“Like a family”
Review of Riad Dubai

Riad Dubai
Ranked #404 of 1,160 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Visited Marrakech for the first time and stayed in this familiar little but very fine hotel near the city centre. Good breakfast and fantastic dinner! Very friendly, short way to the souks. Rooms are clean and good place to start trips around.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Riad Dubai

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Beautiful riad in the centre of the old city. Traditional and extremely beautiful. Very clean and easy access to the main square. Most importantly the staff were amazing, my husband made very good friends with them and they looked after us very well. Felt like we were staying at a friends as they made us feel so at home. The fresh bread for breakfast is a refreshing start to the day and the hotels own dinner menu was just stunning. Planning to definitely return soon!

Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Visited Riad Dubai for the second time at same time of year in December 2013. The best place I stayed in North Africa last time has now become somewhat average and less good value.
This visit the place was not as clean as it had been. The place needed a bit more attention to detail and dusting and maintenance. The atmosphere has changed a little with maybe a change in management? Some staff still great. Overall disappointing and will probably not return. Better value and more options nearer the centre coming all the time in Marrakech with Riad overload but pick wisely and there are now much better options.

Room Tip: Higher floors probably better.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I stayed at this riad in Feb. 2014 with my 7-year-old son. We stayed 2 nights, went to Rabat for 2 nights, then came back and stayed another night. We contacted the hotel to have them arrange for someone to pick us up. Unfortunately for us, we took a long time to pick up our baggage and exchange money, so when we finally came through customs, our driver was nowhere to be seen. There were tons of drivers holding up signs and I scanned all of them and none of them were for Riad Dubai. So we went outside to the line of petit-taxis and were told that all of the drivers would have been in the area we just passed, so we went back inside and I asked to use a phone, found out that the only public phone was upstairs next to a store and I was headed upstairs (with all of our luggage), when one of the drivers stopped me and asked if I was looking for Riad Dubai. Apparently, he saw me asking everyone about it. He said he knew the driver because they all knew each other and had his number on his phone. So he called him, spoke to him in Arabic, and then told me the driver would be arriving in 10 minutes and for us to have a seat and wait. So my son and I waited and sure enough, the driver showed up and he was holding a Riad Dubai sign. He asked if we could wait for a little while because he had passengers to pick up. From what I gathered, the hotels contract with their drivers and tell them who is coming and on what flights, so the drivers are coming and going all the time. The other passengers we waited for arrived shortly and rode with us most of the way, but we were dropped off first.

We were met by one of the guys from the riad and shown to the riad, after several turns in an alley. At first, it seemed confusing to me, but by the 2nd day, we knew our way around. The riad is in the old part of town, so it might seem kind of grubby to some people, but this is exactly what I like about. We heard roosters crowing and saw mopeds zooming past us in the alleys and we initially got lost, but that helped us figure out where we were overall.

The guys at the riad are very nice and helpful. I had trouble turning on the heater in the evening and one of them came up to show us how it worked. Then I had trouble figuring out how to turn the channels on the TV and 2 of them came up to show us how it worked. Then I told them I was taking the train to Rabat, but I didn't know what time, so one of them printed off the train schedule for me. Whatever it is you need, they will help you with it. Even on the evening before our departure, I wanted to get in a carriage ride tour of town the following day and it was arranged for us. I didn't have the cash to pay for the ride the evening I arranged it, so they arranged for the driver to stop at an ATM the day of the ride and they took the money afterwards! Very accommodating! It costs a little more to arrange excursions with the riad, but it is so worth it because then they arrange the pickup near the hotel and you don't have to walk very far and rush.

The breakfast was very good, although I am not a fan of bread and pancakes, However, when in Rome, do what the Romans do! And there was always mint tea, so that made it even better!

My only critique of the hotel was that the locks on the door are just simple small padlocks. When we left for Rabat, I left some luggage in the room because we had paid for the whole week, and I took the key with me. When I came back, I found the door unlocked because presumably, the maids also have access to the padlocks. Nothing had been taken, but in retrospect, I should have communicated with the guys at the front desk, that I was going to take the key with me and that I was leaving stuff in the room. Normally, you wouldn't have to do this in a large hotel, but the maids probably don't expect people to pay for a room and not stay in it, like we did.

Overall, the atmosphere of the riad was very charming and authentic and I would recommend this hotel if you have an adventurous spirit!

Room Tip: Bathroom windows are open when you get there, so make sure they are shut at night and it will help w...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We had a lovely few days at the Riad Dubai. Our room was beautifully furnished - with lovely old furniture and rugs, opening out on to the courtyard. We had a hearty breakfast each day of bread, pancake, olives, soft cheese, juice and coffee. Always plenty to eat. Mohammed and the rest of the staff were always very helpful and courteous. It felt rather daunting arriving late at night and being taken down the winding alleyways to the Riad but after the first outing, it was easy enough to find. We really recommend Cafe Clock round the corner. A great find with smashing food!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JasminesCrew
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Stayed three nights with my daughter at this very authentic Moroccan Riad, right in the Medina district and within a short distance of all the sights. We both enjoyed the experience, the staff were friendly and very helpful. Make sure you have a good map as it's not easy to find and be prepared to wander down what seemed to be daunting little alleys to reach the Riad although the home owners around were polite and friendly. Great breakfast served on the roof terrace, clean room with all facilities and pleasing ethnic touches. Bathroom rather antiquated but plenty of hot water. This place is not for everyone but would please those with an adventurous spirit.
Thanks to the staff for a pleasant few days.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Judith S
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed at Riad Dubai for a three day break in Marrakech. It was clean and though basic very comfortable. The staff were friendly and gave helpful advice about Marrakech on arrival including a good map and a business card,which was great to give taxi drivers when trying to get back after a long day. The breakfast was lovely and could be eaten on the roof terrace. The negatives about the riad was that you can not get all the way to it by road and have to walk down a windy passage to get to it. We landed at night and this was quite daunting, though in the light of day and the friendliness of the locals it was an unjust fear. If you are looking to experience the real Marrakech surrounded by morroccans living their day to day lives then I am sure you will be happy to stay here. If however you are used to a more sterile environment a more modern hotel is probably for you. If fit you could walk to most of Marrakech's main attractions within half an hr. Taxis however were easy to find. Would I go back there yes, but wouldn't say it was for everyone.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family