“Good but could be better”

Kenzi Club Agdal Medina
Ranked #93 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Went with my wife in January for three nights as a little winter break and enjoyed the stay.Rooms are quite nice although ours was looking a little tired,it had a balcony and a lovely view of the snow covered mountains. Rooms were cleaned daily had sat tv and a massive double bed. Grounds are beautifull as are the pool areas with lots of comfortable loungers.There is a heated outdoor pool and a heated indoor pool in the O Spa for which you have to pay.The food was quite good especially the lunch but if there for longer could become a bit repeatative.The red and rose wine was very drinkable and all spirtits come with named mixers Schweeps coke etc There is a group of entertainers who are very enthusiastic and surprisingly not at all bad. My wife used the Spa and said it was very good and pretty good value for money.I think my major gripe is its 5 star rating its nice but lacks a bit in class i suppose you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank andyackland

Reviewed 19 January 2012

My wife and I stayed in the Kensi Club Agdal for a few days in janaury. Great wheather, 25C, excellent pools, good service. Spa en other relaxation possibilities galore. We enjoyed the all-in packages: 3 meals per day plus all drinks during the day were included. Good value for money. The food (buffets) starts to become boring after a few days, so we decided to skip a meal here and there and hit the town (few km-s) for some alternative restaurants. Rooms are a bit noisy.
We would certainly love to come back, also with our kids.

Room Tip: Further away from the reception is more quiet. Rooms are a bit noisy, so choose room upstairs.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Iwanvv
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I go away at least 2 or 3 times a year, I like to try lots of different places, this is by far the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in. I am 36 and came here with my mum aged 61. I can't understand how anyone has felt the need to moan/complain or put this place down, I thought it was outstanding in every area apart from food which I would class about 3star, still very nice, but not outstanding. Me and my mum could not fault this place.

Upon entering the hotel the smell of orange flower filled the room, very pleasent. Reception is big, bright and welcoming, very modern decor throughout. The reception staff couldn't have been more helpful or friendly, Yesar was particularly attentive and contrary to what I have read in other reviews, most staff spoke excellent english, only the porter I found spoke only French, but even he was friendly and helpful.

We were taken to our room by golf buggy which we thought was a lovely touch, everywhere is spotlessly clean including the rooms and everywhere in the grounds. The room had a balcony with a view of the apartments opposite but we didn't care as we were so impressed with everything and were only there for 2 days. The room had tv, air con/heating, safe, fridge and the shower was really nice.

We went in the first week of January and had one day of beautiful sun 22degrees and one day which was cooler, maybe 12degrees. The pool area is lovely, again spotlessly clean, big water slides, comfy sun loungers and big pagoda style sunbed's big enough for 2 or 3. Towels are provided. There wasn't much going on in the day as it was out of season, but there are programmes of activities for busier times.

Food was nice, just maybe not quite my taste, huge variety of salad, fruit and cakes, a couple of Moroccan style dishes, a pasta counter and some other fresh meats being carved, pizza, chips and fish also lots of bread. Wine, soft drinks and water are served at your table by the most lovely, freindly and chatty staff who take the time to get to know you and look after you if you are courteous enough to them.

The bar at night is full of atmosphere, serving various cocktails which we found were VERY strong, not what Im used to at all inclusive! There seems to be entertainment on every night regardless how many guests there are which I thought was great. There is a Moroccan style restaurant which you need to book into and need to pay a little bit extra for, we didn't try it.

The Spa was nice too, I had a massage, very relaxing and reasonably prices 300dirham for 30 mins (a bit less than £30) There was a charge to use the pool which I thought wasn't very good. The grounds and seating areas are very impressive.

There is a shuttle bus to the town for free, very useful. If you've never been to Marrakech I recommend getting a guided tour around the souks, it can be daunting and overwhelming. Overall, this short break was made very special for me mostly by the staff and facilities, I will be coming back here some time soon and bring my 2 children.

Room Tip: If your fussy about a view, make sure you request this when booking, not all rooms have a view
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
10  Thank Elainenutta
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I stayed in this hotel with my boyfriend in October. We really enjoyed our trip and found it very relaxing. The pools were really lovely and the food was good. The hotel staff were always very helpful. It is outside Marrakech so you do need to get a taxi to the centre but this is quite cheap. The evening entertainment isn't great but we just sat outside the restaurant most evenings and chatted which was lovely. Overall this was a really lovely holiday and we enjoyed our trip.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank AoifyC
Reviewed 3 January 2012

The Kenzi Club is a bog standard affair. It's so bog standard it's obvious the 5 stars are self applied. Based on their own, special criteria, my bathroom is a five star hotel, complete with fresh towels everyday; a place to bathe; hot, running water; and food, hastily prepared in the kitchen with little effort to make it taste marvellous because, hey, it was hastily prepared.
But wait! There's a glorious pool; TWO! glorious pools, with comfort for all; and a snack bar, open most hours of the day, serving pizza and pastries (hastily prepared mind you); and beer on tap; and the hotel rooms have TVs showing Spanish cookery shows (which demonstrate, rather aptly, how to prepare food hastily); and a wristband you have to wear at all times to prove you're a guest.
WAIT! What? A wristband? Never before have I been to a hotel where the most important requirement is for a guest to wear a wristband, that, I must report, cannot be removed. Is it really necessary? I mean, who would want to sneak in? It'd be like somebody sneaking into my bathroom to use the soap. Wait there sir! Have you a wristband? Have you paid to use the soap? I looked around and all the guests were wearing the same, brown wristbands. Except the children; the children were wearing pink wristbands. Of course! The wristbands are to differentiate between the children and the adults. It all begins to make sense; particularly if you consider this question I was asked by a member of the reception staff, "do you prefer humans or babies?"
The food then, you may have gathered, is hastily prepared. This is not a guess either; I have not spent time considering the conditions that would lead to such bog standard food. The chefs are on display, hastily preparing food, missing key ingredients like seasoning and spice. Plus. PLUS! The food is cold; typical of a buffet really. I mean, whoever heard of hot food at a buffet? Come to think of it, why do buffets exist at all?
Enough of the complaints. Let's provide a plus point; something on to which we can all hang a glimmer of hope; the Kenzi Club is cheap. Very cheap, in fact. Unless you spend New Year's Eve there in which case you'll pay a lot more for a special meal of boiled carrots.
Also, you can see the mountains.
One last gripe before I leave this domain and enjoy myself elsewhere. If you think you're going to get a double bed you'll be wrong. This is one of those hotels that prevents acts of intimacy by pretending two single beds pushed together is a double bed. Any movement towards the frisky and you'll find yourself in a very different type of crack.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
18  Thank Manchester_Matthew
Reviewed 2 January 2012

I spent 6 days at Kenzi Club Agdal Medina with my family, and I can tell you and everyone that was a fantastic holiday, one of the best I-ve ever spent in my life. The hotel was superb decorated for Christmas days. On 24 of December Santa Klaus came on a camel, and offered a presence to every child. Every european tourist received a precence in his room (a chocolate Santa). The Christmas dinner was a very big surprise, with very high standard food specialities, like Homars, Duck with oranges, Turkeys, Lamb with spices (boiled 10 hours), and so on. I cannot understand how some customers made bad reviews about this hotel. I think that this hotel is EXCELLENT in any point of view. So , if you really want to spend your holiday at this hotel, just ignore the bad reviews. This hotel has very high standards and services for all customers, and the prices are not so high, if you book in time (a couple of months before you go). The main foreign language speaking by employees is french, but many of them speak and understand english. The all inclusive board is one of the best I-ve ever met, in fact is an ultra all inclusive. You can have every drink at bar (not just locals). I think that the position of the hotel, outside the centre of Marrakech, is an advantage, because here is a safe zone and really smell the fresh air coming from Atlas mountains. A free minivan transport the customers daily to and from the centre of Marrakech, but you must book with 24 hours in advance. Do not hasitate to go in a trip in Marrakech, by the tourist company wich is in the reception hall, “Tour de ville”, is 19 euros (aprox. 190 dirhams), and of course, do not forget your camera. When I saw for the first time Jema el Fna I was a little disappointed, but someone told me: “This is history. 700 years ago this place was the same.” You must be very carefull, because a motorbike can hit you in every moment, they have no rules. Everyone wants to be a guide for 5 euro (do not accept them) and everyone wants to sell you something (their prices are twice or much bigger than the real price). If you want a shop with fix prices I recomand an “Artisanal complex”, at 10 minutes distance from Jema el Fna, on the boulevard called Mohamed V (five). There is also a good shop of souvenirs, with fix prices, at the airport (before check in). Marrakech has also a modern zone, called Gueliz. For the transfer to and from airport you can use site internet www.247transfer.com, wich is cheaper than taxi (13 euro instead of 15-20 euro), and booking.com for hotel. If you want to change money, the best course is at the airport. Do not change money in town, the reception of hotel is better. All in all there was a very interesting holiday in an african old town, and if I return in Marrakech I will go back to Kenzi Club Agdal Medina.

Room Tip: Rooms at ground level are better
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank CiprianRomania
Reviewed 27 December 2011

Spent the worst week's holiday of our life at this hotel. It looked like Cell block H from the outside, inside more reasonable. The staff were surly & the restaurant was the pits. Food was poor quality & the dining experience was worse than a large works canteen. They have made the mistake of mixing conference delegates with paying guests,instead of separating the dining area.in fact priority is given to the conference delegates who swamp the dining area & take all the best food.
The hotel is miles out of the centre of Marrakech & the shuttle bus is not frequent. There is nowhere of interest to walk, it's like a wilderness all round.
If you are from the UK avoid this hotel,it's a total waste of money.

• Stayed: March 2011