“Kenzi Club” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #105 of 508 Hotels in Marrakech
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Kenzi Club”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013

Brilliant hotel, we stayed on a 4 night break on an all inclusive basis. A beautiful room, very good standard of food, ( and they give you bottles of wine in the dinning room not just glasses!) very friendly and polite staff.In the grounds there are two pools one of which is heated.To get into town 6 or 8 free shuttle buses are provided for the 10 minute journey. Would use this hotel again.

1 Thank henderson44

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
  • Arabic first
Gravesend, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Kenzi Club Agdal in Marrakech between 7th and 11th of January 2013.
Check in went smoothly and we were given Moroccon tea as we waited for the golf buggy to transport us to our room. We were allocated room 206: (A BRONSE GRADED ROOM). This was sufficient, clean, well maintained with a shower, bath, tv, two single beds and a small ground floor balcony. The room, unlike some was close to the SPA and not far from the main action. The room was cleaned with fresh bed linen daily.
The location is very quiet. There are no shops or restaurants outside the large hotel complex, in fact it is like a dried up field.
The hotel caters for all ages including: children's nursery, spa, indoor pool, two out door pools, (one heated,the other not), outside and inside bar, snacks, sunbeds and an animation team providing entertainment in the day and evening. The dancers and music in the evening is worth watching.
The weather is rather strange at this time of year. In the morning and evening it is like an early spring temperature in England. However, between 11am and 5pm the climate is very warm with unbroken sunshine. Take a light coat for morning and evening!
The restraunt for breakfast, lunch and dinner is hygenic, no (FLY'S OR INSECT'S). However, there is a well fed ginge cat roaming about. I think he get's bored being on guard.
Although, there is a shortage of English speaking staff they are very polite in their attitude towards you. If you leave food or any drink at your meals you can be comfortable leaving it and just getting what you want next.
There is one very big problem the hotel has to get a grip of and eliminate. Kenzi Club Agdal read this for your own benefit. If you look through recent reviews you will see this marked.
The shuttle service to town with the guide is not for the hotel customers benefit, but a little man not even trained to explain any Moroccon culture.I got the impression as did the recent review of another person that all this guide wanted too do is take you to his friend's shops and get you to purchace over priced goods and get you back at the hotel quickly. He also asks for tips when you are waiting for the shuttle. If you say "no" he stands near you pretending to sulk. He then asks you again.
If you want to purchace anything you can haggle at the mini market at the hotel on a Friday.
We enjoyed our stay at the hotel and thought the 5* rating was justified. We would like to go back. However, we would want to go in a small group to take advantage of the atmosphere.
This Hotel is excellent, but avoid the shuttle.

Room Tip: Choose a room just outside the border of the pool,restaurant and bars. An example would be where we...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank nigel j
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2013

Went with my girlfriend on an all inclusive deal, post festive season break for 4 days. Beer and food was fine, accommodation excellent, however the spirits were totally shocking. We tried a few cocktails which tasted like combination of how you would experiment with fizzy drink combinations as a kid. I then thought I would play safe and drink straight whiskey. Prince Albert was the brand I was given, well all I can say is that it tasted like it came from where Prince Albert had his piercing. Cannot believe that they can pay so much attention to the decor and the food and then serve up watered down warm tasteless cocktails and whiskey that tastes no better than the simple linctus I was guzzling over Christmas when I was laid low by a nasty chest infection - what a let down! How did u get 4 stars on trip advisor? Also there is only one bar open - although very classy decor is home to the teenybopper disco mob so loud thumping music, annoying buntlines style redcoats to accompany the shizene drinks - not my idea of bliss.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank helmutnumber15
Purfleet, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2013

My husband and I stayed for four nights from 2nd January.

We found check-in to be smooth, and our luggage was swiftly loaded onto a golf buggy and we were shown to our room. We found the staff to be courteous and efficient at reception at all times. In fact, we found the majority of the staff to be friendly and polite. We don't speak much French but found that everyone spoke English with the exception of our cleaning lady.

We did find the French a bit of a problem, especially when announcements were made only in French and we could not understand what was going on. It would have been nice if they were repeated in English.

Our room was nice and the beds comfortable. The bathroom was a little shabby round the edges with a couple of chips out of the bath, and sometimes the towels looked like they had seen better days but it was clean. Our room was kept clean, but as mentioned by one other reviewer, it wasn't always cleaned in the morning and we came back to the room at 5.30pm to find the floor still wet from just having been mopped. It didn't cause us any problems particularly though.

We had room 508 and if you get allocated this room and like a lie in then I'd suggest asking for a different one. We were right next door to what was obviously a cleaning cupboard and the cleaning staff were in and out of it from about 8am, clattering about, chatting, etc and woke us up every morning. If you're an early riser, it probably won't bother you.

We found the dining room to be chaotic but this was largely down to it still being school holidays when we went and there were hundreds of children running about. You don't have to wait to be seated in the dining room, so when you first arrive, you don't really know what is going on. Just find yourself a table, and if you are really lucky, a waiter might come and ask if you want a drink. Or then again, maybe not! Most meals we just helped ourselves to soft drinks from the machine by the buffet and had no contact with waiting staff at all. I don't eat red meat and found lunch and dinner to be a bit of a struggle - I also admit to being a bit of a fussy eater. The food was pretty much the same every meal time, and I ended up eating pizza for lunch every day and pasta most evenings. The wait for the fresh cooked pasta can be quite long but if you want something hot to eat, it's one of your only options. One night, my entire dinner was pretty much stone cold.

The pool area is nice and the heated pool is a nice temperature. No one was in the other pool because it was very cold. We didn't use the gym or indoor pool because quite frankly, I wasn't prepared to pay for them.

We enjoyed the weather and sunbathed every day. I wasn't aware that it would be quite so cold in the evenings though. We were wearing coats and scarves, sometimes while in the bar as it wasn't warm enough to take them off. Pack something warm for the evenings.

I read in another review that the evening entertainment was 'stunning'. Well, I have to strongly disagree!!! We sat through five minutes of the show on the first evening, and managed ten minutes the second evening. After that we didn't bother. The first show consisted of a big white rabbit, lots of kids and some dodgy music. The second started more promisingly with a dance routine to Mama Mia, but then went downhill with a very dodgy comedy sketch which started to involve members of the audience joining in and having to re-do their bit until they got it right (all in French). The bar had no atmosphere whatsoever, and we returned to our room fairly early to watch films rather than sit there.

We went on an organised 'Souks and Squares' tour which cost £15 each. We basically followed our guide round the souks and pretty much only saw the back of him. We were told it wouldn't be an opportunity to shop, but our guide seemed to have other ideas and we came to the conclusion that he was dropping us off at various friend's shops. We went to a carpet shop, where we were told they would tell us more about the process of making them, but it was basically a sales pitch showing us different rugs. Having said that, we would never have found our own way round the souks. They are huge, a maze of streets that you will just get lost in on your own. The guide was worth it for that alone really. There are lots of people and it's pretty chaotic. I preferred the (relative) calm of the hotel.

It sounds like I think this hotel is terrible, but it wasn't. I just think you need to have realistic expectations and depending on what you want from it, you might want to go out and about a bit more in the evenings (we're lazy, so we didn't bother). We enjoyed some winter sun and a relaxing few days.

12 Thank lemonpie1978
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

Myself and mum stayed at Kenzi Club Agdal Medina in mid December 2012 for 4nights, as far as we are concerned we received a 5 star service. All staff from reception, to gardners were very friendly, our room was well maintained. Cleaned to a very high standard, with clean sheets and towels daily. The food from breakfast to evening meal was delicious with various dishes from fresh fruit to chips and so on....waiters and waitress were friendly and attentive. Beautiful resort, gardens kept in immculate condition, swimming pools cleaned reguarly....cocktails on TAP! Now as for the animation team, well the entertainment was great every night! I would defintely recommend this resort, and have every intention of returning....oh and as for the weather...say no more! perfect. Kenzi Club Agdal Medina is the place to stay when visiting Morocco.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 1st floor, the room was constantly warm as the sun shone into the room at sun rise...
9 Thank Shazzy M
clubagdal, Service qualité at Kenzi Club Agdal Medina, responded to this review, 7 January 2013
Hello,

We are pleased to know that you have a pleasant stay at club kenzi Agdal Medina

We are glad to welcome you among us again

Best regards,
surrey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

We went over Xmas 2012 - family of 4, kids 13 & 9 – ALL INCLUSIVE
Our rating & summary with details comments below
Reception 2/5
Pools 3/5
Food Hall 2/5
Bar 3/5
Activities 5/5

In summary, it’s a nice looking hotel with lovely grounds, good facilities & very good staff on the whole but fails to justify a 5* rating. Do we recommend it…yes if you can get a good deal but No if other “5*” hotels are offering similar prices. A pleasant & relaxing week but not the 5* experience we had paid & were hoping for.

Reception
Arrival was pleasant enough buy as we got a welcoming smile & a cup of Moroccan tea which was very nice.
Check –in was a bit clumsy as we arrived at 2:30pm & they did not seem to have a room allocated for us. The staff also looked miserable & unwelcoming….first impressions count right?? As we were hungry, we asked them to sort it out while we went to get some food where service was just finishing.
We were taken to our room in a golf buggy which was fine but it was like an express introduction to the hotel, what is where (hardly 5*). The guy who dropped us was not particularly cheerful & dropped our bags in the room & left in a huff. Maybe he was expecting a tip….god only knows. Here you might think its mean not to give a tip but my feeling is I had paid a lot of money for the hotel & given that we were there for less than 1 hour, my 1st impression were not good & the guy was not exactly friendly.
ROOM
Anyway…we had a family room & it was a good size with 2 TV’s, 2 toilets but only 1 sink which was in the main bathroom. It overlooked the tennis courts with the Atlas mountains in the background so very nice. The finish in the room however was not very good & the walls were painted with a marble effect….not real marble. Acceptable but again not 5*

Note. There is a safe in the room but you have to pay for it. I cannot remember the last time I went to a 5* hotel where I had to pay to use the safe….not only that, we were not told this when we checked-in so we had to go back to reception, pay the money (200 dirhams) to use it….ridiculous

There was plenty of storage so no problem there but no iron or tea making facilities. You may argue it’s a 5* hotel so why would you want to make your own tea but I like to have the option in case you down want to walk to the bar…I will come to that soon

There is no room service so you have to go to the main food hall or the 1 Moroccan restaurant which was never full

The rooms were cleaned well enough but never on time. 3 days in a row we had to call reception at 5pm to get the rooms cleaned. On the 4th day, it was 5:30pm & I went and complained to the manager who apologized quote: “we are very busy”. 1 hour & another phone call to reception later, they poor girl who did our room turned up. She was clearly not too happy & we felt a bit sorry for her as not her fault…its just poor management. As far as we were concerned, we left the room at approx. 9am & its reasonable to expect the room to be cleaned by 5pm

Spa
The Spa was nice & there were lots of treatment to spoil yourself & at a reasonable price which was a pleasant surprise. The staff were also friendly.

Gym
Yes there is a gym, not very big but good enough. Unfortunately it is in the Spa building which is in the hotel grounds but as its in the Spa building, it is not free for guests staying at the hotel. You have to pay 200 dirhams per person to use it for the week. What a cheek.

The spa also has the only indoor pool which again is charges 10 dirhams per hour to use. We were stunned to find out.

Pools
Of the 2 free pools, thankfully 1 (the smaller pool) was heated so 99% of the guests used this. The main pool was a good size & had the waterslides but it was so cold. Why they could not heat this remains a mystery…cost savings no doubt.

Bar
There is only 1 bar which is open in the evenings come dance hall floor in this hotel & its not classy at all. There is no restriction on smoking so if you do not smoke & wanted to sit for a quiet drink with the kids, its just impossible to relax & enjoy (this is where the tea making facilities in the rooms would be useful)

There is a bar near the pool which is open during the day. I don’t know why but every time we asked for coffee or English tea, they simply should not serve up a decent HOT cup. We had to ask them each time to heat up the water. That said, the bar staff were friendly & were happy to make you drinks all day

Food Hall
This was by far the worst experience I have had at a “5*” hotel. I know it was all inclusive & & know there are certain dishes they have to serve to keep everyone happy i.e. chips, pasta, pizza, salad but the hot food was never hot. Unless you queued for some time at the pasta station, or turned up as they opened, you stood a good chance of getting a hot meal otherwise, they would make the food & put in the bowls/plates for you to serve.

Breakfast was always cold (eggs, tomatoes, beans). Once the tea pots were finished, tough & the same was true for the hot milk. On the 3rd day, my wife complained to the management who said they agreed & would try to put things right. The next day, it was same as usual. If you ended up towards the end of the breakfast, lunch or dinner, then it was a case of having to eat what was left as never once did I see them re-stock any food.

If you are a vegetarian, you will struggle for the week as I did. My wife & kids are not vegetarians but even they were not impressed with the quality and the variety of the food. Each day they had a food theme i.e. Continental, Italian etc…but essentially it was the same dishes as the day before with the 1 or 2 changes.

Avtivities
This is one of the few areas where the hotel did well. The entertainment team always happy, friendly & welcoming. They laid on archery, basketball, table tennis, badminton, football, boules tournaments & were also active in holding belly dancing, Zumba, water aerobics & many other exercises throughout the day.

Kids club
There is a kids club but I can not comment on it as neither of our kids went but I did see them around the hotel doing face painting & other activities & the kids seemed happy enough.

Room Tip: we had a Family room which was a good size. Try getting the rooms facing the hotel as the other just...
5 Thank bbgtpog
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2013

We had a wonderful vacation in this property for 8 nights from 21st Dec. Reading the reviews, there were some (mis)apprehensions regarding few aspects, but after coming back, we can confidently recommend this property to anyone.

PROPERTY AND STAY: Check-in was smooth, rooms were clean and the property was constantly being cleaned and maintained. We were 'not' upgraded to a suite though this was our first time to Morocco too (did not matter though as the rooms were spacious enough). The gardens and pathways and pools were always spotlessly clean.

FOOD AND DRINKS: Food was plenty and drinks were flowing all the time. Variety could be a question for some, but for light eaters like us, there was enough variety. Every night there was a 'theme' plus the regular fare of tagines, pastas, pastas and salads. Presentation was excellent (we were there during Christmas). Spirits might have been a bit watered down, but that took care of the need to drink more without conking out.

SERVICES: Everyone was friendly and talking (even though we do not know French or more than a couple of words in Arabic) but the smiles made up for a lot of language gap. A small portion of the service staff could actually speak in passable English and always were helpful in getting around. So many of them were coming and greeting and asking if everything is ok.

ANIMATION TEAM: Now this team scores highest of all. They were always around and we had to wonder if they are ever not on duty. They were in the morning having breakfast with guests, in the afternoon managing kid clubs, belly dancing lessons, zumba classes, cookery lessons, archery, French bowling and other activities, in the evening dancing with the guests, a kids dance session at 8:30 and then at 9:30 putting up full-fledged shows - different each day. When they would practice or how can they dance after being on duty for over 12 hours is a wonder. Especially without letting down their smiles or rhythm - ever. And the dances were amazing too - full-fledged, choreographed and well produced shows. The 'Michael Jackson', Belly Dancing, Ropeway dancing and Stilt bits were awesome and absolutely brilliant, though each of the dancers were dazzling with their own 'special' bits. There were also special day time shows like 'Santa on a Camel' giving presents to kids followed by “flash mob” Gangam Style dancing. Every show was amazing (Did not like the Circus much though). The success of the shows was evident from the fact that there were hundred-odd guests dancing after the show is over (sort of an everyday ritual). Excellent talent and amazing spirit. If the purpose of Animation team is to keep up the spirit of guests, they were extremely successful in doing that. Hats off guys and girls! - if we would ever come back, it would be for you.

SPA: Very good and reasonably priced (compared to prices in UK) - we used 12 different treatments/ facilities (between the two adults) and they were consistently good.

TIPS AND SUGGESTIONS: The hotel could have included the safety lockers and gym/ indoor pool within the pricing. Though the amounts were not much, it was annoying to be told 'you have to pay'. Marrakech in general demands that you like to bargain, though we do not like to at all. Even for petty things there was a need to bargain and end up not knowing whether the price is right or not. Hence our comfort zone was the resort itself and Carrefour (no bargains at all). We also had the misfortune of going to Fantasia at Chez Ali - the worst 4 hours we spent in Marrakech - first walk through some cheap film sets, sit for dinner while being constantly pestered for money by incompetent and noisy dance groups, then the 'grand show' - meaning 200 people walking around the arena for 35 minutes, 5 guys in horses riding and shooting in the air a dozen times, 3 guys doing the mount/dismount from running horses and some incompetent dancer doing what was supposedly a belly dance but turned out to be gunny sack on a treadmill. - absolute waste of time and money.

We totally regret that instead of giving money to this pathetic excuse of a mis-show, we could have given the money (about 380Dhs a head + tips - aka "shut-the-f*** up-money to stop the annoying dancers") to the completely deserving Animation team in Kenzi Club.

3 Thank BenKates