“Far Better than Expected 10 - 14 June 2012”
Review of Riad Joya

Riad Joya
Ranked #93 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Riad Joya - the reviews were spot on with TA and even better than expected.
What a Joy to meet the team at Joya, Nordine was the greatest and together with Chef and all the staff, they could not have done more to make our "Home" stay more pleasurable. The Riad itself is So elegantly decorated and comfortable, it was for us, a real home from home experience. The colours and layout and simplicity is 100 % right. Sleep quality - 10 out of 10.
The food at the Riad Joya was EXCELLENT. We had 2 dinners at Joya over our 4 night stay and in fact could have enjoyed eating in every night.
We look forward to returning and spending a few days in the kitchen learning the Moroccon cooking style from a man( Mehdi) that really knows how to cook. Those salads were the best ever. Thanks again for the special treatment during our stay.
I could go on and on but trust us and the good reviews on this one, you will not be disappointed.
We have travelled to MANY MANY cities around the world and stayed in many hotels and places but, Riad Joya comes out tops for us. Keep it up guys, Sophie should be Very Proud of her Team.

Room Tip: Rooms are all good, we stayed in Domus Suite and it was fantastic.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 1 June 2012

I knew before getting to Riad Joya that my wife and I would have a wonderful experience after reading all the great reviews here on TA. Having said that, we were pleasantly surprised that our stay was actually even better than what we expected. Even prior to our trip, Sophie, who I dealt with regarding our reservation, was very enjoyable to deal with. We had many email exchanges and she was always responsive, helpful and professional. She definitely set the tone on the high standard of service that one would receive when staying at Joya.

The riad is absolutely beautiful and very well maintained. From what I was told, they are continuously trying to make improvements. We saw all the suites and they all look fantastic! As mentioned by others, the bathrooms are very spacious, especially the showers. The entire place is always clean. Its location is, to say the least, very ideal when staying in the medina: close to the souks, the main square (Jemaa el Fna) and about a 7-minute walk to the taxis. The breakfast is quite adequate. We had a chance to eat dinner at the riad and it is a must! We opted for the Italian menu prepared by Mehdi, the riad's talented chef. Wow! He made the most delicious risotto and chicken dish we've ever had. My wife and I are still talking about it up to now.

We fell in love with this place even more because of the service by its excellent staff. Again, every positive remark on TA about the staff making this place special is true. From its manager Khalid to the cleaning lady. The Joya team was very professional, warm and willing to go above and beyond for us. They were incredibly attentive and always ready and eager to help and please their guests without being suffocating. I've read about Nourdin from many of the reviews here and he truly made our stay a remarkable one. During our stay, he always reminded us that the riad was our home and he made sure that we felt that way. Whenever we asked him to do something for us, his response was always "with pleasure". To a certain extent, I can't imagine what this gentleman wouldn't do to satisfy their guests. One thing we appreciated tremendously was what he did the night I came back to the riad with dinner that I bought from the square. He and the chef offered to put the dinner together and I assumed that they were just going to take the food out of the containers and serve them on some plates for us. A few minutes later, he and Mehdi brought the food to our room, nicely presented along with 9 different and delicious salads that Mehdi prepared!! Wow! Talk about exceeding our expectations. My wife and I ended up having a scrumptious feast in our suite that night. There are many other instances worth mentioning here, but I'm trying to keep this relatively short. However, the staff made an even greater impact on us during our last night there. The day before, my wife happened to mention how she loved the mint tea that she had been drinking everyday at the riad. Without any hesitations, the staff offered to show her how to prepare it. We ended up getting a demo from them in the kitchen and then they presented us with boxes of tea to take home with us...and that was not it! The thoughtful staff of Joya even presented us with some gifts...ahhhh! We've traveled quite a bit and we have never encountered such beautiful people and staff! This invaluable team is undoubtedly what made our (and anyone's) stay here unforgettable!!!

To the staff of Joya, we are extremely thankful for your hospitality. You surpassed our expectations and you have helped make Marrakech one of our favourite places to visit. We hope to be back very soon!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Pinoy_Jetsetter
Reviewed 21 May 2012

we stayed in riad joya for 3 nights and were treated like royalty! our room had a golden bath, the roof terrace and patio wee like oasis in the middle of crazy marrakech. the people who looked after us were extremely kind and it was wonderful to have long chats with Nordin who told us all about the city and Morocco in general. One night we were the only ones sleeping there (low season mid-week) and we were showed around all the rooms, which all have a unique character and theme, its was a great design experience! highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2012

I loved to stay at Riad Joya and I hope to be back next fall, the best period for discovering the city. Its location is right in the hearth of the Medina and it's one of the city's most elegant and suitable ryad for International travelers who want to feel at home but at the same time experience the place. I loved the bright colors of travertine stone that reflects the African warm light around and all the rooms are large and quite bright. The service is personalized and very discreet, I would considered it a lovely meeting point of the city. Khalid, the GM is adorable and all the team fantastic!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 April 2012

This is the most wonderful place to stay, I fell in love with this Riad and with Marrakech, I was just sad we could only stay 1 night!

Great location, right near all the action. Service like nothing I've ever experienced before - we felt so well looked-after but in such a subtle way that wasn't intrusive at all. We arrived mid afternoon, early March and wanted to enjoy the warm afternoon sun before venturing out so went up to the roof terrace for a drink. The waiter appeared with our wine and a selection of yummy snacks. Very peaceful and relaxing start to our holiday.

I had been a little nervous of visiting the main square as I have a severe fear of snakes, however there was no need to worry - we managed to steer clear of the middle of the square and make it up to Cafe Paris and watch the sun set, looking down at the square and the thousands of people milling around and the wonderful sounds of the call to prayer. Incredible!

Our restaurant that evening was about 10 minutes walk away from the hotel and we were escorted all the way on foot, and collected when we had finished so that we wouldn't get lost!

Our room was very beautiful with huge bed, biggest shower I've ever seen and we had a living area too - but we would have been happy to stay in smaller room, they all looked beautiful. The whole Riad is very luxurious and chic, and spotlessly clean.

I think this is the most special place I've ever stayed, can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank akl82
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Where do I begin? From the first email communiques with Sophie, to the final goodbyes on The Plaza, our stay with the Riad Joya was exquisite. All travel arrangements were handled flawlessly, and executed by fantastic team of drivers and carriers. It is truly a magical moment to step off the alleys of the Medina and step into the oasis of the Riad Joya courtyard. The view up to the blue sky truly makes you feel like you're in another world. Nordine is knowledgable, creative, humorous, professional, and a true gentleman. It was comforting after being out of the riad all day or evening, to find him at the end of the alley - waiting just for us. All of the staff was friendly and professional, anticipating your needs. I won't soon forget the moment I realized I was standing in the middle of the courtyard with a date pit in my hand, and nowhere to put it. Instantly, there was a clean plate for me to lay it on. The food was authentic, delicious, and served with home-grown love. The rooms were spare, yet exactly what we needed, and luxurious. Wifi was fast and dependable. The fresh fruit, dates and water in the room at all times was one of those details that reminds you that you are in a special place. Sitting on the roof one night, watching the full moon come up over the top of the Medina, will be a life-long memory. That, and our new friends at the Riad Joya.

Room Tip: Location is terrific - right in the heart of the Medina. Each room is different - and all exquisite...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bmaDC
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Great location. Photos of the rooms on their website show the simple luxuary that make this a perfect place to stay. What makes this place special is the staff, there is no question they don't answer, no problem they don't solve. You ask for directions? They don 't give them to you, they walk you there to make sure you find it! In house cook makes wonderful meals, customized to your own taste. When you first arrive the noise, crowds, and sights of the medina can seem overwhelming, but the staff finds a way to quickly make you feel so at home you don't want to ever leave. Can't say enough good things about Joya, one of the best places I have ever stayed on vacation

Stayed: April 2012