“very good hotel, very good friendly staff -trying hard”

LABRANDA Aqua Fun Marrakech
Ranked #135 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Dundee, United Kingdom
“very good hotel, very good friendly staff -trying hard”
Reviewed 5 August 2011

My wife and I were there 26th july to 2nd August. Yes there seemed to be a bug around- BUT we didn't get it.The food was excellent - great choice, sweets too good.Plenty to drink including as much bottled water as you wanted.The staff were very friendly and very efficient.We watched the pools geting cleaned every night and early morning.
Would we go back ?- no - but only because it was very very hot.

10 Thank smiffy60

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Guildford, United Kingdom

Hi,

Just returned from the hotel yesterday and i have to put a comment up because the staff are working so hard and the hotel is actually great. My family arriveds after the outburst of sickness (which if you go out of the hotel you can see why, the market that tourists love to visit is dirty and just throwing illnesses everywhere) and we were all fine. The food is great, nice choice and i loved the pools. The disco only opened on Sunday but its ok, its underneath the reception area and children are allowed in for a while. I didnt stay too late but i did hear someone say its open quite late. My children loved the waterpark, ther are railings around the steps to the slides and i personally felt they were safe there. The features in the pool are really good too. Bar choice is great, and the rooms are very big and of a great standard. There was 3 of us in my room and it was massive with 2 double beds.

I really cant understand how some people are complaining, if you want the Ritz or Four Seasons then pay those prices. I paid a great deal for a 5* Family Holiday and thats what i got. I will definitely be returning.

Thumbs up from the Vickers Family AFC

10 Thank SuperGirl1976
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We stayed here from the 27th of July till the 3rd of August. After reading all these reviews before I left, I did worry about what I would find there. In fact it is nowhere near as bad as many people are making out. There were fridges full of bottled water in the restaurants, with many people taking two each at a time. There was a lot of food, and great choice for most, but as we are vegetarians, we did find that the options lacked a bit. The pools were mostly clean, the only things I found were a couple of crickets, but they were quickly cleaned away. Our room was clean, and yes the shower rain looked like it was going to fall off at any moment, but you can't expect it to be perfect, especially for what we paid. The bed was large and very comfortable. There are places to sit and relax, but if you want a sun bed, do be warned that many people reserve them early in the morning.

The shuttle service was good too, always on time. If your going there soon, my advice would be to go with an open mind. If you do, i'm sure you will have a great time. Oh and when we were there it was 40 degrees, and they say its only going to get warmer.

6 Thank Rups2
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We arrived late in the night on 6th July. First impressions were good until we got into our rooms which we changed due to building works and noise.
My parents stayed in theirs. On the second night, the hairdrier in my mum's room caught fire, and caused a bit of damage.
Trips to Marrakech were great it's the best city I've visited, but make sure you reserve if you do go, as we were asked to leave the coach one day as we had not reserved seats although we were told earlier in the day we didn't need to. The chucked loads of others off but we refused to get off. This resulted in other guests arguing with us, and the hotel manager taking an extreme dislike to us. We are not a load or argumentative family, but we were not going to to take it lying down. For a couple of days my mum and brother were very ill with food poisoning, but thankfully my young son was fine.
In the aqua park, the loud dance music was unbearable, then they started playing American R&B with very explicit lyrics.There were children everywhere so this was completely inappropriate.
The aqua park had a new pool open while we were there, on the third day it had been open, we stepped into the pool, and it was covered in algae, so we went to another pool.
On our final day, my mum had reserved a shower room. We had to wait an hour for that so we could not use it, or we would have missed the transfer. The manager, Kamal, I think, was so rude to mum and started shouting at her in the middle of reception.
Food was deceiving. It tasted great, but was always cold, even when it came out of the kitchen.
When I returned to England, I had the worst pains in my stomach and was sick constantly for 2 days, went to the hospital and doctors.
Summary - Looks and seems great until you start to realise how badly it was run, and that none of your comments are taken on board at all.
Please be careful what you eat!! Also, the smells from watering the gardens are at times unbearable.

Room Tip: Say you work for a travel review company
1 Thank SallyW81
Pickalbatros, Sales Executive at LABRANDA Aqua Fun Marrakech, responded to this review, 6 August 2011
Dear guest,

The local authorities in charge of hygienic control delivered the Aqua Fun Club an hygiene certificate which stipulates that a health inspection has been done by a delegate of the moroccan Ministry of Health and that the property respects and honors the hygienic standards,

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We stayed at the hotel from 24 -31 July, I honestly couldn't wait to be home.
Like everyone else I was prepared judging by the reviews that people had left who had already visited the hotel. At first I thought so many people were over exaggerating but
by no means they were true.
My husband was first to get diarrhoea followed by myself then
my son, I had a constant tummy ache throughout our stay there.
Even though the staff were constantly cleaning their is still a problem why so many people were getting ill.
On our last day there they did get
rid of the water dispenser and put
fridges in the restaurants and bars
stacked with bottled water.
For the money we paid for the
holiday it was honestly not worth it, as we hardly ate the food, the room had loose fixtures and fittings, the
patio door would not lock, it was a big concern for me as we have a 3yr old and 4 mth old.

Overall it wasnt a good holiday,
hopefully it would be much better when the hotel have sorted their issues out.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Raji-1

Norwich
Reviewed 5 August 2011

I have hesitated writing a review on here because we are currently going through a complaints process and claiming all our money back plus hospital expenses. However reading that there has been an outbreak since, it sounds as if the Hotel are not sorting the problems, therefore hoping another review will help you decide to NOT go here.
Our experiences are very similar to the majority of reviews on here, I wont repeat what other guests have said on their reviews but the bad ones are correct.

We arrived 03rd July, changed rooms twice, second room still had the previous guest PJ’s in. Overall, the rooms we looked at were unsafe, not clean, not new, dangerous and smelt very bad.
The construction work was constant throughout our stay, welders next to water slides, loud drilling and thumping noises. The first two days of our trip we came to realise this was a holiday destination from hell.

On the 3rd night I woke up to excruciating stomach pains, the doctor was called and I was given an injection, 2 hours later my temperature was up and I was rushed to hospital. I was admitted for 48 hours where I had various tests and drugs. The outcome of the tests was a severe stomach infection from food or dirty water, this hospital report has been sent to my travel company. For a 23 year old this was an extremely terrifying and worrying experience. I returned to the hotel and was greeted by the General Manager, I told him I had caught the infection from the hotel, his exact words were ‘well then all the guests would be ill’ the next day the General Manager was off sick.....
I spent the last 2 days of the holiday in the hotel room and by the pool by loud music being played to drown out the construction noises.

The people writing reviews on here and telling you to ignore the bad reviews really should have opened their eyes more.
To be honest they probably drank so much they missed the JCB’s.

3 Thank HotelBeachSea

Reviewed 5 August 2011

We arrived at the AFC on the 24th of July at first we thought the hotel looked great, it was late evening when we arrived, on the Monday we got up for breakfast on the way to the restaurant we walked past the many number of swimming pool….to our horror the water was green and clearly not fit to swim in. after eating we decided to sit by the kids pool with the pirate ship as this in my opinion was the only pool fit for use.

We eat lunch and an evening meal and went to bed, on the Tuesday I started to feel unwell so much so I was laid up in bed with severe D&V this continued for 3 day, on the Thursday I complained to the manager who could not careless how we felt, we then spoke with the rep Badi and asked if he could get us flights home as we were concerned about the safety of our two year old son. We were advised there was no flights and was informed we would be moved to another hotel, we packed and waited in reception for the transfer to the new hotel, to our surprise when the bus arrived we were meet by a further 20+ families that were also being moved due to them becoming sick whist at the AFC. We arrived at the new hotel and received a room at approx. 3:30 which was good as other families that were moved did not get a room until 9pm that evening. During the course of the day (Thursday) our worst fears become true when my two year old lad feel ill. He was violently sick and had severe diarrhea I went to reception and asked for a doctor to be called and advised the hotel this would be at their cost as clearly they had contributed to the illness with the poor hygiene at the AFC, I was advised they would not cover the cost so I asked to speak to the manager at the AFC who reluctantly agreed to cover the costs….in my humble opinion this was an admittance of guilt or an acknowledgement that there were issues within this hotel. When the doctor arrived my son was still suffering from severe D&V and the doctor was concerned so much so he administered an injection to stop the sickness, he also prescribed 4 separate treatments, anti-sickness, re-hydration antibiotics and anti-fever.

We have been home now since Sunday evening and both myself and my two year old are still suffering from diarrhea. We went to the doctors Monday who have sent off stool samples for analysis once these results have been confirmed I will update you all on either TA or the FB page that is up and running.

My only advise to potential travellers is DO NOT TRAVEL TO AFC….. you will regret it as we have.

3 Thank gah1972