“Could be so good...”

Ranked #111 of 496 Hotels in Marrakech
UK
“Could be so good...”
Reviewed 10 October 2012

The staff love to remind you that this is the only 5* Holiday Inn. I would beg to contest the credibility of the 5* rating.

The staff are hit-and-miss. Luckily I speak French and a tiny amount of Arabic so there was no language barrier, but you will find that some staff are lovely and others apparently couldn't care less!

Check-in was painfully slow. Initially my reservation could not be found. I had to show a physical copy of my confirmation and then return one hour later. Then there was a copious amount of bureaucratic form-filling to be done; more than other Moroccan hotels that I had stayed in. I was sat down to work through the questionnaire. On completion, my room key had still not been issued so there was a further wait.

The pool is very nice; the water had patently been cleaned on our last morning as it was crystal clear. The pool bar is convenient though expensive by local standards.

We lost all the electricity in our room. Despite calling through to reception twice, nobody was despatched to assist us and it was only when I went along the corridor and into another room, where I found a housekeeper, was I able to find assistance.

Next to the hotel is a facility called "Nikki Beach". Here, every day, incredibly loud music is played from the afternoon into the evening. Unable to rest in the late afternoon, I contacted reception to complain about the unreasonable noise and request a room change. I was told "The noise is Nikki Beach, which plays music every day". Is that an excuse?! Nobody called me back with notice of a room change, even when I called reception thirty minutes later to again request.

A feature that does lend itself to the purported 5* rating is that you are led to your room by a bellhop, although I would rather that this were an optional feature, as I find it embarrassing when I have just arrived and have not yet procured and local currency that the bellhop is hovering, expecting a tip.

At checkout, I was issued a bill for the remaining unpaid taxes. I offered my credit card, but was told that I could not pay the taxes (MAD equivalent of around GBP 8) because the amount was too little. I asked the hotel to simply charge the card, without using my PIN number: apparently not an option. Nor would they waive the charge or allow me to pay it on arrival on my next confirmed stay. Not carrying any cash, I had to physically make a trip to a local bank, withdraw a note, return to the reception, and pay the lady!! This delayed my departure by one hour, causing me to miss my lunchtime tour bus into the Atlas Mountains, which was rescheduled for the next day. At what "upscale/5*" hotel are you ever forced to pay using cash?! I was also overcharged for taxes on a Priority Club Reward Night -- and charged twice for one night.

Finally, on my last night I had booked a Terrace Suite, but was placed in the lowest-category Standard Room. No partial refund or goodwill gesture was offered.

I have since contacted IHG Guest Relations to try and rectify the billing issue. My query was forwarded to the hotel management and I was promised a response within 48 hours, however one month later and alack nothing has been received.

I surmise that the hotel wants as little to do as possible with the IHG/Holiday Inn brands, as nobody wears any kind of Holiday Inn uniform or badge, there are massive issues with Reward Nights and Priority Club bookings, all my bills are printed on "Hotel du Golf" headed paper, the majority of the signage regards "Hotel du Golf"; and all their email addresses are hosted on a Moroccan website. Perhaps they are using IHG just for funding, or to get a good flow of guests from an international company. Either way, It seems that the hotel is complying with the absolute minimum of the terms in its franchise agreement!

It is desperately unfortunate that this is the way things are as this hotel has the potential to be excellent.

Room Tip: Do not go for a room on the outside! The noise from "Nikki Beach" is unbearable!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank zlost
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Du Golf, responded to this review, 3 November 2012
Dear zlost,

Thank you for being a Priority Club Rewards Member and taking the time to write us a comprehensive review. I am glad that you found our room accommodations good enough for your stay. Please accept my sincerest apology if you found your stay less than satisfactory due to the issues you encountered with our staff and noise levels at the hotel. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2012 via mobile

stayed here for 8 nights with my partner. what a stunning hotel. loved every minute and cant wait to go back. everytging was perfect from start to finish. although we hired a car as only a 20 minute drive so we did not get chance to use the free shuttle.

• Stayed July 2012
Aberdeen, Scotland
Reviewed 2 October 2012 via mobile

Am currently writing this review while sitting at the bar in the Holiday Inn Du Golf before returning home tomorrow. I can honestly say that on arrival we thought oh no what have we done, the location and the weather were not good. Now after 7 nights I cannot say enough about the friendliness and kindness of all the staff at the bar and the pool. They are all so kind and friendly and although our conversations have been in broken French and english, we got by and they have all been fantastic. Special mention to Toufique aka Manuel, Tariq, Karim, Unes, Ismail, Nebil, Adel and Robert De Niro. The service provided by these guys was second to none and we cannot wait to come back to this oasis in Marrakech to sample the generosity and kindness shown to us both by them all. Our room was absolutely beautiful with fantastic views of the golf course. Some laughs to be had by the so called golfers hitting the flag pole and landing in the bunker. Although this hotel is about 20 minutes from Marrakech it is a relaxing haven from the hustle and bustle of the mad city. Would highly recommend a visit and don't be put off by where it is, at the end of the day it is well worth a visit and although quiet it is full of peace and tranquility. One last point, Mona on reception was also excellent and sorted out our wifi problem and again was very friendly and helpful. Visit hotel du golf Marrakech, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Elsa40
Staffordshire
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Our room was spectacular with two balconies, had been decorated with rose petals and had one of the best bathrooms we had seen. The reception staff were helpful and spoke reasonable English . The only downside was that the bar/restaurant staff spoke little or no English (try ordering beef with chips and veg!).
The pool area was well maintained, shame about the rain. The golf course looked very good if only I had my clubs with me.

Room Tip: Corner suite is spectacular
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
England
Reviewed 23 September 2012

We stayed here during our short break in Marrakech. Upon arrival, we were fortunate enough to be upgraded to a suite (Priority Club members) which was very nice. This meant we had a corner balcony with sunbeds. Having read some of the review concerning staff and rudeness, we feel they were unjust. The Holiday Inn is what it is. If you're looking for somewhere to use as a base, then it's ideal. If, however, you're looking for something a bit more, then maybe this isn't the hotel for you. Clean and tidy, helpful staff, shuttle bus into the Medina (15 mins away, last one 6pm). Can't comment on the food in any great detail, as we only had one meal here but what we had was very good. Good breakfast buffet, and you're left to relax over breakfast.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 September 2012

My husband and I travelled to Marrakech in August, knowing that it was Ramadan and that it would be very hot. I had emailed the hotel before booking to ask if there were and restrictions , which would affect tourists. We were advised that there were none.
The hotel building was probably the most luxurious Holiday Inn we had ever visited. We stayed in a King pool suite, which was extremely spacious and had a wrap around balcony, with 2 sun loungers and a patio set and views over the golf course. The room decor was excellent and seemed quite new. The bathroom had a freestanding tub and a separate spacious shower cubicle. The bed was huge and very comfortable.
The hotel was exceptionally quiet so there was no trouble getting a space by the pool. As with the whole hotel, the pool area was clean and generally well looked after.The pool was large with a separate children's area, partially in the shade.
On the whole, we found the service to be quite friendly, but painfully slow, especially at lunchtime. Even with only a couple of tables to serve, the lunch snacks could take up to an hour to arrive. The food was average and quite expensive, as were the drinks - both alcoholic and non alcoholic. The extreme heat meant that it was necessary to take on lots of fluids. A 330ml can of coke cost about £3 from the minibar and about the same from the bar. We found a small shop about a 5-6 minute walk away from the hotel- turn right out of the main entrance. It is open from 10-6 and sells a variety of soft drinks and snacks at a fraction of the cost of the hotel. We stocked up everyday and kept the drinks cold in the minibar.
In the evening, there were usually more bar staff than guests, but they seemed intent on avoiding eye contact, thus making it difficult to get a refill, even when sitting at the bar!
The hotel next door has a variety of restaurants, most of which were closed probably due to Ramadan, but Leroy's Kfe served a variety of International and Morroccan dishes.We ate here several times due to the lack of alternative, but the food and Morroccan wine were always very good.
The hotel is a few miles from the centre of Marrakech and there is a hotel shuttle bus to and from several times a day. We used this on one occasion but the city was unbearably hot and dry.
French is the main language and only very basic English is spoken by most of the hotel staff. So brush up on your French before you go!!
For what we wanted - to relax and unwind - we found the hotel more than adequate. The food and service could certainly be improved.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Racoon12345
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Hotel Decor is second to none. Cleaning is the only thing we found world class. Rest was absolutily disaster for families staying more than one day at hotel.

No Many staff to serve or if they are there is language problem, hard working bar and restuarent staff but there is only training issue and languages barriers.

Rip off prices whithin hotel. once get charged and taxed twice for everything eat drink or use services. Confusing Tax TCS, TPT. not once charged twice.

Booking excursion with hotel no no no.

Shuttel service poor if one two people may be ok sometimes, if family might aswell pay taxi booked direct with taxi driver haggling with taxi driver is fun.

So many hidden charges when book with hotel. very expensive resort.
Ove all 9 out of 10 for decor and cleaningness
9 out of 10 for comfort
2 out of 10 for facilities within the hotel
2 out of 10 for service
1 out of 10 honesty and fair charges
1 out of 10 understanding families stay within the hotel
5 out of 10 maintenance in room facilities

Will we go back to same hotel ???

Room Tip: looking for connecting rooms fisrt floor. looking for quite room second floor far away from receptio...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family