“Not enough fun at the Fun Club Hotel”
Review of LABRANDA Aqua Fun

LABRANDA Aqua Fun
Ranked #136 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Manchester
“Not enough fun at the Fun Club Hotel”
Reviewed 7 August 2011

I, my husband, my 19 year old daughter and 16year old son stayed at the Aqua Fun Hotel from 27th July to 3rd August. The general apperance of the hotel was a clean and welcoming environment with relatively helpful staff at reception. We were given two rooms that initially appeared to be fully equipt and well presented. However, we found in both rooms there was no water supply - the basic of amenities! A day later the water supply was restored and we were all drinking bottled water rather than water from dispernsers. Hand sanatizers appeared everywhere. We were impressed by the number of cleaners who were constantly wiping and shinning the whole hotel. The evening entertainment was however horrendous. The woman singer was terrible and her voice boomed throughout the grounds.. The highlight of our holiday was the food that was provided by the Asiatique . The chef Ramesh and his team especially Omar and Sufian provided mouthwatering dish upon dish to intice us every evening. They went far beyond what they needed to serve us, they asked us for any requests we desired. I must say their food is the only reason we would return to the Fun club hotel. The staff explained that the hotel was only relaunched 6 weeks ago so they were improving the facilities on a daily basis. We made a couple of trips in to Marrakech city centre, where we found cheeky stallholders ready to sell over priced wears. The local hammaam was quite an experience. No frills but great value for money. End of July perhaps was not a good time to go as it was unbearably hot. Watchout for the unpredictable sandstorms. My children were watching t.v when a huge crack appeared during a sandstorm and within seconds the whole patio window crahed into the room which gave the teenage children a frightfull shock. No member of management came to see the damage , only were told another room was available when the pane of glass was eventually replaced. As for the med hotel reps they are arrogant rude idiots for whom to look at their lists of guests who need tranfers, who have paid for transfers, is too much trouble. I was told that I didnt need tranfer vouchers as the reps had our names on their lists. The rep told me he only deals in papers no paper no transfer! When he eventually looked on the list , ofcourse our names were on there.. my husband and childrens went quad biking which they felt was a fair ride for the price. Cant see us going back in the near future. Not enough fun at he Fun club!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank ManchesterAzam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2011

We stayed at AFC for 10 days between 27th July and 6th August. Upon arrival in Morocco, we were picked up by a hotel taxi. He helped with the bags and got us back comfortably and quickly. Tick.

The hotel itself was impressive, the bell boy picked up our bags and we got a free fruity cocktail whilst we checked in which was quick and efficient. Slight concern was our room was 4211 which was one of the blocks we'd heard bad things about. The room had a SLIGHT wiff of drains and the sliding door didn't lock but no bother on the 1st floor tbh. Had to get our safe unlocked which was handled quickly next day.

Food: excellent. No other words. The choice was wide and varied and the staff checked the temps etc regularly. Loved it, available most of the time as well.

Pools: very good. Cleaned each night, tested each day (witnessed this) and we swam every day, our preference being the smaller pool near reception. 3 swimming pools plus the kiddie pool with the pirate ship in so loads of choice.

Room: needs work. 2 x 4ft beds was a bad call, 2 x 2ft 6in beds that clip together and a sofa bed would have been better. The lack of locking patio door wasn't a worry but some people are ocd and couldn't sleep I suppose. The water went off twice, both around 10am for 20 mins. Not bothered, fixed quickly. The cleaning was very good and we had 2 or 3 bottles of water left per day. Drains smell 3/10 nights but not too bad that a quick spray of body spray didn't mask and normally gone by 2am.

General: hotel improving all the time, bars doing cocktails, manaical watering really showing results, signs etc going up. Water bottle fridges returned, extra PC arrived, more and more sunbeds about. You could still pick where you wanted at 9:30am and even 10:30 there were some available still.

Neither of us were ill, we drank about 4l of water per day and ate 3 good meals. The sun is warmer than the weather suggests so take care with that.

This WILL be a 5* with some snagging, certainly Sharm standards and Marrakech is trying to become the next Sharm-el-Sheikh. Get in early while it is cheap, you will not regret it!

• Stayed July 2011
15 Thank Adam_K80
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Just arrived home last night. After reading some reviews was a bit worried . Arrived and yes it was a long wait at customs but the hotel cant help this. Staff were very helpfull, food was excellant good variation and plenty if your a vegitarian. Bar staff were friendly. We had my 15 year old son with us and he had a great time liked the aquapark and thought food was great. So if a teenager never found anything to complain about it puts to shame the whinging people who complained about anything and everything. one woman having a go at staff as her kid was alergic to the heat!! People seemed to be very quick to complain , you can get dodgyu stomach anywhere. And i found it a little depressing people moaning as if the place was a deathtrap and in my opionin showing them selves up with petty borrish moans.
In total i had great time aqua park was very busy sunday but rest of week was ok.
food was great and wide choice. So go open minded and if you do find a problem tell the staff they will help. Remember to take water in plenty of water when your there, its africa so its gony be hot.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank WAUGHBOY
Corcaigh
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Myself and my girlfriend stayed at the Aqua Fun Club from 30th of July to the 6th of August. Very apprehensive due to some of the awful reviews we read. The place was great! The hotel was spotless - an army of cleaners constantly cleaning. The food was good, plenty of selection and as much as you wanted. A restaurant with a menu would have been nice (it was all buffet) but the freshly prepared pizza, pasta, flatbread, chicken omletes, crepes...made up for it.. Drinks good too - the draught beer in particular was lovely. The staff do need more training when it comes to preparing alcoholic drinks - they tend to make them too strong but when you don't drink and it's not a part of your culture it's hard to get right. Rooms cleaned every day, fresh towels, pjs folded! Pools around the hotel are lovely and the sun loungers are very comfy. There are plenty there but it doesn't stop some guests getting up at 6am and getting the towels on. As the week progressed this got earlier - I'm sure that by the end of the week some of them didn't even go to bed (you know who you are!). Air con was excellent throughout the complex too. Now for the bad bits (not very many but one very important one)...
Do not rely solely on the waterpark staff to keep you safe. Use your common sense and be aware of what's going on around you. I was getting out of one of the rubber rings to step off a slide when my feet were taken from under me and I cracked my head off the slide floor - a stupid kid came down the slide before it was clear. It was the job of the staff to set people off when it was safe to do so but on this occasion two people were in charge of 6 slides - one of them had been napping. I suffered mild concusion but it could have been much worse if it was two adults that hit me. The park is great fun but look out for yourselves - health and safety is not what it's like in Europe. Other minor niggles - many of the pool qs are already wrecked; table tennis bats are rubbish; difficult to find the crazy golf equipment, the tennis court has a lot of builder's gravel on it; the singing lady sings three songs and takes a 47min break and some of the staff are allergic to smiling. I really can not relate to some of the v bad reviews I read - it sounded like a different place. You will not get a better value holiday this year - go for it, go for it, go for it!

Room Tip: Shower very powerful and floods easily - be careful.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank ardentoCorcaigh
Sheffield
Reviewed 7 August 2011

This is a full low down and very honest unbiased report of the Aqua Fun Club. It may be long but I hope it helps. Broadway Travel have stopped sending guests and I will be writing to them soon.
Arrive 27th July 10.45pm told rooms not ready please go and eat and come back in 30 minutes, take the oppourtunity to look round, the place is new but looks pretty good, pools in the dark look pretty good and infact pretty pleased that I have come with an open mind, have a little to eat just bread etc to be on the safe side. Return to reception and given rooms 4102 and 4103 these are near to the car park but on entering the roms there is a strong sewage smell but my family are tired so we decide to sleep in them. Next morning 9am breakfast then I will ask to be moved. A strange atmosphere not many people about non of the usual kids in the pool towels on the sunbeds etc. infact not many peole about, but for me thats great as I want to relax let the kids run riot in the water park all sounds good. After breakfast back to the room still smells and I can now see why outside our rooms there is 9 inches of standing stagnent water and people working on the drains all around the complex digging out what appears to be sewage sludge, the so called football pitch is covered in the sludge.
Go up to reception to ask to be moved a little less confident in the place but still got an open mind. Before I have chance to speak receptionist says they know there is no water, not sure why she has said that I just want to move rooms, told it is full but come back at 3pm.
At the reception I meet 2 men who are asking for the manager and I enquire if they are having a problem with the place. Wow have they had problems both their families have been violently ill for 4 days and still not well. Manager arrives says they are an isolated case and everyone else is okay. This is not the case as we ask a few other people who are wlaking about and they have also been ill, one girl had actually passed out. There are quite a few people at reception all not happy and have been ill, some are trying to get flights home thats how bad they have been, manager still insist there is no problem. Luckily the rep arrives listens to peole and suggest they are moved, thank goodness, he admits after there have been many complaints and they do not know where the problem is. I do not feel safe and decide it is time to move hotels and request to move with 30 other people who have been or are still not well. 28th July move to the Mirage hotel and wait for hours for a room, a family who came with us has a 2 year old daughter who is violently ill in the hotel, not seen someone so ill for years I am pleased we have made the desicion to move.
Royal Mirage facilities etc not as good as the AFP but everyone looks happy and above all healthy, pools clean, food okay and all seems wells until night time when the disco goes on until 5am, I have complined about this but told they can not do anything about it so not slept for days.
Finally quite by chance I talk to the Hotel Group Vice President and I discuss all the problems people have been havng at the AFP, he thinks it has been exagerated so I suggest that I take him and show him the conditions, to my suprise he agrees.
We arrive at the AFC and the water around the room we were in has now been drained but you can see the water line on the wall, the man hole cover have been put back on but there are mounds of sewage sludge at the sides. I am told that the water comes from wells and is treated before been applied to the land etc. but it still has a sewage odour but is quite safe and they have had all the health reports on it, this is true.
The vice president Mr Abib accepts that there could be potentially problems with the drains but the issue has been addressed. We then enter the Hotel reception to discuss the problems with the manger, he still insists they are isolated cases but I put it too him that I left the AFC with 26 other people and met 4 more at the new hotel and talked to more than 20 more familes at the AFP who remanined even though they were ill that means that over 10% of the Hotels capacity was or had been ill surley this should set alarm bells ringing. The AFP manager still denies any problem call me a trouble makers and tells me I am not a guest of his and it is none of my business gets up and walks off.
Mr Abib suggest we leave as he has found his biggest problem, he appreciates that he has not been getting true information about the extent of the problem. He is sincerly sorry for ruining my holiday and that of many other families and I do beleive that they are DOING ALL THEY CAN to resolve the problem but it is very difficlut when all food, water test come back positive.
Mr Abib has done all he can to make my last 2 days very enjoyable it's apity about the other 8 days of hell.
Good luck to anyone who decides to go and stay at the AFP I hope the problems get sorted, my advise to anyone going is don't at the moment but I am sure in the coming weeks it will be fine know that tey have accepted there are problems.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Holyhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2011

Stayed at the Aqua Fun Club from 20/7/11 - 3/8/11. This was during the time where people were suffering with D & V. We were a family of 18yr old son, 15 yr old daughter, me and hubby. During the 2nd week out daughter had sickness and diarrohea for 24hrs, I managed to curb my diarrohea with Immodium which I had taken in plentiful supplies. I believe the bug was caused by using tap water to wash our teeth and ice in the drinks. Fair play to the hotel, they did use anti-bacterial gel outside the restaurants during this time and changed supplies of water from the water fountains back to bottles in fridges - always a plentiful supply during our stay. The food was fantastic - especially the Asiatique and Tagine restaurants - excellent choice and plenty of it. The service in the restaurants was excellent too. Consider that the cost of staying here was approx £45 per day including full access daily to the waterpark, which would set you back at least 20Euros per person in other countries - a bargain!!

We went out there with an open mind and decided we could put up with anything as long as we had air-con and hot water. On 2 occasions when showering to go out, there was no water at all - but 20 minutes later it came back on!! Hey this is North Africa after all. 5 star in Morocco is not like 5 star back home and we truly believe we had a fantastically cheap holiday.

We all enjoyed the water park - which was not without it's faults. The music could be rather loud. The entertainment team- Hassan, Sarah and Simon work damn hard to keep guests amused and entertained with very little resources.

Some people were determined to look for the faults and were constantly moaning around the pool - I do genuinely feel sorry families who were affected by sickness but the hotel in my eyes were doing its best to try and overcome these problems. They were constantly cleaning, gardening and most of the staff were very nice indeed!

The shuttle bus to Marrakech which we used on 2 occasions was on time and not overbooked. We enjoyed an evening to the Square in Marrakech by booking a taxi from the hotel and return pickup at 10.30p.m. Again no problems!

Consider what you have paid and overlook the smll problems they are having with the running of the hotel - we did and had a fabulous holiday - a bargain!!

Room Tip: We were in 4235 and 4236 - ok hairdryer didnt work but had my own - good firm beds.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
9 Thank Welshbeauty19
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2011

My wife and I were there 26th july to 2nd August. Yes there seemed to be a bug around- BUT we didn't get it.The food was excellent - great choice, sweets too good.Plenty to drink including as much bottled water as you wanted.The staff were very friendly and very efficient.We watched the pools geting cleaned every night and early morning.
Would we go back ?- no - but only because it was very very hot.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple