“Best meal in Marrakech”

Price range: US$65 - US$65
Cuisines: European, French, Moroccan, Contemporary
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A five course modern tasting menu with subtle Moroccan influences.
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I am pleased I booked at Gastro MK before we reached Marrakech, as other people we met said they tried to book on arrival and there were no spare tables.

On arrival, aperitifs were served on the terrace. Very pleasant.

All diners were then escorted to the restaurant and dinner was served. There certainly was a Moroccan influence to the food but it was like a breath of fresh air after eating at other places in Marrakech. The main has stuck in my mind, succulent "lamb", tender elegantly presented. Gorgeous balled vegetables of varying colours brought the plate to life.

Don't eat lunch if you eat at Gastro MK, the five courses are hard to manage if you have a full tummy.

The wine list was good and although this was our most expensive meal in Marrakech, it was worth every dirham.

1  Thank susiethefloosie

Reviewed 9 May 2014

I truly enjoy great food and fine dining. What for me makes one restaurant stand out over another is the experience they provide. This restaurant ticked all of my boxes and will be an experience I remember for a while. Before I share the details of my experience (in case you don't want to read them all, one tip I wish I had -- you have to ring the door bell to get in, which is just to the upper left of the door.)

My boyfriend and I arrived a little early, but were greeted with a warm hello and were taken to the dining tables as were allowed to choose where we sat. The hotel has been refurbished to feel like a relaxing tropical paradise and place to breathe from the chaos of the medina. We chose not to sit by the pool, but in a little corner, which turned out to be very intimate and private. We were then taken up to the balcony. The views of the city are generally of other rooftops and satellite dishes, but the view of the Mosque was great, and again, it was wonderful to be outside enjoy the warm sun in a calm environment. The appetizers they served were delicious. One of them include one bite only of guacamole, one! I could have just eaten that and been happy. As a bit of a Mexican food snob, I thought it was the best guacamole I had outside of Southern California. After apps, we took our wine dine to the chosen table for dinner. The food was well plated, played with flavors, and left my palette wanting more (as any good meal should). Omar, the chef, came to our table and it was such a lovely experience to get to meet him and tell him just how fantastic his food was. I would easily eat here again.

Additionally, I have to say after a fixed meal and two bottles of wine, I couldn't believe the value for money.

2  Thank calitocam
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We visited Gastro MK for an evening meal and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Food and service was excellent and we could not fault it.

1  Thank Flocktons4
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Me and my wife booked a table at this restaurant. My only slight concern was that she is heavily pregnant so some the food might not be suitable. I emailed the restaurant beforehand and as soon as we arrived the staff especially the host did everything to make her comfortable and look after her. I was very appreciative of their attitude and customer service. After arriving we were taken up to the roof terrace for drinks and canapes, the views were pretty impressive. The restaurant/riad has a nice feel to it and the decor is great.

As for the food I enjoyed the majority of the dishes on the tasting menu, the one dish I didnt like as much was more to do with my personal taste and not the quality of the dish. The rest of the dishes were of a very high standard and interesting.

I would highly recommend the restaurant to anyone visiting morocco

1  Thank TK79
Reviewed 8 May 2014

After 12 days in Morocco our last night was spent at Gastro MK. We had a fantastic meal and overall experience. Drinks on the terrace to start and then taken downstairs to our table. Food was the best we had in Morocco and the service was certainly the best. The cucumber chilli sorbet was the highlight. Well worth the treat but book well in advance as there are not many tables (which is nice actually).

Ross & Éilis from Ireland