“Gorgeous place but...”
Review of Villa Makassar

Villa Makassar
Ranked #31 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Like the other reviewer - this hotel was booked via a promotion.

First impressions - excellent. We arrived at the Villa around 11.30am, was welcomed, paperwork was kept to a minimum and we were escorted to a reception room where we were served green tea and pastries, excellent. Then we had a small tour of the Villa - again excellent. We were then informed that our room was not ready, fair enough, and we elected to then go to the roof terrace to relax. At 13.45 over 2 hours later - still no room. Nobody came to inform us how long the room was going to be - whether we wanted to have something or perhaps go somewhere, nothing. It wasn't until I went downstairs and asked - I was asked whether I had my room yet, was then escorted to the room - which still wasn't ready.

We then decided to explore a little - so we came back to the Villa later in the afternoon. Firstly the satellite box wasn't working. I tried, one of the members of staff tried, another member of staff tried, and finally the manager (owner?) tried. Still nothing.

When I had alerted the staff to the TV issue, I also had to ask about the time of the dinner, as well as the breakfast, because there simply just isn't the info in the room nor is it communicated. I additionally requested a bottle opener, and one of the members of staff said that she would speak to the boss. No corkscrew was received. 30 minutes later I went on the search for the elusive corkscrew, and found out why I hadn't received it. The manager (owner?) was at reception, and when I asked for a bottle opener he dispatched a member of staff for one. But then he had a few words with me.

He asked me where I had bought the wine and that normally they don't allow outside alcohol to be brought in from outside. FIne - but my view is that unless I'm told then how can I abide by these 'rules', but I apologised and said that I wasn't aware - which I wasn't . But the second part of the conversation was more troubling. He then told me that because we had such a great deal on the room, then basically he needs to make his money somehow, so..... Question: so if I had paid top price, would I be able to bring in alcohol - the indication was that I would. It would have been nice if somebody had come to tell me that's why I had received no corkscrew rather than me again asking for it.
End result: the member of staff came to my room - I gave him the bottle of wine, he opened it, and then took the corkscrew away. All very very strange....

The 'piece de la resistance' was when I reviewed my bill when I got home. I had been overcharged!!! Not for one item - but for 2 items. It was well 'hidden' but the calculation on the bill was wrong. Am I being paranoid if I think that it's another way to recoup the difference between what we paid and what the list price is? I emailed the owner. I was promised a refund. 4 weeks later - nothing. I emailed again. Finally I got a refund!!!!

My advice to the owner/management - treat every customer the same. You have set the price for the rooms whether it's direct, a promotion, etc. If you don't want the business, don't do the promotions, but this guest segmentation/categorisation/racism will not win you many votes of approval. Nor will you create an empathy that makes guests spend on those additional items - in fact quite the opposite - they will try their best to make sure they don't.

The WIFI coverage is patchy at best - unreliable - and also very very slow.

Despite what one reviewer wrote, we found the breakfast on the roof, excellent. Lot's of choice, ample quantity - really really good. The same goes for the included dinner Really really good.

BTW - the description of the Villa states that the outside swimming pool is heated. It isn't.

My advice - if you have the money to pay full list price, stay at the La Sultana just up the road.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank leighv
fouad926, Propriétaire at Villa Makassar, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2012

VERY STRANGE, WAITING 4 MONTHS TO SEND A NEGATIVE REVIEW...
I don't know why you do that but i will answer point by point.
WE DON'T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN OUR CUSTOMERS. WE RESPECT ALL OF THEM. THIS IS OUR PHILOSOPHY. SO I CANNOT LET YOU WRITE THIS.
You wrote: "like the other reviewer this hotel was booked via a promotion" and you can read all the excellent reviews we had from all the other customers who got a promotion or not.
In most of the hotels, you must know that the check in is at 2 pm and the check out at 12 . So you got your room on time but you forget to say that your flight was at 8.25pm and you made your check out at 6 pm. (Do we make racism when we allow you a so late check out ???).
We had a problem with the satellite box but you forget to say that this problem was tackled the same day at 6pm.
Food and drinks from outside are not allowed in the high standard hotels and it is the same for ALL OUR CUSTOMERS. I never told you that i need to make my money somehow. It is just insulting.
You have been overcharged. That is true, our night audit made a mistake and i am sorry about that, but you forget to mention the amount : 9£. What a big deal !!! I explained you that it takes a long time to send foreign currencies from Morroco and i asked my sister who lives in England to send this small amount. She was in holidays and she did it as soon as she came back. I am still wondering how you can mention this so insignificant point. It is very sad.
I am pleased to read that you did appreciate the place and the food. Again, THIS IS THE SAME FOR ALL OUR CUSTOMERS.
Sometimes we make promotions for the low season and we are very pleased to offer a very good deal to people who appreciate luxuous things for a reasonable price.

Reviewed 29 April 2012

As two ladies travelling alone to Marrakech we were keen to stay somewhere that felt safe as well as indulgent and we couldn't have picked a better riad than Villa Makassar for our adventure.
The staff were so friendly and welcoming we felt very special. The twin room we stayed in was spacious, clean and attractively decorated. The bathroom was nice with a good shower, although drainage was a little slow. The breakfast was plentiful and especially lovely on the rooftop terrace. The dinner was equally good. We had a brilliant fun hammam and body scrub experience followed by a very relaxing massage. The jacuzzi was a little cool on the first day but the current machine is a good idea for a small pool.
Villa Makassar is about a 15 min walk to the main square, but it is a straight road and in a good area so we didn't mind doing it even late at night. The door has a security camera and the staff will look out for you when you return.
I really don't think I could fault the place and would jump at the chance to return.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Lucy T
Reviewed 17 April 2012

The Villa Makassar riad is just as beautiful as in the pictures. Everything is new and spotless. The floors are cool and the marbled bathrooms a pleasure. There are many nooks and crannies throughout the hotel where we sat and enjoyed the art, the singing if birds and a cool drink. The staff is very friendly and professional, able to advise and willing to help. The manager Fouad is a warm and cosmopolitan man. The day trip they arranged for us to Atlas Mountain villages and nature walks was a highlight. We were 2 single women but this is also a hreat place for a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet (except for the birds and call to prayers which is lovely), beautiful and spotle...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Villa Makassar is a wonderful riad with its beautiful 'Art Deco' interior with every attention to the finest details. It is located in the hustle and bustle of the Kasbar where real Moroccon life goes on, but as soon as you enter the front door its tranquility awaits. We found the owner of the villa very hospitable and his staff attentive and polite. They were wonderful helping me with phone calls to the airport to retrieve my lost luggage which arrived two days later. Our room was both comfortable and chic, and the food we had, a chicken and lemon tajine as well as the breakfasts were very good. I would recommend the villa also for its location only about a ten minute gentle stroll to the main square.

Room Tip: Any room would be enjoyable as there is very little noise from outside.
1  Thank Sue B
Reviewed 13 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at Villa Makassar for a few days at the beginning of April. We couldn't praise the accommodation more highly. The attention to detail was outstanding and the owner Fouad was charming. He has sought and found the most exquisite artefacts from the Art Deco period and furnished his Riad with his prized possessions and made the villa quite beautiful. It is a privilege to be able to view the art and furniture whilst also enjoying the calm and serenity of this oasis in the middle of the busy narrow streets of the kasbah. The staff are all most attentive and pleasant. The manager Sofitane went way beyond the call of duty when a taxi we had ordered failed to arrive and he drove us to the restaurant himself.. A gem of a place to stay.

Reviewed 4 April 2012

We stayed for four nights at the Villa Makassar, within the walls of the Medina and only a ten minute walk from the lively square Jamma al Fna. The hotel has been completely refurbished in an Art Deco style with original furniture and original art, including 19th Century posters adorning the walls of the rooms and the public areas. We were there last week at the beginning of the tourist season, but the weather was against us with average unseasonable temperatures of around 16C, if we were lucky. The staff are superb and very attentive. The Spa offers a Hamman (steam room) and massage facilities with a jacuzzi. The walled outdoor pool looked fabulous, but due to the weather, we decided to give it a miss. The owner Fouad Graida is perfect as "mine host" and will make sure you have a good time. Will we go back - certainly.

Room Tip: Keep the hotel card in case you need a ride back in a taxi as I defy you to pronounce the street nam...
Reviewed 18 March 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a memorable 3 night stay at Villa Makassar. We can't speak highly enough of the accommodation, levels of service, friendly and helpful staff and the great location in the Medina. In particular the manager Sofiane is efficient, friendly and welcoming. He arranged excellent guides for us for a walking tour of the Medina/Souk and a trip to the Ourika mountains and recommended a beautiful Italian restaurant where we dined. Our room (Jules Leleu) was stylish, spacious and comfortable and breakfast on the roof terrace each morning was a particular highlight. The Riad was an oasis of tranquility away from the hustle and bustle of the Medina. We both had relaxing massages in the Spa at the Riad and there are small indoor and outdoor swimming pools. I would recommend the Riad for a relaxing stay in wonderful Marrakech and wouldn't hesitate to return for another stay in the future.

Stayed: March 2012