“Great value & charming”

Riad de la Belle Epoque
Ranked #63 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 8 November 2011

A lovely friendly Riad in the medina that is very well represented by it's website. Great staff and service, very clean & comfortable.
It's location is a bit further out than you may prefer and the rooms lack some facilities like hair dryers, radio etc but we felt that was reflected in the price.
I would happily recommend the riad for travellers wanting to experience Marrakech in all it's colourful glory.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DrogoBrighton

Reviewed 24 October 2011

A well decorated and furnished hotel close to the busy centre and the souks. The room and communal raes were very clean and well presented and we also used the roof terrace to chill with a beer/glass of wine. The location is a good base for getting out and about on foot however as it's down a couple of alleyways, I'd certainly recommend using the hotel to arrange your transfer from the airport, a reasonable 20 euro each way for the 2 of us. The overriding memory however will be the friendliness of all the staff, particular mentions for Abdul and Zach. They were practically falling over themselves to make us feel welcome and were very helpful. Very good value for money.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Terry G
Reviewed 20 October 2011

Loved marrakech it is a crazy city,and this Riad is in all the hustle and the bustle of life in Marrakech, not far to all the sights.The staff looked after us with advice.The Riad was romantic and very clean,the food we had for dinner was delicious.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cityboy689
Reviewed 15 October 2011

This is the first time I have ever posted a review on Trip Advisor because frankly, I'm quite lazy, despite having stayed in some lovely places I have never before made the effort to review them. I booked my room very last minute and wasn't quite sure what to expect as I was a woman traveling alone. From the initial communications on email with Teresa - who was fantastic - to conversations in broken French and English with Abdle and the other staff at the Riad, the stay was 5*. The hotel is cosy and charming and my room was lovely. There was a real family atmosphere in the Riad which was ideal for me as I was alone. From the moment I arrived the staff went out of their way to help me make the most of Marrakech and I was only ever alone when I wished to be. The Riad is in a very quite backstreet very close to all the central tourist sites and the souks etc. During my stay there was some construction work going on nearby and it did wake me on one or two occasions but to be honest it really wasn't a big deal because everything within the hotel was perfect. If it's likely to be an issues for you then ring/email ahead just to check, but frankly given the choice I would go back to the Riad regardless because I have never experienced the kind of hospitality I experienced there and I have stayed at numerous 5 star and extremely pricey hotels. I think this is a lovely place to stay alone or on a romantic break, there were a number of families staying also and the staff doted on the children there so I think it pretty much suits anyone.

On my last night some rather unhappy Americans arrived and immediately complained that the Riad was small and that there were 'donkeys in the alley on the way in'. I pointed out that we were, after all, in Marrakech. Perhaps they would have preferred a sanitised Disney version of Morocco. If donkey's perturb you then you're better off at staying at one of the larger hotels with attached gym, swimming pool etc. But if you want to experience the romance and magic of the real Marrakech, then stay at the Riad de la Belle Epoque.

Room Tip: Have a look at the site, when I booked there was only one room available, it was lovely if not huge...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Sadaf_A
Reviewed 28 September 2011

What a fantastic find this Riad is, and the service was great the staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough for you. Teresa the owner is there for one week in every four and is very helpful, I would recommend contacting the hotel and Teresa to find out where to go for food, and trips etc

The City of Marrakech is crazy the streets are full of mopeds, donkeys and horses all travelling in different directions at the same time, how they all miss crashing is a sight to see.

With all that's going on around you the City is actually a very safe place to be but I would not stay in Marrakech for longer then 3 days at a time spend the rest of the time going to the mountains or coast

Room Tip: Vist the Riad web site
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike_Marlow
Reviewed 2 May 2011

Amazing Riad. This is the first time I have stayed in a Riad and I never expected that much. This place is spectacular, you feel like being part of an arabic tale. Very romantic hotel, everything is clean and with loads of good taste. Uncontable details. Charming. The staff, always friendly and helpful, make you feel like at home.
The rooms are very comfortable, and beautiful... bathrooms are lovely and the beds and pillows are really comfortable. This combined with the surrounding silence makes this place perfect for resting.
The breaksfast are delicious and different everyday. We also had dinner more than once at the Riad (you have to book in advanced) and it is highly reccomended. Traditional morroccan cuisine cooked with love by Fatima. After dinner it´s time to relax at the upstairs terrace.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank evaldes2
Reviewed 22 November 2010

Word is getting out about this newly-opened Riad de la Belle Epoque. Run by a Spanish couple, you are guaranteed excellent service AND the benefit of a European perspective on how to negotiate Marrakech. The rooms are beautifully decorated (we got a tour of the available rooms before settling on the "Mata Hari" suite), each with its own individual quirk, though the references to the Ladies of the Belle Epoque is just a passing one. Having stayed previously in the south medina, I think I actually prefer this location.

The service and warmth of welcome was superb. I wish I had gotten Teresa's advice earlier in my trip about haggling at the Souqs and Victor had some really interesting experiences to relate as a European in Marrakesh!

One of the best things about Belle Epoque is its very own plunge pool in the central courtyard area. The cool temperature is not for the faint-hearted but is the perfect way to cool off after a day trekking around the nearby souqs!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple