all i had abad experience and will not be going to the hotel again as other clients of hotel said the same.
Its badly run and managed for a 4 .5 star hotel.
Better hotels to stay and relax in marrakech
Hope this review helps

Room Tip: Wouldnt stay at this hotel Try the dellarossa hotel and spa better location and hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank blondmee

Travellers are raving about these Marrakech hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We arrived at the hotel on Good Friday at around 11am. We left our bags at reception and headed up to the roof bar for some lunch before checking into our rooms. The roof top bar was ok but extremely expensive - £4 for a large bottle of water!

We went to check in at about 1.30pm and advised that only one of our rooms was available (fine as we were a bit early). We were given a room on the 5th floor.. As soon as we open the door the smell was unbearable!!! It was just disgusting and lingered on the whole floor. We went back down to complain to reception who were extremely rude and unhelpful. They wouldn't even offer an alternative and we must have stood arguing with the staff for a good 15 minutes. We asked to speak to the manager (the guy we were speaking to pretended that he didn't understand English). We were told that the manager wouldn't be available until 4pm which didn't work for us as we had a Hamman booked at 3.30pm.

We left him to sort out another room and went off to our Hamman (which was amazing - Les Bains). On our return, he showed us to another room on the 2nd Floor which was better but still not amazing. The other room we has was on the 4th floor - had the same stench of rotting fish and was extremely loud at night with the bar music. We couldn't be bothered with the hassle of changing this room as it had taken so much out of us to get the first room swapped.

The breakfast was an absolute joke. Everything was cold or hard. Covered in flies. Took almost 30 mins to get a coffee/tea and the waitress was possibly the most miserable person I have ever met.

I had heard bad things about the service in Marrakech but didn't imagine it would be this bad. We did have some nice evenings in other hotels/restaurants it was just this hotel and the staff that made our stay unpleasant.

I never write reviews but honestly, do not stay here. It will ruin your holiday and there are some better places around for probably the same price.

You can't swim in the pool because of how dirty the water is so if that is what you are looking for I suggest cancelling and heading somewhere further out of the City.

Terrible, terrible experience. Would never go back and stress that you should never stay in this hotel if you can avoid it. Try out the Riyads instead - Le Masion d'Arabe was amazing for dinner and drinks and much more authentic and located within the Medina.

Room Tip: So noisy on 4th and 5th floor - literally shakes the windows but you can hear it on street level so...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank SuziLu
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

I was arriving in this hotel on "good friday". Many of the hotels were fully booked in Marrakech due to the easter holidays ,so as a result I ended up being booked in this hotel. Upon arrival things seemed to be not well organised. First there was a wait because the rooms were not cleaned yet. While I sat down in the lobby I witnessed guests complaining about something, which almost ended up in a fight between the guests and the hotel personnel. A few mins later a group of ladies, who just received the keys upon check-in came back to the reception and complained about a bad smell in the rooms. After a long wait I finally received the key for my room. When I entered I noticed that the room hadn't been cleaned yet. The bedsheets were used and a lot of the towels in the bathroom were on the floor. I went back to the reception and said that the room hadn't received a cleaning yet. They promised to clean up the room immediately which caused another 45 mins waiting. After returning back to the room things looked much better luckily.
Went to bed at around 10.30pm but unfortunately the loud music from the bar on the 6th floor (I was on the 4 th) kept me awake. After 12 pm the volume reduced a bit but still was clearly heard. The hotel is furthermore located next to a main road with lots of traffic, so it's far from being quiet.
Luckily I could leave the day afterwards, check-out was a bit of a hassle too, as not all creditcards are accepted (amex-card). I shouldn' t forget to mention the dead pigeons in the swimming-pool. (Witnessed by another guest)

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank judpat
Peebles, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Facts. Room was declared ready. Look at the photos and decided for yourself. After cleaning it was ok but it was a rush job and superficial. The road outside is very noisy and music from the bar shook the room until midnight. I found the staff unhelpful at reception. To say something good, the staff in the restaurant were very nice.

Other information. I got the impression that everyone complains so who cares. We arrived to wait 3 hours for our rooms to witness a fight between some customers and the staff over not wanting to pay the full price for what they had received.

Suggestion. Bring Valium to sleep.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Skytourist
Lymington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I was really looking forward to our one night at the Hotel Renaissance in Marrakech - WHAT a disappointment.
We were in a double room on the fifth floor, right underneath the disco on the roof terrace and the noise was unbearable - completely impossible to sleep. I tried to call the reception to request a room change, but the "reception" button on the phone didn't work. In the morning they told me I should have dialled 9 for reception - was I supposed to have known that by telepathy?
The room stank of fish - don't ask me why; no idea. But it was horrible.
The plumbing made the most terrible loud noise every time I turned the hot tap on, so getting up in the night quietly was an impossibility.
The staff at the reception were rude and unhelpful.
The breakfast was simply horrible - the ham and cheese had clearly been out on a plate for a considerable time, as they were both brown and hard-edged.
The room was not dirty but smelled dirty.
The location was good though. But there are many other hotels in the area .....
It was an expensive mistake. I do not suggest that anyone stays there for any reason.

Room Tip: Whatever you do, do NOT accept a room on the 4th or 5th floors. The noise from the terrace at nigh...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends