“a 5-star riad but not a 5-star hotel”

Riad l'Etoile d'Orient
Ranked #121 of 1,133 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Hong Kong
“a 5-star riad but not a 5-star hotel”
Reviewed 24 August 2012

L'Etoile D'Orient is a small 7 room inn just off Jm'a El Fnaa. It is very attractive,clean, comfortable and the manager was great!. However it was given a 5 star rating when I booked it. It certainly did feel like a 5 star among RIADS but nowhere near a 5 star HOTEL. The riad booked a taxi for us from the airport and someone picked us up at the big square and took us to the riad. On the way back, that wasn't necessary as by then we knew our way (10 min walk) . We took our own luggage to the square and took a cab from there. It cost around 60 din. During our stay, we booked a tour to the waterfalls through our riad.The guide took us and tried to scam us once we got to the mountain. We found out there is a distinction between a guide (who only does 'driving') and a guide who took us up the mountain and charged us 200Din more than agreed. Upon our return, the riad manager intervened and made the tour company refund this additional amount. That left me with a very positive impression of the riad.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank EllenHK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 8 July 2012

A place to return at anytime. We highly recommend this Riad. The staff is very friendly but also very professional. The Manager of the hotel is very attentive and helpful. Please seek her advise for places to go and eat in the center.

Hint: Highly recommend to use the Airport pickup service from the Hotel. Finding the place for 1st timers will be an adventure you may want to avoid.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Isle of Man
Reviewed 8 May 2012

The Riad l'Etoile d'Orient was beautifully decorated and in a great position for access to the square. Our room was lovely and had everything we needed, the hot tub on the roof terrace was fantastic and mint tea was available whenever we wanted it! Breakfast wasn't great but it was acceptable, other than that and the 5am call for prayer which I guess you have to expect (they were fitting triple glazing during our stay!) the Riad was perfect.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This was a lovely Riad to stay in, the staff were very friendly and hospitable and the standard of accommodation high. We stayed for two nights, our airport transfer was on time and we were able to check in early. The breakfasts were good and we were offered mint tea on arrival (and on other occasions too). The onsite hamman looked good and there was a rooftop hot tub with views onto the mountains (which sadly I couldn't use either as I'm pregnant). We stayed in one of the ground floor rooms which athough was on the small side, it was well equipped with a flatscreen tv, towelling robes and a really good shower! The only downside to the stay was the noise from the early morning prayer call at the local mosque and also from outside however it would always be quiet overnight and to be honest I think that anywhere in the medina would have the same noise levels. The location was also excellent as it was easy to find and very close to the main square, it was also easy to walk to all the points of interest from. Overall I would recommend this Riad, we really enjoyed our stay and would definitely go back there.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Really want to recommend this riad. I travelled alone, and as I changed my flight, so I just randomly choose this riad one night before I arrived at Marrakech. And I have to say that it's the best choice I've made in my trip. Its location is great, with walking distance to the square, the museum and school. And they have really new and clean room with excellent services. There're so many things I love, such as the mint tea, the lamb, the breakfast and view on the roof, spa, and the people. I felt very comfort and homy, they people there are very very nice. They helped me to call the airport for my lost luggage, they helped me when I was lost in the desert, they recommended me places to go, called taxi for me, and so many other things. I had a really great time there. It's definitely amazing! :)

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2012

This Riad is charmingly compact, although it has its own hammam spa. The rooms are well appointed , despite our inability to make the TV work and comfortable ( great bed !). Even though sited next door to the local mosque, the 4 am call to prayer did not wake us, not every day anyway! Within 4/5 minutes you can walk to F'naa square the centre piece of this truly multifaceted city. Having stayed in Marrakesh 4 times , in riads and the Es Saadi, we found this Riad certainly as comfortable and great value for money.
Talking of money, DONT change to dirhams in UK ( 9.9 to the £ ) wait till the bank at Menara airport ( 13.13 drh to £ ) !!!
Airport transfers and porterage from taxi to riad all included - and well organised.

Room Tip: we stayed on the first floor, less chlostrophobic than ground level
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2012

The Riad was everything it said on the label and more. However the approach to the Riad was mayhem and was an experience to us both having being off loaded by a taxi in Jemaa el Fna square due to the congestion of people, horses and carts, motor bikes, bicycles, market stalls and street entertainers. Which gave our first taste of the Moroccan ambiance.

Our Riad was located off one of the busiest streets through an arch and a narrow passage way. The large double wooden doors to the Riad opened to reveal the secrets within. The beautiful and imposing interior was overwhelming with its fresh, modern but authentic decor. It was picture perfect.

We were greeted and looked after by the small team who gave personal and exemplary service during our stay. Nothing was too much trouble for Abla and her staff. Even to the extent that when we were lost one evening, we returned to the Riad to clarify directions, Rashid contacted Abla who had just finished her shift for the day, she came back and escorted us to our destination.

During our stay we decided to have a Hamman and massage at the Riad, little did we expect that the girls who prepared breakfast and cleaned, could turn their hand to anything including massage!

We stayed in the "Dana" room. It was spotlessly clean and fully equipped with TV, safe, mini bar, hair dryer, robes and slippers. I personally was given the guided tour of all seven guest rooms when they were unoccupied, much to my boyfriends annoyance and I can honestly say that all the rooms are fabulous and are of a very high standard and would recommend them to everyone. It was definitely a five star Riad and hospitality without the five star prices.

We did have a bit of confusion on our last day between soup and soap, however the soup was delicious, even though we could not wash with it. Our compliments to the chef.

We hope to return soon.