“Chill Out time”

LABRANDA Aqua Fun Marrakech
Ranked #132 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Stayed at the Aqua Fun Club last week for three nights. We went for some chill out time and it was as we expected and we had a really good time. The rooms were very spacious and clean. Food also as expected - quite a lot of variety and edible but not very exciting - there was a Moroccan corner but again not very exciting and I had been led to believe that Moroccan food was very tasty and different. I'm not complaining because as I say we were only there for three nights but I think I would have been very bored with it had we stayed longer. The bars were very nice and with a good choice of alcohol - we had as many cocktails as we wanted and nothing was too much trouble for most of the staff - there was just one member of bar staff that wasn't very friendly. Reception staff were friendly. The entertainment staff were very good and tried to involve guests in activities each day.

My only complaint is directed at the Spa. They had no towels or gowns. Apparently the towels were in the wash!!!!! Don't know where the robes were they just said they didn't have any. I had to go to my room to bring my towel for use after the sauna and Jacuzzi and then I went on to have a Hamman and had to use my wet towel there. It was freezing in there. The following day I went for a full body massage and a facial - again no robes but they did find a towel and it was still freezing in there. Not the pampering session I was hoping for - it took me a while to thaw out afterwards. The music was not quite the relaxing music you expect in a Spa.

I have to say though that it was all very good value (even the freezing Spa was cheap compared to home - not that I would rush to go back there for a pampering session) as I did not in the slightest feel pampered. Very disappointing so far as that was concerned.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Diane M
There are newer reviews for LABRANDA Aqua Fun Marrakech

Reviewed 30 January 2014

The hotel, for me and my partner did not live up to its 5* reputation for many reasons. Below I'll briefly outline advantages / disadvantages of our holiday.

Advantages:
- Big spacious resort (great for pictures and walks)
- Clean Swimming pools indoor & outdoor.
- All Inclusive drinks; Good choice of alcoholic cocktails & hot drinks, Bottles of water everyday to takeaway on request, All of the drinks still had their 'fizz' unlike ones in the markets that tasted flat.
- A Choice of two restaurants both equally spacious and welcoming.
- Good choice of food
- Waiters / Waitresses in the restaurants maintained a welcoming smile with quick hospitality
- Great cleanliness of the rooms every day, the hotel was well maintained for also.
- Good markets to browse for all things Moroccan!
- In the 'new town' there was a lot of familiar stores such as Zaara, Monsoon and Louis Vuitton also familiar places to eat such as Pizza Hut, Mcdonalds and KFC.
- The spa was brilliant, the staff who work there really make your visit comfortable and relaxing. The spa offer many treatments such as facials, massages and pedicures which they take their time with as opposed to it being rushed and not made to feel like a relaxing experience.

Disadvantages:
- The staff speak little English which is an inconvenience when trying to ask questions or present a complaint.
- There is only Wi-Fi in the lobby area of the hotel
- Not much entertainment in the hotel for guests
- They allow cats to roam around in one particular restaurant in the hotel (pizza pino) without shooing them out. This irritated me, my partner and many other guests staying at the hotel. Also some guests thought it would be acceptable to feed the cats so they would keep coming back. For me, having an allergy to cats this was not something I was content with and many times I found myself walking out of the dinning area because none of the kitchen staff would attempt to do anything about it until guests would literally have to ask them to remove the cats out of the dinning area.
- There was good choice in food however it was near enough the same lunch and dinner every day maybe just a different type chicken or fish. There was no change in the breakfasts, each morning you would find it was the same thing. Desserts were limited and there was hardly any choice.
- The hotel have a shuttle bus each day which takes you to the markets. The problem with this was you was encouraged to put your name down on the list a day in advance however if you was not clear about what times you told the staff at reception then it was clear you would miss your shuttle.
There was around 200 guests at the hotel during our stay yet only 28 seats available on ONE shuttle. This was a major inconvenience.
- When the weather is bad, there is not much to do in the hotel.
- The hotel offers a variety of water slides for guests, however there is no safety whilst on the water slides. One would think the life guards working on the slides would try and make sure the guests were safe.
In one particular incident; normally the heavier of the two would sit on the back of the inflated boat used to go down the slides however the life guard in charge of the slide had told my partner who was clearly taller than me and a lot bigger due to his muscular frame than me to sit in the front which did have me a little baffled but as you do, you'd trust the life guard thinking he know's what he's doing. Wrong decision. As the boat was sliding down the water slides it was great fun until we realised because the heavier person was at the front there was no balance in the boat so the boat literally turned over in such a haste that we tumbled out of the boat and painfully bashed our heads on the side of the slide which was rather painful. Once we made our way down the slide slowly we complained and even then it wasn't taken that seriously.
Those slides are quiet dangerous for kids.
- The life guards who work around the pool are quiet perverted. One in particular would often make sneaky comments whilst my partner wasn't there which would make me feel uncomfortable and not at all willing to stay by the pool.
- The marble on the floors in the hotel resort are very slippery. Although they look pretty they are quiet dangerous to walk on especially after one or two drinks.
- Addressing the situation before about the cats, some guests would take the cats back into their 'hotel room' therefore they'd be in the elevators, in the room lobby and on the stairs of the hotel rooms. Major disadvantage.
- Expensive phone calls if made at reception area
- No shops in walking distance outside of the hotel
- No where to go in walking distance in surroundings of the hotel, your almost barricaded into
the complex

6  Thank myaaraheem K
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We stayed 3 nights 25th-28th and for £200 it was incredible value. Food in the Italian restaurant (only one open during our stay) is excellent and plentiful. Pizzas are made to order. The room was adequate and the hotel in general was very smart and clean. Free internet is also available near reception which came in handy. The reps are very friendly and helpful.

As the weather was nice for the days we were there, we never bothered leaving the complex so just chilled all day in the sun. The beer is nice (5.2 percent) although it comes in cans the same size as a Redbull can so best to get 2 at a time.The wine is drinkable although I would give the spirits a miss as they seem watered down or less volume than usual.

All in all an excellent winter break.

Room Tip: Tips I would give is don't buy cigarettes at the airport as they are cheaper on site from the sh...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mog_zSwindon
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Stayed at the Aqua Fun Club 21/01/14 to 25/01/14. We found the site very clean and there were always people cleaning or checking things. The staff are very friendly and cooperative. We did hear some people complaining about the reception having maps for Marrakech and not distributing them, not a problem to us as our rep had given us one and advice about getting to the Souks.

The room we had was 2110 and had a small patio facing the Atlas Mountains which also caught the sun throughout the day. It had a king size and single bed. Air-con worked well to heat the room for the first few days as the temp was below 10c.

The hotel provides a shuttle bus twice a day that leaves promptly. We found it useful the one day as we had enough of Marrakech and needed a break so returned for lunch then went back into Marrakech for the afternoon. We would advise people to visit the two fixed price shops before buying in the Souks to give an idea of prices. They are the Artisan Centre on Avenue Mohammed V about 10 mins from shuttle bus drop off and a fixed price shop ETs Bouchaib on Rue de Kasbah It is set back a little bit from the street. Also about 10 mins from drop off. We think the hotel could provide a shuttle service later in the evening say leave hotel at 5-30pm then pick up at 9.00pm so you can experience the Souk at night.

The complex is very large and I am sure during the summer it would be very popular with families. If you want a quiet time go out of season.

The food was satisfactory and with enough variety over the few days. Though I wish someone teach the French the principle of queuing.

My wife had a spa session which was excellent value for money and great experience. It would have been useful if the pricing was in written in English so you fully understand what you are getting for your money.

3  Thank LesEd
Reviewed 27 January 2014

After reading some of the reviews we were a bit apprehensive about staying at this hotel. Our experience was fantastic. Although the swimming pool's were too cold to use (due to the time of year) they were cleaned every day, the staff were constantly cleaning and sweeping the area around the pools and eating areas, we had some rain whilst we were there which did make the floor slippery but staff would be busy wiping away the excess water straight away. The hotel was not very busy (it is a very big hotel) so only 2 restaurants were in use but the choice of food was good, we never went hungry and tried many new things, again the staff were helpful, courteous and friendly. Rooms were spacious, cleaned daily and we had a lovely view of the High Atlas Mountains from our balcony, we were in block A. The entertainment team worked really hard to keep everyone entertained, plenty to do, tennis, football, crazy golf the team give an full entertainment program from 9.30am. It was quiet when we went but I would imagine in the summer the hotel will be buzzing with the water slides all open, it's heaven for children.
The location was great for us as we did go out daily on trips to visit the sights in High Atlas Mountains and Marrakech, there is a shuttle bus which runs twice a day into Marrakech from the hotel but book in advance at it only has 26 seats.
We were very happy with our stay and would like to thank the staff for all their effort and energy.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank 161Kaz63
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Having read various reviews of this hotel we went with a very open mind however we were pleasantly surprised. the rooms were very large and clean whith good facilities. it wàs a good holiday due entertainment team :Nina,Samira,Mido,(Hassn i will remeber what i learnt from you)And youssef by the way i want to say to you and your team keep on like that !!very helpful you made our holiday great.
the few problems we had :sometimes wifii is slow in th rooms,the warter in the pools was freezing but thas normal cuz its winter ,they were no many tourist in the hotel its calm.food was ok in generral i think we can not complain whith this few problems.
all in all we will comme back soon mayby in this summer but for sur we will see all of you thanx again for all staf who made our holiday fantastic then i want to say in arabic «Inchallah».

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank AnnaFun
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Stayed at the hotel 16th January . Flew with Easyjet, excellent. Had to look for the rep at the airport who was hard to find, once there the rep was extremely helpful.Had to change rooms 3 times, holidaymakers be aware do not have a room at the back of block B and C.as pumps or generators going all night long which will keep you awake. Apparently the best time to go for mature travelers is March on wards..Obviously none of the water park was being used, too cold
.We think during the summer the facilities would be fantastic for families. All the service was excellent, the food was excellent for African food, don't expect English food (there were chips if wanted). Rooms spacious and clean.
Resort was isolated and nothing to do locally during the winter months.It didn't help as it was raining and cold. Bar was short on whiskey, eventually found some, BUT for the REALLY cheap price we paid all inclusive, the whole deal was very good

Room Tip: Do not use back rooms in block B and C Go from March onwards
2  Thank Robert T