“A Relaxing Holiday.”

Ranked #133 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
New Forest, United Kingdom
“A Relaxing Holiday.”
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Stayed from 8th to 15th October and had a really nice time. No upset tummy to speak of. Good selection of food. Plenty of drinks to choose from. I spent lots of time swimming and managed to come home weighing less than I went - though lost only a little weight. The aqua park was really lots of fun. I did hear of one man cutting his head open and some of the slides are a little scary at first but I think you just have to use some common sense and you should stay safe.

Had a nice room (4106) in a block of five which was groung level and close to the pool and to the bar and also a reasonable distance from the louder music when the animation team were doing their thing. Also had a view of the mountains in the distance.

I have to say that I did not think much of Marrakesh itself. Went in on the shuttle bus the first time with a bit of a hangover which did not help. Very busy, noisy and a little smelly where you get dropped off as it is by the horses and carriages. Walking through the souks is a bit daunting during the day as its very easy to lose your bearings but worse than that is the scooters buzzing past you. If you are going with children you will need to be very cautious. A second trip into Marrakesh in the evening was certainly as crazy as during the day. I kept away from the souks so have no idea if scooters are still buzzing about. Lots going on in the main square in the evening and lots of noise to go with it. There were lots of children to bug you into buying junk and almost as many women carrying babies and begging.

The worst part of the whole experience for me was the airport. There must have been upwards of a thousand people going through passport control so it took a while and coming back is no different. Be prepared for queueing and be sure to get to the airport in plenty of time when coming home. A word of advise - you need to fill in the same entry card on leaving so have a pen handy. Maybe take some with you to the hotel and fill them in at your leasure.

Don't worry about buying Dirhams as they readilly accept Euros. I carried single US dollars which I had no trouble with and was good for tipping.

Some of the previous reviews have focused on the attitude of the staff. In my experience please and thankyou go a long way and being polite costs nothing. Tip the staff and be polite and you will have a very nice holiday. I found ALL the staff very polite, courtious and happy. Some of them cheeky but they like to have a laugh with you - not at you.

Some of the previous reviews also said about the lack of hot water. I think this is due to the hot water only being heated through solar energy and if the block you are staying in is busy then you are going to find that if you leave it late to have a shower you are going to get a cool one. I did not let it bother me and for the most part my block of five rooms was not heavily occupied.

I hope this review helps you and I wish you a happy holiday.

Room Tip: I was encouraged to return to reception the following day if I did not like my room. Take a walk to...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Faultlessphelps
waleed E, Manager at LABRANDA Aqua Fun, responded to this review, 22 October 2011
We would like to thank you for your review,
We are doing our best to better rooms' fittings to make the guests more comfortable, especially the hot water problem, which is sorted out these last days.
A cash machine has been installed lately due to many guests requests.
For your information, guests are equals for us, so the rooms' assignment is subject to availablity upon check-in. Some rooms' requests are allowed only for some special occasions.
We are ready to welcome you once again for your next holidays to our sunny resort.
Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 17 October 2011

After a week staying at the Aqua Fun Club, I can safely say it's a hotel that I would definitely recommend. I think that it has now been able to get over any teething problems guests experienced when it first opened - although unfortunately those negative reviews have seemed to make people think they have a licence to complain over the most trivial things.

My friend and I stayed in the 'dreaded' block 4 which has garnered negative feedback previously, but we had a lovely room with no problems. All of the staff are friendly and seemed happy to help us with anything (even if that meant keeping the nightclub open until 3am for just eight people!) and the hotel had a lovely atmosphere - although there were some guests who made us feel as if we were in an episode of Benidorm! Food was great and I was never disappointed. The aqua park was so much fun but I would have liked to see some of the slides open more often.

My only problem was that the hotel was around 30 minutes away from the centre of Marrakech and it would be easy to just stay in the hotel the whole time. But I would urge everyone to experience the souks and Jemaa el-fna because it's an out-of-this-world experience and the shuttle bus and night trips make it so easy to do. I would also recommend a camel ride booked through the guy at the front of the hotel - we had a fantastic and informative guide, the trip lasted much longer than I was expecting and you have a break for mint tea and crepes (delicious) in a Moroccan village which gave you a real insight into day-to-day life.

A great holiday at a lovely hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank jemza
We would like to thank you for your honest point of view.
We are always working on improving our staff's customer service skills, because we believe that the hotel staff is our big asset for improving our service and gaining more faithful customers.
It is in this perspective, that we are providing continuous training to our employees in all departments : kitchen, restaurant, housekeeping, front office, etc., so as to ensure that our guests are looked after, from their check-in until the day of departure.
Thank you again for your nice review, and please don't hesitate to come and visit us again.
Regards,
Aqua Fun Club Team
Oban, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2011

Had a great week here. Hotel very clean, rooms very comfortable, food fine, although you tended to end up with some strange combinations because of the choices available. One downside would seem to be the amount of people who just seemed to drink from morning 'til night and become louder and louder, and feel the need to share their thoughts with anyone within earshot......... not really very pleasant at times. Some also tended to be fairly abusive to staff, including one nice old lady who insisted on telling the chef that his food was a disgrace, and that there was nothing for her to eat........ doesn't really show our country in a very good light.

2 Thank karen m
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I am arriving with my family tomorrow Tuesday 25th October. I am looking for an email so i can contact the hotel direct before we arrive. 1) to ask them to book a reliable taxi for us for when we arrive at the airport. 2) to see if i can upgrade the room! Also the weather sadly doesnt look that good (typical of my luck) lol. Also would anyone recommend exchanging money when we arrive or just going to a cash machine if and when needed as you cant get currency from the UK?
Please dont accept my 5 star reviews as I havent arrived yet but it asks for them before sending this message.

Cheers
Mr Starr

1 Thank BenEvansStarr
waleed E, Manager at LABRANDA Aqua Fun, responded to this review, 18 October 2011
Dear guest,
We are honoured that you chose our hotel for spending your holidays with your family.
Every member of our staff is waiting for you and we will do our best to guarantee you the best stay in our Club.
This is my email for any request or suggestion : elsokkary@pickalbatros-morocco.com.
We are looking forward to welcome you the 25th of October.
Best regards,
UK TOWN
Reviewed 15 October 2011

Stayed here for a week returning 2nd to 9th Oct. Well worth the effort clean and well presented friendly staff, good food with plenty of choice. Also some good entertainment. I am not one who usually bothers with the evening entertainments through past disappointments, but here a good effort was made a great Moroccan night.
Also i must commend the Animation team who are very friendly and really fun, once again i am a bit of a sceptic and usually avoid the animation team. But Sarah, Housni and Hamza really are some good people really want to make your stay better rather than going through the motions. The Animation Team do an accompanied visit into Marrakech by night which was well worth the few quid it cost Guided by Sarah and another girl from the team. v good v informative.
The layout of the hotel is good because the Water park is on one side of the hotel and then there are a couple of pools in the gardens on the other side giving a nice quiet area for sunbathing etc. and there were always plenty of sunbeds. The water park was busy on Saturday as a lot of people from outside came in but all other days it was not busy and you could always escape to the other side of the hotel.
The only small criticism i have is that there is piped music around the grounds in the quiet area which is quite repetitive and sometimes a bit loud, but it is not turned of when the animation team do there bits ( aqua aerobics, games etc) so it clashes with their music and ay a couple of places around the pool you got both sets of music at the same time. This could easily be rectified ( hope you take this on board Mr Manager)
All of the staff were friendly and wanted to be helpful. Most of the customer facing staff spoke good english and even if they didnt they would fetch someone who did, but i did find my smattering of french very useful.
The Gardeners and constantly present cleaning staff spoke little English but always had a smile especially if you say Shokran (thankyou) always met with beaming smiles.
All in all a great hotel and a great stay

1 Thank Doobrey
waleed E, Manager at LABRANDA Aqua Fun, responded to this review, 16 October 2011
Thank you very much for your review.
We are always ready to read every review from our guests, as their point of view will help us improve our service, and be better at our business.
Considering the issue of the clash of music around pools, we received many complaints from guests, and we are now changing the music program for all the hotel.
We have now everyday a theme going from oriental, jazz, occidental,etc. and this is changing every week, in order to make our guests enjoying more the music and relax more.
We thank you again for your suggestions and we look forward to welcome you once again to our sunny resort
Management.
stockton on tees
Reviewed 15 October 2011

We were at this hotel from 2nd-9th October.

We booked this hotel 5 months ago, and have been following the reviews with some apprehension.

When we got there we were blown away by the beauty and size of this hotel, no photograph does it justice
Beautiful hotel, staff very polite and friendly, and continuously cleaning. Facilities very good, great weather, ice cold drinks, and a vast array of food always on offer. We both commented on how and why anyone could write a bad review on this place, it's pure paradise!

Now we're both not the type to sit around the pool and do nothing but sunbathe for a whole week, that would just be pure boredom, ( not the hotel's fault, just our preference ) so decided on a couple of trips, Marrakesh, and perhaps a day trip to the mountain's. DO NOT BOOK YOUR TRIPS VIA THE REP IN THE HOTEL, they will cost you a fortune. The best way to get around and see places at HALF the cost, is to book a guy called Mohammed, his contact number is [--], this guy will make your holiday. He is friendly, speaks excellent english, and cannot do enough for you, even if that means running over by an hour or so, jot his number down before you go.

So, generally excellent, BUT, as the week wore on the odd crack did appear.
getting stranded in Marrakesh by the HOTEL BUS!!!, then having to pay a taxi to get back, and the manager obviously not interested in re imbursing us ( and 6 others ) after a couple of attempts.

Getting the hotel reception to order a taxi for us ( the hotel's free shuttle bus was suddenly not running that day ) that didn't even bother turning up.

both getting S & D on the Friday, WITHIN 5 MINUTES OF EACH OTHER!! we had both eaten the exact same thing that day, so are certain that's what caused it, and just getting over it now, a week later !!! ( be very careful when eating there, DO NOT EAT THE FOOD UNLESS IT IS HOT! ) there is a lot of food there that is put out but is not kept hot, we found this on most days.

then on Saturday evening, the night before our early morning departure, we were inundated by Morrocans, getting ready to go and see their national football team playing in Marrakesh on the Sunday. They were still shouting and screaming on the kareoke machine, and playing very loud music at 3.45AM SUNDAY!!!!!! Why was this allowed to happen Mr Waleed El Sokkary?

S o, generally great place, good hotel, but if they could just sort out these little niggles, it would be fantastic, especially the 'warm food'. Come on Aqua Park, how many more people need to be ill before you wake up!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2011

We paid £470pp through Sunsave.com on a last minute deal. We were realistic in our expectations after reading reviews and as we had never been A1 before went with an open mind.
We are on our last day of our holiday and the mark we have given the hotel has been changed due to a couple of things I have now had time to think about. It would have been higher had they not decided to dig big holes next to our sundbeds and repair the pool with no obvious thought for health and safety, leaving holes exposed and pipes running across the tiled areas.

Up until now it was a relaxing break with glorious sunshine. Only moving during the day to get involved with Aqua aerobics. Now I find myself a bit put out and a bit of the shine has been taken off.

Check In and Room - this went without a glitch. We were happy with our room. Basic and lacking the mini bar and iron that was advertised but plenty big enough. we had a slight problem with the shower pipe splitting one night, but this was fixed quickly upon the first time we asked.

Food - the food was ok. Nothing spectacular but you could always find something. Even if it was a plate of pasta or fresh pizza. One gripe is that it is advertised as having 3 resturaunts serving different styles of food. This is not the case. All 3 served the same, the labels are not always correct and the food isn't hot. The snack bar offers panninis and chips but gets very busy and the ordering system goes out the window.

Drinks-the local spirits take a while to get used to, the cocktails are for those with a sweet tooth. My advice is to stick to wine or beer which are much nicer. It's hit or miss if it comes in a glass or a plastic cup which I found a bit off. Especially at night in the bar areas.

Pools-I couldn't find all ten! We spent most of our time round the Micky Mouse Pool. It's a bit livelier. Although the music round there gets repettative. This is where the Animation team do a great job of getting everyone involved. As mentioned before I think they are having problems with it and they are curretly digging it up in various places! We didn't try the Aqua Park. We did notice however that it doesn't seem to all be open at once. Maybe as it is a quiet time.

Staff-the hotel is kept very clean. The only problem is the gardeners and path cleaners use stagnant water which leaves a horrible smell which is off putting. All of the staff are really friendly. They work long hours but are always smiling. A particular mention has to go to Sara in the Animation team. She is a little star and the hotel are lucky to have her. She is so friendly and enthusiastic about everything she does. It is great to see.

Overall you can tell this hotel has potential. Lots of little issues need addressing before it is anywhere near being a 5*. Give it a year or so and I think it will be worth coming back again. When we booked we thought we were getting a bargain, but I would have been thoroughly disappointed had I paid any more for it.

In all it fitted it's purpose. A good place to relax and forget about work for a week. However luxury 5* it is not. I would recommend it to a friend. Only for travel this sort of time next year though when it is more established.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank KayleighF_1987
Thank you so much for your frank review.
Since the new opening of the hotel, we received many complaints from unhappy guests, either directly, while they are still spending their holidays, or by email, or in this website.
All this complaints are important for us, as they are making us change our strategy and improve our service to sort out any issue as quickly as possible, and to ensure a relaxing and happy holidays for all our guests.
Please, valuable guests, don't hesitate to give us more opinions and suggestions.
We promise you that you will find us better than we were at your previous visit.
Kind regards.